Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #1

Kuhmo Tires at Carlisle

Was looking at Speed channel today where a representative from Kuhmo tires attended the Carlisle auto show. Kuhmo had a set of tires which smoked red and blue when burning out.

The rep said Kuhmo is on the cutting edge of materials, techniques and compounds making high mileage and performance an eveyryday thing......Industry speak, I know. Some of the posts from you all support this and some don't.

My question is: there are MANY tire commentaries out there on this site. But how many of you are satisfied with Kuhmo? Does their price justify substandard performance, or are they substandard to begin with? On tire Rack they seem to be among the cheapest. Any news for "break through" tires on this brand in the near future? Any thoughts are welcome.

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #2

Some have said their Kumho's are wonderful tires... my set could not be properly balanced and I chuncked them. The cheaper Sumitomos I bought seem far better.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #3

I put Kumho all-seasons on my 98 Maxima last year. Could not be more satisfied with them. They are good on dry roads (good grip, average noise) but really excel on wet and even snow covered roads. Last winter, I got cought in a blizzard and my Kumho's were passing all-wheel SUV's on uphills like a joke.

Z.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #4

[QUOTE=jeffsquire]Was looking at Speed channel today where a representative from Kuhmo tires attended the Carlisle auto show. Kuhmo had a set of tires which smoked red and blue when burning out.

[QUOTE]

I was at Corvettes of Carlisle a few weeks ago. Was the Corvette car show featured on Speed or a different one? They had a burn out contest where a C4 corvette had the "red smoke" tires on. All I can say is I've never seen that much tire smoke in my life red or otherwise....is was something else. The crowd loved it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #5

I was at Fords at Carlisle when the 427 Cobra replica did the Red White and Blue burnout. Pretty cool.

The guy who won the burnout contest blew out both rear tires and ripped a large piece out of his passenger side quarter panel. I'm not sure it was worth it. First prize was 15 milliseconds of fame and a new set of tires.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Adam][QUOTE=jeffsquire]Was looking at Speed channel today where a representative from Kuhmo tires attended the Carlisle auto show. Kuhmo had a set of tires which smoked red and blue when burning out.

Quote:

I was at Corvettes of Carlisle a few weeks ago. Was the Corvette car show featured on Speed or a different one? They had a burn out contest where a C4 corvette had the "red smoke" tires on. All I can say is I've never seen that much tire smoke in my life red or otherwise....is was something else. The crowd loved it.

If this was recent then this was the same show. Those vettes were a beauty. I must say I was quite impressed with the red and blue burnout.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I was at Fords at Carlisle when the 427 Cobra replica did the Red White and Blue burnout. Pretty cool.

The guy who won the burnout contest blew out both rear tires and ripped a large piece out of his passenger side quarter panel. I'm not sure it was worth it. First prize was 15 milliseconds of fame and a new set of tires.

If they burned out on Kuhmos then my worries are not displaced. Hmmmm.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #8

Garage
Jeff-- As I see it..

it depends on what you're trying to achieve with a particular tire. If you're looking for a daily tire for driving--good wet/dry performance with a decent ride and low noise--I'd look elsewhere than Kumho MX.

The MX's we had were good for about 6K then got loud. I think they're a good value as a inexpensive auto-x/DE tire but that's about it. I'm putting SPT's on my wife's RX8--$95/tire--but it is mostly driven by the fact we won't be keeping the car more than a year.

My recommendation is not to cheap out on the tires if you intend to keep the car. Since your tire decision will affect so much of the car's performance/ride characteristics, a bad choice will adversely affect the quality of your driving experience.

When I was replacing the Michelin Mxx's on our '99' I thought I would save $200 by going with the MX's rather than Michelins--big mistake.The $200 price difference was negligible compared to the additional noise levels and reduced steering response;also, I never got rid of some vibration issues at speed .In short, I saved a few bucks but the car was less fun to drive

PS2's, GY F1 GSd3(?), Bridgstone 050A's Pole Position or Yoko Neova's are all good tires. They're not cheap but have the goods.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote