Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Oil in spark plug chamber

Just did a replacement of the 3 driver side spark plugs. Chamber and tube in the rear was very clean. Middle one had some oil and the front one had a little bit. Both the front and middle tubes were looking kind of disintegrated at the connection tip and also were a little more flexible than the one in the rear. I realize I have to change the tubes but what else am I looking at that needs to be addressed? I'll be doing an oil change tomorrow so anything I have to look closely at related to this? Also will be attempting the right side spark plugs tomorrow.

Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #2

Garage
You didn't say what year your car it is. If 2002 or older from your comment you need to replace the tube and and inner and outer oring that seals the tube to the head. Depending on how saturated the spark plug extenssion is you may want to replace the coil kit. Inspect the coil for cracks at the very least if cracked replace it.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Just replace the tubes and the two o-rings that seal each tube. Do them all rather than just the couple that are already leaking. Put a little bit of clean engine oil on each o-ring before you install it on the tube. Easy as cake.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 AM   #4

The three coils that I looked were good. But will take a closer look when replacing the tubes. They had some oil and dirt on them. I will replace all the tubes and and sockets for the sake of piece of mind. They seem inexpensive anyway.

So, I remove the spark plug, pull out the tube with pliers, apply engine oil to the new one and put it in with the o rings? Seems pretty simple.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #5

Garage
If you have trouble pulling the tubes, you might want to try a Boat Transom Plug ($1 at Wal Mart) to pull the stubborn ones out. Try not to crack the tubes when you pull them because pieces of plastic may get lost in the cylinder.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
If you have trouble pulling the tubes, you might want to try a Boat Transom Plug ($1 at Wal Mart) to pull the stubborn ones out. Try not to crack the tubes when you pull them because pieces of plastic may get lost in the cylinder.
Transom plug works great. Just be sure to cut off the shoulder at the top of the rubber piece and clean the plug and tube thouroughly with degreaser before using.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #7

Changed all 6 spark plugs. 1st one was a PIA. Last one was a piece of cake!

Anyway, 2 tubes on driver side had oil. One on pass side had a little and the other was oozing lightly. So definitely going to replace all 6 tubes and connector plugs. Coils look fine.

Does anyone know where I can find step by step instructions to replace the tubes and the connector plugs?

And do I need to remove the spark plugs to do the above? Thanks.