Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Smile Xenon Headlight Not Moving, Set Too Low

I have a 2004 Boxster S.

My car just failed an inspection due to the beam on one side being set too low. Upon examination, I notice the left headlight is not moving on start-up. The right-side headlight moves, adjusts to correct level and appears to be working fine.

I can hear the servo motor whirring on the left side, it's just that the light doesn't move. It appears to be jammed in a low position.

Any ideas?

If this is expensive to correct, is it possible to disable the movement function and leave the headlight set manually? I live in a country where auto-adjust headlights aren't mandatory.

I'm not very technical, so if I need to take it to a dealer, I don't want him selling me the most expensive solution. So any information you can arm me with would be greatly appreciated.

blackgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Garage
Looking through the front of the lamp cover, is there a little bit of clearence the entire way around the lamp holder say abot 1/4". The lamp reflector itself is mounted on 2 white ball and sockets and one fix swivel. If the lamp is close or against the outer shell of the light one of the ball and sockets is unsnapped or loose. Remove the light fixture with the special tool in the tool kit that should be with the car. Then remove the transformer cover on the end of the lamp and snap the socket back onto the ball. If it the one on the motor it's a little more complicated, and you may have to remove the lamp and the ignitor coil to reach it. Do not handle the lamp if you have to remove it. Use a clean cotton cloth. If you touch the lamp clean it with alcohol prep pad and dry with a clean cotton cloth. Oil film on the quartz bulb can reduce it life.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

Thanks jsceash

There is a gap. From what I can see, the gaps look identical on both sides, and do go all the way around, although it's a little difficult to see the top gap clearly on either side.
blackgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #4

Maybe you can move the manual adjusters enough to pass the test. It still won't be working right for the self leveling but it would get you out of the legal jam and give you time to fix it at your own pace.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote