Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

IPD plenum on a 3.2

Those of you with a 3.2 with a IPD plenum...how do you like it? As far as recall there seems ti be nice gains to be had on larger displacement engines but I haven't heard of anything definitive with 3.2s and down.

Just some thoughts: The Porsche t-shape conduit would allow intake flow pulses from side to side (or cyl. bank to bank). The IPD being a y looks like it would impede this flow. I am not sure that this is desirable. Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Check this

Is there such thing as a performance intake manifold?
Specifically the posts by Cartel. He has done this to a 3.2 and is very happy with the mod.

Or this.....

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/49945-installed-ipd-intake-plenum-986-boxster-pics-review.html

This one was on a 2.7, but would still be relevant since you are wondering about the effectiveness on smaller capacity engines (ie sub 3.4).

Last edited by blackadder; 09-18-2011 at 09:36 PM.
blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Carnut

Does anybody know if the larger 75mm throttle body fits the plastic OEM "Y" piece? In other words, can we change from the smaller TB to the larger TB?

TIA!
Andy
Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Garage
I have the IPD plenum and a Bosch 74MM Tbody on a 2.7. It improve throttle pick up. The ducting is nice and come with the plenum. Everything bolts or clamped up easily. The stock throtle body will not bolt to the IPD the 74mm Tbody will not bolt to the stock plenum you have to do both. I did this last of the four external HP mods and saw a small power improvement. I'm not sure if this help your decission or not. The big thing I noticed is that I hit the rev-limiter with out really trying now, and have to pay more attention to the tach.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 09-22-2011 at 05:50 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I have the IPD plenum and a Bosch 74MM Tbody on a 2.7. It improve throttle pick up. The ducting is nice and come with the plenum. Everything bolts or clamped up easily. The stock throtle body will not bolt to the IPD the 74mm Tbody will not bolt to the stock plenum you have to do both. I did this last of the four external HP mods and saw a small power improvement. I'm not sure if this help your decission or not. The big thing I noticed is that I hit the rev-limiter with out really trying now, and have to pay more attention to the tach.
Thank you!

I know a lot of people wanted to know incl. myself....
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Smile

As per my original statements, this has bar none been one of my utmost favorite performance modifications thus far. Mind you it has been one of my last as well. Therefore, your experience could vary granted the number of modifications you have installed. Meaning my outcome could very well have worked out as well as it has due to the list of extensive modifications I have already completed. Despite the controversy that has consistently ensued around the IPD Intake Plenum. I could not be any happier. I strongly encourage you to follow suit.

Other noteworthy modifications were FVD Brombacher ECU tune, AASCO lightweight flywheel, and my KW Variant 3 Coilover suspension

Boom boom.

/e The IPD Intake Plenum/997 75mm TB was purchased via none other than Road Sport Supply (RSS)/Stuttgart Performance. As always, Bryan is an absolute delight to deal with. On the technical side of it, they were very accommodating and answered my every such question. If my memory serves me correct, I was offered a money back guarantee on the IPD intake plenum. 100% money back, no questions asked. That in itself sold me on the item(s). Ultimately, I have worked closely with Bryan and the kind folks at RSS/SP extensively on other such modifications and they have always satisfied my every need and more. They have a proven track record with me and for that I will forever be loyal to them.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by Cartel; 09-24-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

My 2001 2.7l Box is also on the IPD Plenum with the 74mm TB. And I love it too. The throttle response is much quicker. It would also be believeable (from seat of the pants feel) that it produces more hp, but I've never dynoed the car.

An interesting side effect of installing the IPD Plenum is that the intake roar is very much enhanced.... Granted, I also installed a BMC drop in filter at the same time as the IPD Plenum install, but the roar of the intake is very very much enhanced. Partly due to the deletion of the resonance box (replaced with the IPD silicon piping), the BMC filter and larger TB (??). And I still have my snorkel in place !! Wonder how it'll sound without the snorkel !

In fact as I still have the stock exhaust system, the main "entertainment" when I'm pushing the car is from the intake roar (not the washing machine sounding exhaust - haha).

Last edited by shlim8; 09-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote