Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Newbie question. Horn beeps when locking

Recently bought a 2001 boxster tip and I can't get the horn to stop beeping when I lock it. It only beeps once which according to the handbook means something isn't closed properly. I've checked everything and it all seems to be closed fine. Only other thing I can think of after searching the net is a different radio has been fitted... Would that affect it? Any suggestions as to how to get it to stop would be much appreciated

Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Since you mentioned the radio, have you tried removing the face and then trying to lock the car?

I wonder if one of the door/trunk switches is worn out and not signaling that it is indeed closed...?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

Nice thought overdrive... But no joy, removed the face and still the same. Might be a sensor. Would a OBD2 tell me that do you know?
Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #4

Garage
You mentioned there is an aftermarket radio, from what I have read there is a switch or "contact point" that the factory radio would come into contact with in the mounting bezel of the car . If your factory radio has been removed, I would believe that the switch has been disengaged which will give you a "beep" when you lock the car. If you can, pull out your existing radio and you should see the contact point and wire and the bottom of the bezel.

Best of Luck
2003 model taillights
bobdogwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

One other place to check is the oddments tray (console tray cover). If it isn't fully closed, it will give off the beep just like the passenger door or one of the trunks.

Happy Hunting
nylart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

My first post...

I've had my porsche now for two months. Last month I replaced my head unit with something that can play an ipod - an aftermarket JVC. Ever since then, my car gives a little beep too when you lock it. Never did before. Even the old owner (a close friend) said "how did you get the alarm to beep like that?"
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #7

some micro switch is not working.
both trunks, doors, and glove box thing

if it is the doors, then the lights will stay on inside when the door is shut. If it is the trunks then the dash board indicator will be on. So i am guessing it is the glove box.
Take the lock apart and you will see the wires. manually connect the wires to see if that stops it.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylart View Post
One other place to check is the oddments tray (console tray cover). If it isn't fully closed, it will give off the beep just like the passenger door or one of the trunks.

Happy Hunting
Thank you! I had the same problem, and opening/reclosing doors and trunks was beginning to get somewhat boring
learningtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

Yep, with mine it was the rear console box lid. Looked closed but wasn't completely latched. Now that's the first place I look when the horn beeps. Second place is the gas filler door.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #10

Mines has done it i changed out the stereo. I like the beep. It lets me and everybody else know the car is locked and the alarm is on
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #11

Mine beeps twice but only when unlocking and the door lock button stays red. Does this mean it's one of my door micro switches?
juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
Mines has done it i changed out the stereo. I like the beep. It lets me and everybody else know the car is locked and the alarm is on
I thought that if the horn beeps, it means the alarm is not fully activated??? I have the same issue and cannot find out why. Doors appear to be closing because the door lights turn off when closed. Don't have a glove compartment so that's one less thing to worry about.

I had it checked by a mate with a Durametric and he suggested that it's the sensor on the trunk. However, the dash warning light does not go off. Could that still be the culprit?

I do have an aftermarket radio/head unit which has decided to not function recently. It just wouldn't turn on! Could that be related to the alarm???
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylart View Post

Happy Hunting
This post has saved me considerable time and effort. Good man.
Michiganstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

One beep means something isn't closed as others have suggested. IIRC correctly, one needs to tape over a wire if one fits an aftermarket radio. A search of the forums should provide more detail.

Two beeps means something has failed in the central locking system. Often one of the door lock micro-switches is the cause. But it could be many other things. For this situation, it's best to read the fault codes, clear them and then activate the various parts of the central locking system one by one. You might need a dealer or an independent to run the tests for you.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicepro View Post
Mine beeps twice but only when unlocking and the door lock button stays red. Does this mean it's one of my door micro switches?
Hi, i have tha same issue, can't find the problem. I have changed the microswitch and the door lock, no changes. PM me if you found the problem .......

Thanks
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Have the alarm codes read, they will tell you what is causing the issue.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #17

I'm curious if this issue ever got solved, as I have the exact same symptoms and its driving me nuts trying to get to the bottom of it. Here are the symptoms: alarm chirps twice randomly and the door locks cycle, both while driving (embarrassing) AND while the car is at rest with the key out! The red indicator light on the dash door lock switch comes on and goes away intermittently. Occasionally the car alarm chirps twice when I unlock the car using the key remote.

I had the codes read, here they are: #10 Voltage Failure at #30 w/Alarm Active; #61 Central Lock Unit Position Not Reached Position Implausible; and #47 Central Locking Syncronization Unlocking Not Possible.

Is there something in these codes that will tell me what switch or lock mechanism is at fault? I don't want to start replacing things haphazardly. I don't know why, but I'm suspicious of the passenger side door lock mechanism, but my understanding is it could be many other things.

Any help would be most welcome!
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Awesome thread here… Who knew that the center walking console compartment also known as the oddiments box would make the horn beep if not fully closed when locking. Thanks!
terrapingrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapingrad88 View Post
Awesome thread here… Who knew that the center walking console compartment also known as the oddiments box would make the horn beep if not fully closed when locking. Thanks!
I did for once, from experience. Noticed car beeping when i locked it after i forst purchased the car, knew it meant something wasnt closed well. Only thing unlocked was the center console.

The random alarm issue can occurr with aftermarket stero installed if the ground from the chasis is not removed and taped up. On CAI website tutorial has big note.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:34 PM   #20

Garage
Hey there!
Would you be speaking of the brown single wire that was connected to the metal radio enclosure? I replaced the radio with a double DIN setup and assumed that wire was a ground wire and stripped it and found a screw and grounded it there. Should I have just taped it instead? My horn is now beeping once when it didn't used to.

Last edited by sailer22; 02-24-2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: clarification
sailer22 is offline   Reply With Quote