Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #1

Eliminated the mufflers on the boxster S

Hey guys, I recently purchased my first red porsche boxster S 3 days ago. My first porsche i've owned...but not first to owning a german vehicle. Previously owned a cl55 amg, but sold it because it wasn't agile enough for me.

At first I was going to do the pedro exhaust but the exhaust shop told me it was going to be too much work. They lifted up the car and upon that I realized the boxster already had an aftermarket exhaust. The sound was not doing the beautiful porsche any justice so I decided to eliminate the mufflers. They did a beautiful job with really nice clean bends. The owner was even nice enough to throw in 2 shiny chrome tips.

During the wait me and my brother decided to walk to get some food, I was a bit nervous at first because I was afraid it was going to be too obnoxiously loud... As I was walking back I watched a youtube video of a boxster...I was praying it was not going to sound like that. Once I got there they were putting back on my tires because I was changing the brakes as well...Lowered it...I was allowed to start it...and behold the most beautiful, clean, and high reving engine i've ever heard. It sounded like the gt3 N/A motors. Very quiet during the normal Idles but when I step on it especially coming out of a tunnel it sounds like an F1 ferrari. I kid you not, i'm extremely happy with results. Does not have the droning and annoying sound but a very pitchy REV!!!! Now in the process of getting a gt2 front bumper, Techart sides, and diffuser from precision porsche...Anyone buy from them before?

usna_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
So how about a sound clip from your new Boxster? Would love to hear it.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #3

Agreed, a boxster with no muffler is really sweet sounding and not nearly as harsh as one might expect. Gurgles at idle and has that really nice flat 6 roar when you get on it.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #4

I am puzzled. Are you saying that you are running straight pipes, no mufflers, no cats?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #5

I agree; I think that's what he's saying (straight pipes). I had a friend that was building a spec Boxster 2.5 and left the exhaust straight...the car was extremely loud at the track...can't imagine it on the street. He eventually fitted a muffler, since it was causing db issues wherever he took it.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
JTP

This guy is in San Jose, CA. Don't you get shot there for running no cats and no muffler?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #7

If it is SP, then, no he cannot get the car past emissions. Clearly, that would be a no-no in CA.

I smell potential BS here.

Perhaps.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #8

I am running completely catless with stuff in my sig below, but have oem PSE muffler with butterfly valves in the open position.

Car sounds amazing and when you hammer the throttle and get it in the 5000+rpm range!

A friend of mine heard me coming down the hill towards my neighborhood the other day and made the comment to me that it sounded like a race car... He owns an '89 911 coupe and is a porscheophile to the hilt.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #9

I only took off the mufflers, as for the sound I will get on that asap, weather here in CA is not as sunny and beautiful as it use to be!
usna_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #10

Would love to hear what this sounds like.. Maybe I'll have them take the mufflers out of my Borla.
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Pat

It sounds like an F1 Ferrari, huh?
Glad you're happy with it, though.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Crazy Austrian

Garage
I almost forgot, when I ran with Chin Motorsport in August, a friend of mine showed up with his 03 Boxster S with straight pipes. Is it loud? Well, yah!! if you want I have a utube vid following him for the warm up and first lap. I could only hear his exhaust, I have headers and no cats with a loud borla on mine, but his exhaust definately occupied my ears. lol Here is the link if you want to hear straight pipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSaz17vWKTk
Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #13

What?

can someone please explain how this modificaition works? How much would it cost?
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVstarBoxster
can someone please explain how this modificaition works? How much would it cost?
you can make it as cheap as you want or if you have the money buy the "brand" name products available, the cheap way - get on Ebay and purchase a set of headers for you car around 110 with shipping, go to your local muffler shop and have them duplicate your mid pipes (without the cats) and then fabricate the pipes to replace muffler to come out at the same location. I have a local shope bend up pipes, without the end plate for 50 so if you want them to weld those on they might charge you around a 100 and maybe another 100 for the muffler replacement. check with your local shops. the key is chop around.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
I almost forgot, when I ran with Chin Motorsport in August, a friend of mine showed up with his 03 Boxster S with straight pipes. Is it loud? Well, yah!! if you want I have a utube vid following him for the warm up and first lap. I could only hear his exhaust, I have headers and no cats with a loud borla on mine, but his exhaust definately occupied my ears. lol Here is the link if you want to hear straight pipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSaz17vWKTk
Dude, you weren't kidding! Sounds great, but wow, drowns your car out big time.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #16

Great video Harry. I'm envious - the closest I'll ever get to driving Sebring is Forza 3
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
JTP

I don't think the OP has straight pipes all the way like the guy in that video, he says he kept the cats, just eliminated the muffler. I'm sure it's still very loud, but if he has all four cats they will reduce the sound somewhat.
Usna, any progress on that sound clip?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #18

muffler delete

I did this mod last week and I thought I would give the results. I had the local muffler shop remove my stock muffler and make the new pipes. He used 2.25 dia. pipe. My cost was 160.00 total. I left the shop and it was a bit loud. Also there was an irritating drone from about 2K to 3.5K. I was expecting this but had never experienced it. I ordered some baffles from the net and installed them. They were cheap, about 15.00 shipped, they bolt in. They were 2" x 8" and worked nicely. I had to get the muffler shop to weld a spacer on the end for a nice tight fit, $5.00. The baffles seemed to eliminate some of the drone. I also ordered some heat proof fiberglass wrap from the net, 15.00 shipped, but did not like the result. I am presently using just the plain baffle, no wrap. I had it out last night and it is coming along. I might try using a small amount of wrap just to see about the results. I do think the baffles will allow me to get it inspected for the street. My main reason for the mod was to loose the weight more than make it louder. I haven't weighed the muffler yet but I would think I lost about 30 lbs. I might get chrome tips, they are on the net for $25.00, but I haven't finished tinkering with the setup yet. Total cost about $200.00. If anyone wants any pics I will try to accomodate, just send me your email address. Bill, Pgh, Pa. 99 Box.
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #19

Forget pics, post a video!
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #20

Garage
:dance: :chicken:

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote