Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #21

Garage
Its astonishing to see how some members take a "bubblegum and chicken wire" approach
to modifying (or should I say destroying) their exhaust . In view of the fact that Porsche spent considerable time designing their system, by the same token it requires a methodical approach to changing or modifying it . The irony in most of these cases is, that not only has power probably been lost, but engine reliability has likely been compromised as well.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #22

With all due respect I think you missed the point of my post. I was trying to lose as much weight as possible and I think that was accomplished. Since the first post I weighed in the exhaust components and they weighed 38 lbs. The new piping can't be anymore than 5/6 lbs. I will gladly take the 32 lb difference and see how the car performs. My goal for this season is to drop 150 lbs. for track purposes and I think I will be there. Muffler delete, spare tire removal, seat switch, battery switch, coilover install, sway bar switch and engine cover pad and carpet (14 lbs) should do it. As far as your "chicken wire comment" I guess I should have spent $2000 on a custom exhaust in order to get a heavier system with questionable performance. We all have different goals with our cars, my research has pointed me towards lightening the car as much as possible and that is the path I have chosen. It would be easy to follow with a few more comments, but I will take the high road with the hopes of meeting up with you at a track somewhere and getting an opprotunity to see whose car performs better. Bill, Pgh, Pa.
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtee
With all due respect I think you missed the point of my post. I was trying to lose as much weight as possible and I think that was accomplished. Since the first post I weighed in the exhaust components and they weighed 38 lbs. The new piping can't be anymore than 5/6 lbs. I will gladly take the 32 lb difference and see how the car performs. My goal for this season is to drop 150 lbs. for track purposes and I think I will be there. Muffler delete, spare tire removal, seat switch, battery switch, coilover install, sway bar switch and engine cover pad and carpet (14 lbs) should do it. As far as your "chicken wire comment" I guess I should have spent $2000 on a custom exhaust in order to get a heavier system with questionable performance. We all have different goals with our cars, my research has pointed me towards lightening the car as much as possible and that is the path I have chosen. It would be easy to follow with a few more comments, but I will take the high road with the hopes of meeting up with you at a track somewhere and getting an opprotunity to see whose car performs better. Bill, Pgh, Pa.
With all due respect right back at you, please go back and re-read your post . At no time did you explain that the premise of your "modification" was to reduce weight purely for the purpose of tracking your vehicle. Rather, it reads like someone who has set out aimlessly to adulterate their vehicle with no real goal or objective in mind . As far as meeting up at the track and comparing vehicles is concerned, I suggest that you bring plenty of bubblegum for yourself ! Good luck with your project.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #24

No need to get testy here.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #25

After noticing where you are from I guess I should have cut you some slack, obviously you a physically ill over realizing that your beloved Patriots will have to
beat the Steelers next week in order to make the big show. Good luck with that. Bill, Pgh. Pa.
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #26

The Cardinal rule here at the forum is that we do NOT allow any negative posts about the Patriots.

I am sorry but as owner and moderator. that is grounds for termination.

A word to the wise ....

Yes, I do get to make the rules!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #27
JTP

It has been observed by many experts that the stock exhaust system yields the best performance overall. Very few people have considered shedding weight by the driver going on a diet.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtee
After noticing where you are from I guess I should have cut you some slack, obviously you a physically ill over realizing that your beloved Patriots will have to
beat the Steelers next week in order to make the big show. Good luck with that. Bill, Pgh. Pa.

Actually, growing up I was a big Steelers fan. Especially, the 1970-71 team ( Bradshaw, Harris, Greene, Stallworth, Ham, Blount, Swan ect...). However, nowadays my favorite spectator sport is Lingerie Football.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Actually, growing up I was a big Steelers fan. Especially, the 1970-71 team ( Bradshaw, Harris, Greene, Stallworth, Ham, Blount, Swan ect...). However, nowadays my favorite spectator sport is Lingerie Football.
I'm with you on that one. lol ( the last part )(as if that need explaining)