View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #18
wmtee

muffler delete

I did this mod last week and I thought I would give the results. I had the local muffler shop remove my stock muffler and make the new pipes. He used 2.25 dia. pipe. My cost was 160.00 total. I left the shop and it was a bit loud. Also there was an irritating drone from about 2K to 3.5K. I was expecting this but had never experienced it. I ordered some baffles from the net and installed them. They were cheap, about 15.00 shipped, they bolt in. They were 2" x 8" and worked nicely. I had to get the muffler shop to weld a spacer on the end for a nice tight fit, $5.00. The baffles seemed to eliminate some of the drone. I also ordered some heat proof fiberglass wrap from the net, 15.00 shipped, but did not like the result. I am presently using just the plain baffle, no wrap. I had it out last night and it is coming along. I might try using a small amount of wrap just to see about the results. I do think the baffles will allow me to get it inspected for the street. My main reason for the mod was to loose the weight more than make it louder. I haven't weighed the muffler yet but I would think I lost about 30 lbs. I might get chrome tips, they are on the net for $25.00, but I haven't finished tinkering with the setup yet. Total cost about $200.00. If anyone wants any pics I will try to accomodate, just send me your email address. Bill, Pgh, Pa. 99 Box.
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote