Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #21
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
I don't think we are going to get a reply from the OP - every month these questions come up again and again with no response to our input.
I think we are waisting out time & I will ignore them in future.... :troll:
The OP says he's a golfer, that might explain it.

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #22

Garage
You won't get much HP increase with exhaust and IPD/TB total cost estimated $2,000+ maybe 20 - 25 HP
Old 02-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #23

Holy resurrection, Batman!
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
You won't get much HP increase with exhaust and IPD/TB total cost estimated $2,000+ maybe 20 - 25 HP

There is no replacement for Displacement!

Thanks for searching!
Old 02-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #25
1998 Boxster Owner

Get a newer Boxster
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #26

I've heard that porsche valve stem covers will add 5hp straight bolt on!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 06:03 PM   #27

So not even a different cam grind would help the
power ?
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
There is no replacement for Displacement!

Thanks for searching!
Cubic dollars can sometimes replace more displacement! Of course cubic dollars plus more displacement is always the best!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #29

So That's a No on running different cams..?
Old 02-11-2021, 06:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
So That's a No on running different cams..?
Wait, are you being serious?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #31
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Wait, are you being serious?

Yeah, what he said!

I imagine a custom cam grind, some porting (particularly on the exhaust side) larger valves, bigger injectors, more air, hotter spark, higher rev-limit (from balancing and gusseting) would net you some hp.

Is that what you're thinking? Lots of $$ ?

MUCH easier (and cheaper) to dump a 3.4 from a 996 on it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #32

I was perusing the FVD site they have a set of cams with a different grind for a mere $2200 ish dollars.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #33

Well ..Yes ,.If I knew the answer I would not have had to ask..
Old 02-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Well ..Yes ,.If I knew the answer I would not have had to ask..
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, I honestly thought you were joking. There isn't much of a trend to do such projects with these motors. You're not gonna find a stroker kit for the m96, and there are not any shops that I'm aware of that specialize in custom modifications like that for these motors. Most aftermarket modifications you will find detailed on this site fall into 2 groups - small projects that will sometimes require custom tunes (UDP, new intake, new exhaust) and big ones (upgrade to 3.4 from 996, complete motor overhaul from flat F6I or LN including bore out and sleeving). Most DIY projects are about optimizing the current setup for durability and handling (oil coolers, 3rd radiator, aftermarket suspension) There are a few guys who have done FI applications, but there is only 1 kit that I'm aware of still in production and I personally think it's shady at best. Otherwise you'll have to custom a setup, which is difficult because of the specifics of the stock setup and is probably done best with a complete overhaul of the motors internals. A good example of that is bisimotors.

I guess the bottom line is that the H6 m96/97 family is not really a motor that many tinker with. It is what it is. It may seem like a puny power plant, but I think that most everyone will agree that it is well matched to the car overall and if you learn how to drive it properly (keeping it in max powerband, heel toe shifting, proper cornering techniques) you can definitely make a passenger **************** their pants on demand. It won't beat a v8 off the line but you'll have fun passing them on the turns.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #35
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, I honestly thought you were joking. There isn't much of a trend to do such projects with these motors. You're not gonna find a stroker kit for the m96, and there are not any shops that I'm aware of that specialize in custom modifications like that for these motors. Most aftermarket modifications you will find detailed on this site fall into 2 groups - small projects that will sometimes require custom tunes (UDP, new intake, new exhaust) and big ones (upgrade to 3.4 from 996, complete motor overhaul from flat F6I or LN including bore out and sleeving). Most DIY projects are about optimizing the current setup for durability and handling (oil coolers, 3rd radiator, aftermarket suspension) There are a few guys who have done FI applications, but there is only 1 kit that I'm aware of still in production and I personally think it's shady at best. Otherwise you'll have to custom a setup, which is difficult because of the specifics of the stock setup and is probably done best with a complete overhaul of the motors internals. A good example of that is bisimotors.

I guess the bottom line is that the H6 m96/97 family is not really a motor that many tinker with. It is what it is. It may seem like a puny power plant, but I think that most everyone will agree that it is well matched to the car overall and if you learn how to drive it properly (keeping it in max powerband, heel toe shifting, proper cornering techniques) you can definitely make a passenger **************** their pants on demand. It won't beat a v8 off the line but you'll have fun passing them on the turns.

Yup;
ditto all of this.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #36

Oh its ok..I had a 82 3.0 that you could do a 964 Cam grind that was popular. So I thought maybe it would be helpful here..But, I should know if it was beneficial it would have already been discussed many times over !! LOL..Thanks for the info , Frank
Old 02-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
So not even a different cam grind would help the
power ?
Not until you get past 3,000 Rpm, and you will be much slower to 3,000!
Old 02-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Cubic dollars can sometimes replace more displacement! Of course cubic dollars plus more displacement is always the best!
Yeah I just realized this thread was started a couple month's after I got home from Jake Raby's 1st M96 engine rebuild class where I learned the best way to add displacement resulting in greater torque throughout the rev range!_HDR1613347734.jpg[/img]