Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #21
JTP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
I don't think we are going to get a reply from the OP - every month these questions come up again and again with no response to our input.
I think we are waisting out time & I will ignore them in future....
The OP says he's a golfer, that might explain it.

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 859
Garage
You won't get much HP increase with exhaust and IPD/TB total cost estimated $2,000+ maybe 20 - 25 HP
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:56 AM   #23
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,529
Holy resurrection, Batman!
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #24
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,649
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
You won't get much HP increase with exhaust and IPD/TB total cost estimated $2,000+ maybe 20 - 25 HP


There is no replacement for Displacement!


Thanks for searching!
__________________
OE engine rebuilt,3.6 litre LN Engineering billet sleeves,triple row IMSB,LN rods. Deep sump oil pan with DT40 oil.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #25
1998 Boxster Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Alviso, CA
Posts: 163
Get a newer Boxster
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 183
I've heard that porsche valve stem covers will add 5hp straight bolt on!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tucson,az
Posts: 464
So not even a different cam grind would help the
power ?
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
There is no replacement for Displacement!


Thanks for searching!
Cubic dollars can sometimes replace more displacement! Of course cubic dollars plus more displacement is always the best!
__________________
2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport insert & transmission mounts, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tucson,az
Posts: 464
So That's a No on running different cams..?
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
So That's a No on running different cams..?
Wait, are you being serious?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #31
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Wait, are you being serious?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, what he said!

I imagine a custom cam grind, some porting (particularly on the exhaust side) larger valves, bigger injectors, more air, hotter spark, higher rev-limit (from balancing and gusseting) would net you some hp.

Is that what you're thinking? Lots of $$ ?

MUCH easier (and cheaper) to dump a 3.4 from a 996 on it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #32
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 953
I was perusing the FVD site they have a set of cams with a different grind for a mere $2200 ish dollars.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tucson,az
Posts: 464
Well ..Yes ,.If I knew the answer I would not have had to ask..
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Well ..Yes ,.If I knew the answer I would not have had to ask..
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, I honestly thought you were joking. There isn't much of a trend to do such projects with these motors. You're not gonna find a stroker kit for the m96, and there are not any shops that I'm aware of that specialize in custom modifications like that for these motors. Most aftermarket modifications you will find detailed on this site fall into 2 groups - small projects that will sometimes require custom tunes (UDP, new intake, new exhaust) and big ones (upgrade to 3.4 from 996, complete motor overhaul from flat F6I or LN including bore out and sleeving). Most DIY projects are about optimizing the current setup for durability and handling (oil coolers, 3rd radiator, aftermarket suspension) There are a few guys who have done FI applications, but there is only 1 kit that I'm aware of still in production and I personally think it's shady at best. Otherwise you'll have to custom a setup, which is difficult because of the specifics of the stock setup and is probably done best with a complete overhaul of the motors internals. A good example of that is bisimotors.

I guess the bottom line is that the H6 m96/97 family is not really a motor that many tinker with. It is what it is. It may seem like a puny power plant, but I think that most everyone will agree that it is well matched to the car overall and if you learn how to drive it properly (keeping it in max powerband, heel toe shifting, proper cornering techniques) you can definitely make a passenger **************** their pants on demand. It won't beat a v8 off the line but you'll have fun passing them on the turns.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #35
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, I honestly thought you were joking. There isn't much of a trend to do such projects with these motors. You're not gonna find a stroker kit for the m96, and there are not any shops that I'm aware of that specialize in custom modifications like that for these motors. Most aftermarket modifications you will find detailed on this site fall into 2 groups - small projects that will sometimes require custom tunes (UDP, new intake, new exhaust) and big ones (upgrade to 3.4 from 996, complete motor overhaul from flat F6I or LN including bore out and sleeving). Most DIY projects are about optimizing the current setup for durability and handling (oil coolers, 3rd radiator, aftermarket suspension) There are a few guys who have done FI applications, but there is only 1 kit that I'm aware of still in production and I personally think it's shady at best. Otherwise you'll have to custom a setup, which is difficult because of the specifics of the stock setup and is probably done best with a complete overhaul of the motors internals. A good example of that is bisimotors.

I guess the bottom line is that the H6 m96/97 family is not really a motor that many tinker with. It is what it is. It may seem like a puny power plant, but I think that most everyone will agree that it is well matched to the car overall and if you learn how to drive it properly (keeping it in max powerband, heel toe shifting, proper cornering techniques) you can definitely make a passenger **************** their pants on demand. It won't beat a v8 off the line but you'll have fun passing them on the turns.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Yup;
ditto all of this.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tucson,az
Posts: 464
Oh its ok..I had a 82 3.0 that you could do a 964 Cam grind that was popular. So I thought maybe it would be helpful here..But, I should know if it was beneficial it would have already been discussed many times over !! LOL..Thanks for the info , Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #37
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,649
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
So not even a different cam grind would help the
power ?
Not until you get past 3,000 Rpm, and you will be much slower to 3,000!
__________________
OE engine rebuilt,3.6 litre LN Engineering billet sleeves,triple row IMSB,LN rods. Deep sump oil pan with DT40 oil.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #38
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,649
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Cubic dollars can sometimes replace more displacement! Of course cubic dollars plus more displacement is always the best!
Yeah I just realized this thread was started a couple month's after I got home from Jake Raby's 1st M96 engine rebuild class where I learned the best way to add displacement resulting in greater torque throughout the rev range!_HDR1613347734.jpg[/img]

__________________
OE engine rebuilt,3.6 litre LN Engineering billet sleeves,triple row IMSB,LN rods. Deep sump oil pan with DT40 oil.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page