Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Boxster convertible top issues

I know this has been posted before but I'm new to the site and I am having issues with the top. Most times it will not work but on a rare occasion it does. I'm scared to drop the top because I got caught with it down and it would not come back up.
I've read other responses but here is my issue: Windows drop with parking brake up and latch released. Top sometimes works but mostly it does not. I've check all the fuses listed in the manuel with no luck. I do notice my brake light flickers when hitting the brakes then goes off not staying on. Brake light seems to work only when in a certain spot depressing the pedal. I've tried holding the brake down with the brake light on but that doesn't maek the top work.
It is worth it to purchase a rely off eBay and try that or might there be another secrect someone could share.
Thanks
hinsb@msn.com

73Lifeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Top - does the parking brake light illuminate on the dash when the parking brake is engaged? If not, it could be the micro-switch.
Brake Lights - could be a dirty brake light switch.
or both issues cold possibly be due to a faulty ignition switch.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #3

I would replace the micro switch at the latch first...usually it is the culprit.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Top - does the parking brake light illuminate on the dash when the parking brake is engaged? If not, it could be the micro-switch.
Brake Lights - could be a dirty brake light switch.
or both issues cold possibly be due to a faulty ignition switch.
The parking brake light on the dash does not come on with the parking brake engaged. I'll tear that console out to check the switch.

TKS
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Lifeliner
The parking brake light on the dash does not come on with the parking brake engaged. I'll tear that console out to check the switch.

TKS
If your parking brake light is not illuminated (by pulling up on the parking brake), the electric motor will not receive power and your top will not operate.

The microswitch under the rear of the parking brake handle can usually be "revived" without removing the entire console. You can usually get it to work reliably again by blasting the microswitch with compressed air and/or electrical contact cleaner through the little opening you will get when you just remove that little side panel on the driver's side rear of the console.

After you have blasted it, test the parking brake a few times to see if the light now goes on reliably.

If it does not, you will have to remove the console for a more thorough cleaning and/ or replacement.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here's your fix... I just recently had to do this as well. It's a $5 replacement part, but it is a bit of a pain to remove/replace due to the location of the sucker. You can try first just removing the ashtray and plate under it to spray some compressed air on the plunger in that Microswitch first to see if that fixes it.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/parking_brake_switch/

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #7

Thanks all, I hope to tackle this this weekend and will let you know. Much appreciated. :dance:
Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #8

I found it...

Well guys I finally traced it down as to what is the issue. It is the parking brake switch. I removed the access panel by the driver's seat, detached the wire from the switch, put in a jump wire and the top works perfectly.

Now that I know exactly what the issue is, next is getting up enough nerve to replace the switch. Appreciate the information and guidence and now on a mission to locate where I can buy the switch.

Richard
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #9

Where does one locate this swtich that I can purchase? Local Advance Auto just roll their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Here's your fix... I just recently had to do this as well. It's a $5 replacement part, but it is a bit of a pain to remove/replace due to the location of the sucker. You can try first just removing the ashtray and plate under it to spray some compressed air on the plunger in that Microswitch first to see if that fixes it.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/parking_brake_switch/
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #10

I found the switch on Pelican Parts for $7.00. Wish me luck!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #11

Problem solved

The problem has been solved. I replaced the switch and followed the plans and it was easy. Took about 40 minutes so now we can enjoy the top being down again. Next step is to have th top replaced.

Thanks for everyone's inout.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #12

Garage
Great thread , saved me time and money ( infact when I pulled the ashtray
assemby out I found $8 in coins from the PO )

I sprayed the parking brake switch with MAF cleaner - light comes on and
top works again.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Cubby

Garage
Thumbs up Windows dropping

Hi guys,

I am a new Boxster owner and been having problem with my windows dropping when going over a bump. This thread has been supperb and explains exactly what is going on.
Thanks chaps

Craig
cubbyno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbyno9 View Post
Hi guys,

I am a new Boxster owner and been having problem with my windows dropping when going over a bump. This thread has been supperb and explains exactly what is going on.
Thanks chaps

Craig
Hello Craig,
I think this thread describes top not moving up or down by pressing the button on the dash.
The window does drop when the latch is opened.
Your problem (different thread) is with the latch mechanism and the micro switch located above the rear view mirror and not the micro switch by the brake lever.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #15

Button (really) broken now.

Just to give my experience...

A while back my top worked intermittently. I was thinking about just waiting till I could get it down, then try to get the speedster kit. After getting angry and pushing it really hard it worked! So I just had to press harder (but sometimes not all the time). Well today it was being stubborn and I pushed it (really) too hard. Now my button is in the dash :-( And now I have to take off the dash and figure out what I broke and how to fix it.
rock88hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #16

Button (really) broken now.

Just to give my experience...

A while back my top worked intermittently. I was thinking about just waiting till I could get it down, then try to get the speedster kit. After getting angry and pushing it really hard it worked! So I just had to press harder (but sometimes not all the time). Well today it was being stubborn and I pushed it (really) too hard. Now my button is in the dash :-( And now I have to take off the dash and figure out what I broke and how to fix it.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
1999 base

Garage
here you go sir:
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 996-613-112-01-M100
just make sure it fits your year model.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #18

Thank You Meir! Now I just need your prayers for patience while I attempt to take apart the dash without snapping, smashing, and breaking everything. Wish there was a youtube for it. Hope to find out soon if I don't scrap the top altogether.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #19

Just an update, I was able to get apart of the dash off (just the part i needed off!) I don't know if me taking out the stereo had anything to do with it, but I just pulled from the lower right corner and it came right out!

Now I have to find and check the fuse for this button. Then check the other 2 switches :-/ I might just try to get the entire top down first and just get a speedster humps.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #20

I had the problem with the switch. took it out cleaned it up & was able to reuse switch and am now back in business! the link was a big help

Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote