Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
04 Boxste S Dyno Test Results

A number of you have asked me for hard numbers on my Boxster S and I guessed around 295 FH , but that was only a guesstimate, Turns out I was not far off. Check out this video of the dyno run. The run was made on a Dynojet which is not known for high number but I believe more realistic numbers. I may have lost about 2-3% due to the high temp and humidity we had today and some even believe those wide wheels Iím running are sucking down some hp but thatís OK - I'm happy with these numbers since I did all the work myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslHfZVouLU
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Does anyone else have any dyno results? I would like to see them
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Jaxonalden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,209
Garage
What all have you done to your car to get 290hp at the fly wheel?
__________________
Sadly on the outside looking in.
"Drive it like the Doctor ordered"
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
What all have you done to your car to get 290hp at the fly wheel?
Not that much, Cold air intake (manufactured myself), headers, mid pipe-no cats(made myself)Borla Muffler(slightly mod) DME by Softronics, Technolabs planum and the rest was just to keep it together with oil issues (AOS,deepsump,cooler thermostat,etc) and cosmetics a good solid gain of about 35 HP at the rear wheels.
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
Does anyone else have any dyno results? I would like to see them
See sig below.
__________________
2002 Boxster S, 6 speed, Speed Yellow
RoW M030 Suspension, B&M Short Shift Kit, Fabspeed Bypass Pipes, FVD Brombacher ECU, IMS Bearing Retrofit, UD Pulley, Low Temp T-Stat, Brey-Krause Rollbar Extension.
231 RWHP, 207 RWTQ.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 290
So a stock 01 S would put out around 200-10?
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Wingnut2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow
So a stock 01 S would put out around 200-10?
That is correct, the last time I dyno'd my 01 S I got 212 hp
__________________
2001 Boxster S
RUF front bumper, Techart side skirts, Gemballa rear bumper, PSS9s, Cargraphic 18" racing wheels, RUF exhaust, GT3 seats
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow
So a stock 01 S would put out around 200-10?
Don't forget that's Wheel HP your stock engined should be arount 259 Flywheel HP
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 32
My stock 75k mile 2000 S made 224hp, 212 Tq at the back wheels. Mustang Dyno which read a little high.
stuklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuklr
My stock 75k mile 2000 S made 224hp, 212 Tq at the back wheels. Mustang Dyno which read a little high.
Yea, you know it's funny how much difference there can be among all the different manufactorers of Dyno's. The first time I took mine to a tuner shop, before I made any changes, the guy came up with 253hp, I told him that's impossible cause the FWHP was 259, so he made some ajustment to the machine, made 2 more runs and came up with 237 and 241. Needless to say I did not go back to him. yes it sounds impressive and with my mods it would have made around 300 whp but who are we kidding? mainly ourselfs, that's why I went in search for a guy who was down to earth and his machine was not all hyped up.
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com

Last edited by harryrcb; 10-06-2010 at 05:23 AM.
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
Yea, you know it's funny how much difference there can be among all the different manufactorers of Dyno's. The first time I took mine to a tuner shop, before I made any changes, the guy came up with 253hp, I told him that's impossible cause the FWHP was 259, so he made some ajustment to the machine, made 2 more runs and came up with 237 and 241. Needless to say I did not go back to him. yes it sounds impressive and with my mods it would have made around 300 whp but who are we kidding? mainly ourselfs, that's why I went in search for a guy who was down to earth and his machined was not all hyped up.
The worst dynos are the units that are in "tuner" shops where people go there to see what peak numbers they make. I use all 3 of my engine and chassis dynos as tools, generally not caring anything about the peak numbers, but rather the efficiency, AFR, EGT and BSFC numbers that we see. The other thing I tune for is torque and a flat torque curve.

These things equate to a better performing engine all around- period. Engines that are tuned for "Horsepower" are virtually worthless below 5,252 RPM, run rough and are a ******************** to drive.

Dynos can be the best tool in the shop or the worst, its all according to the mindset of the shop, the operator and the application. Most of my engines generally leave here with LESS peak power than they made during the best dyno sessions. I sacrifice net peak power for a flatter and fatter torque curve and the car is ALWAYS faster and drives better.

"Tuners" may argue, but they generally would not know what the piston from a Boxster was if it fell from the sky and landed on the floor of their shop.

I chose a dynojet unit for my chassis dyno for many reasons, primarily for repeatability and because of the sampling method. Many cars I dyno here are repeatable within 1-2HP and torque on other dynojet units, even older or newer than mine. Other dynos are much different.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist

Last edited by Jake Raby; 10-05-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Jaxonalden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,209
Garage
Jake,

You still have the one shop in GA or do you have other shops qualified to do your IMS retrofit kit?
__________________
Sadly on the outside looking in.
"Drive it like the Doctor ordered"
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Pat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
The worst dynos are the units that are in "tuner" shops where people go there to see what peak numbers they make. I use all 3 of my engine and chassis dynos as tools, generally not caring anything about the peak numbers, but rather the efficiency, AFR, EGT and BSFC numbers that we see. The other thing I tune for is torque and a flat torque curve.

These things equate to a better performing engine all around- period. Engines that are tuned for "Horsepower" are virtually worthless below 5,252 RPM, run rough and are a ******************** to drive.

Dynos can be the best tool in the shop or the worst, its all according to the mindset of the shop, the operator and the application. Most of my engines generally leave here with LESS peak power than they made during the best dyno sessions. I sacrifice net peak power for a flatter and fatter torque curve and the car is ALWAYS faster and drives better.

"Tuners" may argue, but they generally would not know what the piston from a Boxster was if it fell from the sky and landed on the floor of their shop.

I chose a dynojet unit for my chassis dyno for many reasons, primarily for repeatability and because of the sampling method. Many cars I dyno here are repeatable within 1-2HP and torque on other dynojet units, even older or newer than mine. Other dynos are much different.
Coming from the world of forced-induction Audis, I second this mindset. Most of the time cars similar to mine would put up bigger peak HP numbers. The big difference in cars was only the tune. When I would swap cars with other people just for kicks, they would always say mine was faster. Area under the curve is what makes a car fast.
__________________
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Jake,

You still have the one shop in GA or do you have other shops qualified to do your IMS retrofit kit?
Just one location. Thats all I plan on having as I am generally a control freak that has to orchestrate the procedures precisely.

The IMS Retrofit procedure is something that we originated, so I feel compelled to keep it under this roof where the first one was carried out with the hybrid ceramic bearing.

I have cars shipped here routinely, we have cars here now from Florida, Nebraska and one on the way from Canada.

See this link to an article I recently finished detailing the procedure.http://www.flat6innovations.com/services/intermediate-shaft-retrofit

Now, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, because it wasn't about the IMS procedure, but rather dyno tuning..

Using a dyno to get a big erection from a huge peak number may satisfy some, until they get spanked by the same car making more usable (average) power and less peak power than theirs. Then that erection goes limp pretty quick and you'll wish that you had the car tuned by someone like me-
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page