View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
The worst dynos are the units that are in "tuner" shops where people go there to see what peak numbers they make. I use all 3 of my engine and chassis dynos as tools, generally not caring anything about the peak numbers, but rather the efficiency, AFR, EGT and BSFC numbers that we see. The other thing I tune for is torque and a flat torque curve.

These things equate to a better performing engine all around- period. Engines that are tuned for "Horsepower" are virtually worthless below 5,252 RPM, run rough and are a ******************** to drive.

Dynos can be the best tool in the shop or the worst, its all according to the mindset of the shop, the operator and the application. Most of my engines generally leave here with LESS peak power than they made during the best dyno sessions. I sacrifice net peak power for a flatter and fatter torque curve and the car is ALWAYS faster and drives better.

"Tuners" may argue, but they generally would not know what the piston from a Boxster was if it fell from the sky and landed on the floor of their shop.

I chose a dynojet unit for my chassis dyno for many reasons, primarily for repeatability and because of the sampling method. Many cars I dyno here are repeatable within 1-2HP and torque on other dynojet units, even older or newer than mine. Other dynos are much different.
Coming from the world of forced-induction Audis, I second this mindset. Most of the time cars similar to mine would put up bigger peak HP numbers. The big difference in cars was only the tune. When I would swap cars with other people just for kicks, they would always say mine was faster. Area under the curve is what makes a car fast.