Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

Installed IPD Intake Plenum on 986 Boxster...Pics & Review

So, I recently installed the IPD intake plenum on my 986 Boxster ('02 2.7L). While the 986 has seemingly always lacked much availability for aftermarket parts compared to what's available for the other models & generations for the other Porsche siblings, this was a mod that I've always wanted to try out.

*** I had to split up this post amongst various posts, since 986forum restricted how many images could be allowed per individual post ***

PART1: Here we go:

Here is the OEM throttle body and plastic T style plenum next to the upgraded larger throttle body and IPD Y style plenum, along with the clamps and silicone reducers.

Smooth Y design of the plenum, rubber sealing O-ring to mate to the larger throttle body.

The Cayman 3.4L IPD plenum is modified for the 986 eGas boxster models.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts

Last edited by chaudanova; 09-19-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added pics
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #2

I believe the modifications for the 986 fitment (compared to stock for the Cayman application) is this larger nipple, and machined back piece.

Here is a comparison of the stock boxster 69mm throttle body next to the upgraded 75mm throttle body. (For simplicity sake, I'll refer to these as 69mm and 75mm, although the actual dimensions measured accurately are more along the lines of 68.xx mm and 74.xx mm). The larger "75mm" throttle body comes on the NA 996 Carreras, 987 Boxster & Cayman, 997TT, 997 NA, etc.

OEM T-pipe removed and new IPD silicone reducers set on the oem intake manifolds.

"Modified" Cayman S IPD silicone hose (cayman hose coupled to another hose via tube for temporary setup)

More to come...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #3

Part 2:

To replace the temporary silicone intake hose setup that used the Cayman hoses mated by an adjoining pipe is the new one piece IPD silicone hose made specifically for the 986 Boxster fitment.

Very nice piece with multi-ply layer silicone... Also decided to change my upgraded larger 996NA throttle body for the same size 997 Variant. Same 75mm throttle body size (74.xx mm), but I liked the color/finish on the later 997 models better. (Yes, OCD pickyness, I Know)

OEM throttle body next to the new larger throttle body. ~6mm Larger inner diameter.

Stock OEM plastic intake piping (from throttle body to MAF tubing & filter box).

Temporary Intake setup with Cayman piping, and misc. couplers/pipes.

New IPD multi-ply layer silicone formed 986 Boxster one piece intake hose pipe with smoother finish, and full ~3" inner diameter all the way through from throttle body to MAF pipe housing, pre-air filter box housing.

As you can see, the new one piece silicone intake hose pipe is pretty nice compared to the other previous setups.

IPD Plenum in place, ready for new throttle body to be bolted back in..

New throttle body in place...

Plenum, throttle body, and intake hose in place. Removed unnecessary bracket below.

Driving impressions to come in part 3...

Old 09-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #4

Part 3: Driving Impressions & Review...

Parts Added:

IPD Plenum setup for 986 Boxster (modified version of Cayman plenum, see pictures above for explanation), 75mm Porsche throttle body (74.xx mm 996NA/987/997), and new IPD 986 boxster silicone intake hose.

Fit & Finish:

The IPD intake plenum is a very solid and well build piece. It is a cast aluminum plenum, feels lightweight, and has an orange colored smooth inner tract lining. The inner diameters of the 3 openings for the plenum are larger than stock, and the Y design seems incorporated with a well thought out design that doesn't sacrifice overall air volume, as the overall plenum is larger than stock.

The 75mm porsche throttle body bolts straight onto the IPD plenum and is perfect fit. Like stated in my earlier posts, you could use the 996NA throttle body, the 987 Boxster/Cayman TB, and the 997 NA & TT throttle bodies, etc..

The new IPD intake piping silicone hose is a one piece fitment from the throttle body to the oem airbox's MAF tube connection, or in my case, to an aftermarket MAF tubing to a "cold" air intake, or cone filter. This new larger hose replaces the stock intake piping. The fitment of the hose is great, and didn't require any modification for fitment. The hose is a multi-ply silicone hose and feels very solid and sturdy. It is currently attached to the TB and MAF pipe with worm-clamp connectors, but I'll be changing these out for T-Bolt clamps and dual beaded T-bolt clamps (although this is overkill and unnecessary).

Installation:

Just a generalized installation summary, although if anyone would like a full DIY, let me know. Removal & installation is very straightforward and can be done under an hour overall. If you're handy, of course you could get it done in 15-20 minutes for the installation.

1. Put the 986 Boxster top in "service mode" & remove the engine cover
2. Remove the OEM plastic intake piping
3. Remove the OEM throttle body and T-pipe as a single unit
4. Fit the IPD silicone coupler/reducers to the OEM intake manifolds
5. Center the IPD plenum in place between the intake manifolds
6. Install new 75mm throttle body to the plenum.
7. Install the IPD silicone intake hose piping
8. Secure/Tighten all clamps and connectors after adjusting proper fitment.
9. Reset ECU & calibrate throttle body
10. Drive aggressively while the ECU readjusts

* Key Note: Make sure you have a healthy MAF sensor! This is very important either way, whether you are stock or modded.

Driving Impressions & Feel:

While a bit of a skeptic, I always do my homework and research on any mods prior to getting into it. I've read plenty of reviews and talked to many people who already have the IPD plenum who have felt great gains, whether it be via the "butt-dyno" or measured by actual dyno before/after runs. As great as that always sounds, I would never actually know how it would be for my personal car and setup until I tried it myself.

My impressions of the new IPD intake setup: Just getting on the gas at low speeds out of the parking lot or onto the street, I could feel the car just rev up faster and just want to go. That immediately suppressed my fears of the potential to lose some low end torque grunt. Fortunately, it felt more powerful on the low end, revved up faster, and did it all much more smoothly and felt much less restricted in doing so.

Midrange and high end feel great. The car simply pulls harder throughout the entire powerband. The throttle response is quicker, and there is less hesitation to accelerate. The sound is also more aggressive, and overall power delivery is very smooth and linear.

Getting on the freeway onramps and overtaking on the freeway no longer feel like a chore, as the car pulls much stronger than before.

This has been a great mod. In fact, it is probably the most rewarding out of all of my peformance mods thus far.

While I don't have any dyno charts to post (and I sure wish that I had done a before and after dyno run), I can definitely say that I'm very happy with the mod, and that I definitely feel that the car pulls much harder and feels faster.

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I definitely would without any reservation.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 AM   #5

Great write up, I have Pedros version of the IPD and like it. I especially like the formed silicon intake tube, I may want to get one to replace my current setup.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #6

Great write-up. Congrats on your success. But can you let us know the "downside'....that is the $$$$$ spent for the mod???

Thanks, Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #7

wow...
Thanks for the great write up, and photo journal!

I love the design of all of those parts,
they look really well done..
(Especially the one piece silicon intake tube,
it should cut down on heat transfer, as well as being more robust.)

After you tell us what the "downside" is,
I suppose I'll have to put it on the list of things I need!

But I'll have to do some research to find out what throttle body options are for those of us with actual throttle cables..

Thanks again!
-Brad
JettaGLi16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #8

Garage
Great write-up Chaudanova. I have a question; Air flow is limited to the smallest diameter tube in the manifold (barring pressurization), that being the intake runners. Since these were not swapped out for the 3.4 runners I'm wondering were the "extra" umph comes from?

I installed an EVO intake and I understand freeing up the restrictive stock air cleaner assembly for a more free flowing system but I have my doubts about the IPD manifold. Can you sell me on this?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Carnut

I followed your post on 6speed, thanks for posting here!

I just wonder how this setup would compare to a Technotorque and the "homemade" intake hose, of course with the same throttle body..........
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #10

Where do I buy this? I want one.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemon
Where do I buy this? I want one.
I'm sure you'll like it as much as I enjoy mine... Especially to complement your exhaust setup you have listed..

You can get in touch with IPD via their contact on their webpage... Here's the link to the 986 plenum:

http://www.ipdplenums.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=15

Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6
I followed your post on 6speed, thanks for posting here!

I just wonder how this setup would compare to a Technotorque and the "homemade" intake hose, of course with the same throttle body..........
In my opinion, I don't think there is a comparison at all. One makes power and one loses power.

The TT (in theory) seems like it would work, with the splitter design in mind. Problem is, that it is still too small, using the stock sized T-pipe, and then is made even smaller by putting the splitter in there, decreasing the inner volume.

The IPD plenum is an entirely crafted out piece, and not only is larger, but has much more into the R&D for improved airflow.

There was a (controversial) thread in the forums where the Technotorque lost power, dyno backed.

On the flipside, almost every single dyno chart I've seen with the IPD proved real power gains...

I'm no racecar engineer... these are my thoughts on this though...

Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #13

Ipd Ftw! (For The Win)
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #14

Garage
In defense of Pedro's Techno Torque, the dyno results on my vehicle from about a year ago presumably showed a very slight increase in HP. I hasten to say, that the TT was installed at the same time as a couple of other modifications were. However, the point is that at no time did my vehicle show a loss in power due to the TT as others have indicated. With all due respect to JAAY and those who may have experienced a loss in power, keep in mind that the TT was designed to be used in conjunction with 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2 engines. I have no doubt that Chaudanova's experience with the IPD is accurate, however, I also believe that the TT has merit of its own. Especially if you compare the price between the two.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Also, I don't think Pedro claims ANY hp gain on the TT... just more Torque.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #16

Hello All...

What kind of HP gains are you seeing chaudanova? Thanks!
djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Also, I don't think Pedro claims ANY hp gain on the TT... just more Torque.
Horsepower is a FUNCTION of torque at a certain RPM. You can't have one without the other. In its basic equation, horsepower is simply torque x RPM. (with the appropriate conversion factors.) In fact, torque and power are (almost) flip sides of the same coin. Increasing the torque of an engine at a particular RPM is the same as increasing the power output at the same RPM.

Power (hp) = Torque (ft-lb) * RPM

So, yes, Pedro refers mainly to an increase in torque (8 ft-lbs. in some cases), however, there is also a resulting increase in power.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Horsepower is a FUNCTION of torque at a certain RPM. You can't have one without the other. In its basic equation, horsepower is simply torque x RPM. (with the appropriate conversion factors.) In fact, torque and power are (almost) flip sides of the same coin. Increasing the torque of an engine at a particular RPM is the same as increasing the power output at the same RPM.

Power (hp) = Torque (ft-lb) * RPM

So, yes, Pedro refers mainly to an increase in torque (8 ft-lbs. in some cases), however, there is also a resulting increase in power.
Lol, you really like to disagree with me huh? I'm just quoting what Pedro stated himself when he first developed his TechnoTorque...

"No increase in HP...":
http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?6,1510167,1510211#msg-1510211

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Lol, you really like to disagree with me huh? I'm just quoting what Pedro stated himself when he first developed his TechnoTorque...

"No increase in HP...":
http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?6,1510167,1510211#msg-1510211

Actually, I'm starting to think that you "complete me" !
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova

On the flipside, almost every single dyno chart I've seen with the IPD proved real power gains...

Any approximations on recorded gains? I'm seriously considering this being my next upgrade.

Thanks.