Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Oil plug sealing washer

In the past my vendor has sent the oil filters with the aluminum gasket for the oil plug inside the filter box.

Yesterday after draining the oil (of course) I discovered that my filter was missing the aluminum gasket... and the old one was too distorted to be reused.

I went to three different auto part stores and found the same size gasket at NAPA, however I could not find aluminum or copper, the gasket I found is made of 'fiber' which I used and torqued the plug at the recommended 37 ft/lbs.

Don't have any leaks, but I am concerned about the aluminum plug becoming loose dropping the oil, any comments against using a fiber seal gasket with the aluminum plug?

Thanks, Gilles

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

It's called a crush washer. While fibre isn't the favorite choice, it s/b OK, the drain plug will remain in place if properly torques as you say.

It may start to leak sooner than the alloy one, if so you can change it. Recommend buy a dozen or so, they're cheap and it's always good to have extras around - they aren't perishable so they'll aways be there when you need them.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #3

Hi,
If your car is running good and it is the oil leak that is concerning you,then yes it may be the valve cover gasket.If it is not a running issue then your head gasket is probably not the problem.Your head gasket is below the spark plug holes.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
In the past my vendor has sent the oil filters with the aluminum gasket for the oil plug inside the filter box.

Yesterday after draining the oil (of course) I discovered that my filter was missing the aluminum gasket... and the old one was too distorted to be reused.

I went to three different auto part stores and found the same size gasket at NAPA, however I could not find aluminum or copper, the gasket I found is made of 'fiber' which I used and torqued the plug at the recommended 37 ft/lbs.

Don't have any leaks, but I am concerned about the aluminum plug becoming loose dropping the oil, any comments against using a fiber seal gasket with the aluminum plug?

Thanks, Gilles
I currently have a "fiber" crush ring as well due to an inability to find the proper sized aluminum one nearby at a parts store. It's working great, but I will be replacing it within a couple thousand miles...
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Finding the crush washer

Does anyone know where to buy these locally? I can find them online, but hoping to find a local auto parts store that will carry them.

Thanks.
DesertDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #6

0 results

I spent 2 weeks looking for them at the local stores (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc.) and came up with 0 results. I bought like 10 of them online...

Good luck,
-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote