986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Oil plug sealing washer (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23680-oil-plug-sealing-washer.html)

Gilles 02-14-2010 12:20 PM

Oil plug sealing washer

In the past my vendor has sent the oil filters with the aluminum gasket for the oil plug inside the filter box.

Yesterday after draining the oil (of course) I discovered that my filter was missing the aluminum gasket... and the old one was too distorted to be reused.

I went to three different auto part stores and found the same size gasket at NAPA, however I could not find aluminum or copper, the gasket I found is made of 'fiber' which I used and torqued the plug at the recommended 37 ft/lbs.

Don't have any leaks, but I am concerned about the aluminum plug becoming loose dropping the oil, any comments against using a fiber seal gasket with the aluminum plug?

Thanks, Gilles

Lil bastard 02-14-2010 04:50 PM

It's called a crush washer. While fibre isn't the favorite choice, it s/b OK, the drain plug will remain in place if properly torques as you say.

It may start to leak sooner than the alloy one, if so you can change it. Recommend buy a dozen or so, they're cheap and it's always good to have extras around - they aren't perishable so they'll aways be there when you need them.

Cheers!

braq 02-22-2010 02:35 AM

Hi,
If your car is running good and it is the oil leak that is concerning you,then yes it may be the valve cover gasket.If it is not a running issue then your head gasket is probably not the problem.Your head gasket is below the spark plug holes.

Oaktown 986 03-10-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles
In the past my vendor has sent the oil filters with the aluminum gasket for the oil plug inside the filter box.

Yesterday after draining the oil (of course) I discovered that my filter was missing the aluminum gasket... and the old one was too distorted to be reused.

I went to three different auto part stores and found the same size gasket at NAPA, however I could not find aluminum or copper, the gasket I found is made of 'fiber' which I used and torqued the plug at the recommended 37 ft/lbs.

Don't have any leaks, but I am concerned about the aluminum plug becoming loose dropping the oil, any comments against using a fiber seal gasket with the aluminum plug?

Thanks, Gilles

I currently have a "fiber" crush ring as well due to an inability to find the proper sized aluminum one nearby at a parts store. It's working great, but I will be replacing it within a couple thousand miles...

DesertDriver 05-29-2010 05:08 PM

Finding the crush washer

Does anyone know where to buy these locally? I can find them online, but hoping to find a local auto parts store that will carry them.

Thanks.

chitowndad 05-30-2010 05:13 PM

0 results

I spent 2 weeks looking for them at the local stores (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc.) and came up with 0 results. I bought like 10 of them online...

Good luck,
-Steve