Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboxstercar
"At the end of the day, it is your car, so use what ever you want. Me, I’ll read and digest the available data and act accordingly……………."

Again - it's all opinion. What I hate about this board is too many people like you stating their opiniion as though it's fact. I's amazing that someone ask's a question and you answer the question (The oil is the problem) like your a Petroleum engineer. Are you?

As a matter fact, I am an engineer, I have been a life long member of the SAE, and spent the early part of my corporate career involved R&D on lubricants and lube additives..........not that it much matters. You continue to say “my opinion”; which is not correct. My statements are based upon over 35 years of owning, building and racing various Porsche’s, a database that reflects over a decade of collected new and used lubricant performance analysis, and a lot of years professionally repairing and maintaining client’s street and race Porsches. I am also a contributor to multiple websites where the relative merits of various oil’s and gear oil’s performance and technical characteristics are regularly discussed. So, no, it is not just my “opinion”……………..

Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #22

Garage
I was with you right up until the word "websites", gilding the lilly on that one.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I was with you right up until the word "websites", gilding the lilly on that one.
Not really, that point is easily enough confirmed……….
Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #24

Garage
If you can hang on "Bob is the Oil Guy" then it might not be gilding the lily.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
If you can hang on "Bob is the Oil Guy" then it might not be gilding the lily.
I am a long time BITOG member, as well as multiple specific vehicle brand sites that have lubricant forum sections.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
pboxstercar

Instead of saying "The oil is the problem" the post should have stated "try changing to a different brand of oil - that may help".

Instead of supporting such postings as JFP who does not understand facts versus opinions you are doing a disservice to all that try and use this board. But that is my opinion - it is not a FACT.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Instead of saying "The oil is the problem" the post should have stated "try changing to a different brand of oil - that may help".

Instead of supporting such postings as JFP who does not understand facts versus opinions you are doing a disservice to all that try and use this board. But that is my opinion - it is not a FACT.
Point is, Jake was, in fact, correct; even if you put a fresh load the same brand of oil back in, and the problem even temporarily goes away, it was the oil. Changing to another brand could offer a more permanent fix, but only if it is a better quality product than the first one.

Your continuing intransigence on this subject is a “poster child” example of why those of us that actually posses both the data and experience on the subject often decide to not waste our time by participate in oil related discussions.

So, continue to rant away, getting your knickers in a twist while you are at it; I’m done on the subject. Some want to learn, some just want to argue without any basis in fact……………
Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
pboxstercar

"Your continuing intransigence on this subject is a “poster child” example of why those of us that actually posses both the data and experience on the subject often decide to not waste our time by participate in oil related discussions"

Please - I implore you to quit "wasting your time". I don't think you help anyone on this board with responses like yours.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #29

Quote:
"Your continuing intransigence on this subject is a “poster child” example of why those of us that actually posses both the data and experience on the subject often decide to not waste our time by participate in oil related discussions"

Please - I implore you to quit "wasting your time". I don't think you help anyone on this board with responses like yours.
Actually, I will continue to offer my help and experience to others on this and other boards that want to learn. You, sir, are on your own………………
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
pboxstercar

"Actually, I will continue to offer my help and experience to others on this and other boards that want to learn. You, sir, are on your own………………"

I used to think it was often challenging to distinguish credible training advice from false advice - not anymore.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Please stop using red color font,I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who gets a headache while reading it.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #32

Garage
LOL...He is an engineer, the red font is the result of too many markup sessions, but I agree it is annoying.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #33

First off, I would like to thank all of you for helping me solve my problem. It was very generous of you to take the time answering my question. However, I did not ever imagine that my simple problem would have caused such an uproar over oil. I am sorry if anyone has taken offense over any one persons response to my problem. I find all of your collective knowledge invaluable.

Thank you all.

Biang
Biang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #34
pboxstercar

"I did that for the benefit of my engine program, not to debate keyboard to keyboard with those who have never touched the internals of an M96 engine with a wrench."

Sorry - I didn't realize this board was only for mechanics that make money fixing boxsters.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biang
First off, I would like to thank all of you for helping me solve my problem. It was very generous of you to take the time answering my question. However, I did not ever imagine that my simple problem would have caused such an uproar over oil. I am sorry if anyone has taken offense over any one persons response to my problem. I find all of your collective knowledge invaluable.

Thank you all.

Biang
Biang, another thing to consider is to STOP taking your car to the dealership. I took my 2006 to the dealership for the last time this past October. I'll be out of warranty in late March.

I now go to Fischer Moters in Barrington (Rick Fischer 847-304-8822). They just recently purchased the Porsche software to service the 987/997. They currently service my 1997 Turbo (993) and my wife's Mercedes. They'll start seeing my Boxster at the end of this year's driving season.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #36

JFP /Jake - don't worry, sounds like Mr pboxstercar is a (semi) professional agitator who will vanish as quickly as the famous Phantom of a few months ago......
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #37

Steve, are you saying Mr pboxstercar is a disgruntled ex-986 forum member that got hit with the ban stick? That would explain a lot. He certainly seems like he has an axe to grind considering his newb status.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #38

Adam - could be, stranger things have happened to discredit JR & JFP .......

Biang - sorry, your perfectly legitimate question got out of hand. One of the most disconcerting sounds of the M96 engine is the start up "rattle" after a few days sitting - mine also sounds like a tractor for about a second after starting from cold, but once it settles into a 1200 rpm idle all is quiet, with no hydraulic tappet noise since I changed to Shell Advance 5w40 synthetic oil - which may not be available in the US.....
Be brave, accept it or go to a reputable shop for professional advice which will help you sleep at night.
We all have a vested interest in the health of our vehicles and I have found that Raby & JFP have handed out some sage advice to us amateurs in the past - red script or not.......
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #39

To Flavor 987S and all others,

Thank you. I currently go to MotorWerks in Barrington now, so going over to Fischer would not be a problem. My warranty is up this June, I think.

I have owned sports cars (more than I can count) since I first received my license (my first car was an Austin Healy). And have hung out with a variety of sports car junkies, but I have to agree with the PCA slogan. "It's not just the cars, It's the people". Porsche people are the greatest.

Again, Thank You for all your advice.

Till later,

Biang
Biang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biang
To Flavor 987S and all others,

Thank you. I currently go to MotorWerks in Barrington now, so going over to Fischer would not be a problem. My warranty is up this June, I think.

I have owned sports cars (more than I can count) since I first received my license (my first car was an Austin Healy). And have hung out with a variety of sports car junkies, but I have to agree with the PCA slogan. "It's not just the cars, It's the people". Porsche people are the greatest.

Again, Thank You for all your advice.

Till later,

Biang

Biang, please stop going to Motor Werks! They are aweful. The Porsche service writter, Chauncey, is a total a$$. I only went there for oil changes, and still dreaded the experience.

You will be very pleased with Rick Fischer. Let him know Bill with the Arena Red 993 Turbo sent you in.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote