Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
Wideband install.

Installing the AEM uego gauge to the box. Bought it from aemonly.com if you are interested. Some stuff I did today.




Parts included


Tools needed as always in order of importance.

I used a unibit and a mig welder for the included bung. This was as close as I could get it to the header with out getting in the way of anything.




I started getting the wiring harness ready. I just have to figure out where to mount the gauge. I am also installing apexi afc select to tune with. I used to make 100s of hp on my turbo cars with these. Yes I know of the excellence article this month. I spoke with him before on this. We are both running into the same running rich issue and this has fixed his problem and I finally located my own afc select to do it too. They were discontinued awhile back. I will do a small write up on that too when I get the chance. It is a simple install.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Installing the AEM uego gauge to the box. Bought it from aemonly.com if you are interested. Some stuff I did today.


I will do a small write up on that too when I get the chance. It is a simple install.
compared to the engine swap you did - ANYTHING else is a simple install now!

let us know how it turns out. you think that gauge will look okay on the inside of the car? does it glow amber or another color? I know ffrom past experiences on other cars, there are some high $$ gauges out there that you can alter the gauge face color to match your OEM lights. i think durameter made a line of gauges that did that. if that was somethign you were concerned with..

can't wait for more pics!
__________________
_____________________________
Cars:
2007 MDX - Wife's mommy mobile
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
Yup the gauge is led lit and can be a multiple of colors with a touch of a button. I am going to mount it with the autometer single column gauge pod. It is a replacement plastic for the top of your steering column with a spot for a gauge. Gauge was 175 shipped to the door. Not too bad. I will finish it up maybe early this week. There is still a foot and a half of snow in front of my garage. Also swapping in H&R coilovers as well right now. Keep posted....
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Jaay,

I'm convinced that you're involved in a clandestine project with NASA to turn your boxster into the next space shuttle. Over and out !
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Just curious. Why just the sensor+gauge and extra bung instead of a WEGO with data logging and a narrow band simulator that would replace one of the existing sensors? Logging with rpm and load sensing sure makes tuning much easier, especially with one person. You wouldn't need the extra bung either.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Jay, the only thing I understand in your post is the ale. Lol. What is that you are installing?!
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Jay, the only thing I understand in your post is the ale. Lol. What is that you are installing?!
Typical narrow band oxygen sensors found in most cars are only accurate in reading the oxygen content in an exhaust stream (and therefore projecting the air/fuel ratio) near the stoichiometric ratio. This is only useful when the car is running at low loads (cruising) when you want the engine to be running near this ratio. They aren't accurate at reading the air/fuel ratio when the car is at high load (accelerating) or idle. Therefore, they're not very useful for tuning an engine.

The wide band oxygen sensor has a different construction that allows it to be accurate for a much wider range of air/fuel ratios. With this sensor, you can measure and tune an engine for optimal operation under all driving conditions.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
What he said
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 434
Why are you installing a wideband? Are you going f/i?

Edit - Reread your post. So you plan to lean out the mix - any idea if this will net you an HP increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Installing the AEM uego gauge to the box.
__________________
1999 Carrera 4 Aero kit 4" UD Pulley
My Corvette doesn't leak oil... it sweats horsepower.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 02-21-2010 at 08:44 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
Sorry I have not updated this post. Had our baby girl three weeks ago and is taking up all our time. I had the bung welded on my cat pipe and have have painted the weld so not to rust. I am waiting on my single gauge pod from autometer ( the column one). I should have it all installed this friday. Pics to come. Yes leaning out my car will add around 30hp I am guessing. It is running very rich for some reason and this is my way to solve it. Most will not agree with my methods. Prove me wrong! ECU reflashes are generic and not specific.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 328
Subscribed to this thread! I am looking at these autometer guage pods and are keen to see what you think of them in person. Being Autometer, I am expecting it to be of good quality, but its just so cheap compared to most Porsche parts!

Also looking at installing a wideband sensor soon as I am planning a neat nitrous setup.

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Typical narrow band oxygen sensors found in most cars are only accurate in reading the oxygen content in an exhaust stream (and therefore projecting the air/fuel ratio) near the stoichiometric ratio. This is only useful when the car is running at low loads (cruising) when you want the engine to be running near this ratio. They aren't accurate at reading the air/fuel ratio when the car is at high load (accelerating) or idle. Therefore, they're not very useful for tuning an engine.

The wide band oxygen sensor has a different construction that allows it to be accurate for a much wider range of air/fuel ratios. With this sensor, you can measure and tune an engine for optimal operation under all driving conditions.
Jaay, congradulations on the baby. Kids are great. I have 4 myself.

Anyway, I too am new to Boxsters and a lot of this tecnical jargon. Though I have done a lot of my own basic car maintenence and repairs, I have never done any performance mods to any of my cars.

Let me see if I can get this streight:
- This gets installed on the exhaust
- I presume it somehow gets hooked into the cars computer?
- It can help the cars computer to improve air/fuel ratios
- It can improve performance and I would also presume efficiency

Anything else missing?

Frans
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 91
What MAF housing are you running? 3.5" or stock?

I should probably see if I'm running rich on my 3.4 swap as well.

Also let us know how the H&R Coils handle.

Thanks!
Mike
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #14
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by backman_z
Jaay, congradulations on the baby. Kids are great. I have 4 myself.

Anyway, I too am new to Boxsters and a lot of this tecnical jargon. Though I have done a lot of my own basic car maintenence and repairs, I have never done any performance mods to any of my cars.

Let me see if I can get this streight:
- This gets installed on the exhaust
- I presume it somehow gets hooked into the cars computer?
- It can help the cars computer to improve air/fuel ratios
- It can improve performance and I would also presume efficiency

Anything else missing?

Frans
Aftermarket wide band O2 sensors include the sensor and a power/converter box that will power the sensor and convert the reading from the sensor to one that you can read. It also includes output signals so that the data can be read and collected by another device, like an ECU or laptop. This box almost always has a readout on it so that you don't really need to get another gauge. The output from a wideband sensor is NOT compatible with that of a narrow band sensor, so you can't just plug a wideband into your car and go. Widebands have outputs from 0-5V in a very linear fashion, narrow bands read from 0-1V and have a very non-linear characteristic.

You can get wide bands on your car in a couple of ways. You can add another bung to the header, as JAAY did and it will be completely independent of the existing feedback system.

They also have versions that will simulate a narrow band signal so that you can remove the O2 sensor that's already there, screw in the wide band, and plug the narrow band connector into the converter box.

Along with the wideband and converter box, you need some way to tune your AFR, either by controlling the DME or by interrupting the MAF signal that goes into the DME with another controller box. This box adjusts the MAF signal going into the DME to richen or lean the mixture for any given running condition.

The wideband is essential for proper engine tuning. It's the best way to know what your AFR is during non-cruising conditions. Having said that, if you're not tuning the car yourself, there's really no point to installing one.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
On my phone now so this will be short. The wide band is in. The autometer single pod is perfect. Ill get some photos up for you. I am running 3.5 maf housing. Tuning with a apexi afc select. I was running down in the 10.2 range now with a quick tune am at 12.5. The car f$&@ing rips now. I'll get photos and video up as soon as I can. I'll post up soon.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
Oh! H&r coilovers handle great. The car feels very planted. They are not for the faint of heart. A bit stiff for some ny roads. Forget about NYC driving. . I love em.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Aftermarket wide band O2 sensors include the sensor and a power/converter box that will power the sensor and convert the reading from the sensor to one that you can read. It also includes output signals so that the data can be read and collected by another device, like an ECU or laptop. This box almost always has a readout on it so that you don't really need to get another gauge. The output from a wideband sensor is NOT compatible with that of a narrow band sensor, so you can't just plug a wideband into your car and go. Widebands have outputs from 0-5V in a very linear fashion, narrow bands read from 0-1V and have a very non-linear characteristic.

You can get wide bands on your car in a couple of ways. You can add another bung to the header, as JAAY did and it will be completely independent of the existing feedback system.

They also have versions that will simulate a narrow band signal so that you can remove the O2 sensor that's already there, screw in the wide band, and plug the narrow band connector into the converter box.

Along with the wideband and converter box, you need some way to tune your AFR, either by controlling the DME or by interrupting the MAF signal that goes into the DME with another controller box. This box adjusts the MAF signal going into the DME to richen or lean the mixture for any given running condition.

The wideband is essential for proper engine tuning. It's the best way to know what your AFR is during non-cruising conditions. Having said that, if you're not tuning the car yourself, there's really no point to installing one.

After instalation of the wide band sensor and converter, do I have to take the car to a tuning shop and get the ECU re-tuned to match the new controller?
Or can the new controller box tune by sending a new signal (overriding the stock signal) to the cars computer.

Am I getting closer to understanding, or am I way out in left field?

Frans

Also: It sounds as though Jaay is getting more power. Does it also become more efficient?
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
Backman. Pm sent.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Cool, keep us updated on the project. Sounds like this AEM wideband kit is really paying off.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
If you may plan to buy a aem wideband... Buy it through aemonly.com They run deals on them all the time. I paid 175 with free shipping. Promo code ruckus I believe. it is in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bWPKid4kY
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page