Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

160 Thermostat on order!

Just thought I would let ya'll know that I ordered a 160 stat from LN. Useless post.

Hopefully there in stock being that I have to change my coolant and though why waste the opportunity to mod some more....

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the club...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #3

Did the same when I had the coolant changed after my cap failure last summer. So far needle reads lower than with the stock thermo. Haven't really been on a trip on a warm day to really challenge it but it the needle does read lower. Seems like ever since I had it installed my section of the globe has significantly cooled, go figure!

Along these mod lines, I recently picked up copy # 185 of the UK publication, "911 & Porsche World" and it has a nice review of the larger capacity oil sump which helps hard cornering cars from oil starving on long fast corners. Nice photo essay as installed by Autofarm. LNEngineering along with Jake Raby carry the kit.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Just thought I would let ya'll know that I ordered a 160 stat from LN. Useless post.

Hopefully there in stock being that I have to change my coolant and though why waste the opportunity to mod some more....
I actually am considering the mod during the winter break. Can you (and anyone who has installed it) just give us an idea on what it takes to install it and how muc time it takes?

Thanks!

Michael
Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986FortyEight
I actually am considering the mod during the winter break. Can you (and anyone who has installed it) just give us an idea on what it takes to install it and how muc time it takes?

Thanks!

Michael
The low temp unit takes the same time to install as a stock T-stat.
I install one in every engine I build and I have one in both my test cars.

Look for an install DVD for the unit around Christmas...
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #6

Garage
what are the benefits to the improved stat
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

Garage
...and the reason for installing a 160 degree thermostat? The factory one is set to high causing overheat problems? (Mines rock solid at 184). Fooling the computer that the engine is cold so it enriches the fuel? Old one doesn't flow enough coolant? Or is the oil temp to high and the lower temp thermostat will save the oils viscosity?

I'd love to hear the theory behind it.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-17-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #8

Garage
im under the impression ur not a fan of the LN stat?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
...and the reason for installing a 160 degree thermostat? The factory one is set to high causing overheat problems? (Mines rock solid at 184). Fooling the computer that the engine is cold so it enriches the fuel? Old one doesn't flow enough coolant? Or is the oil temp to high and the lower temp thermostat will save the oils viscosity?

I'd love to hear the theory behind it.
Although this has been covered many times, the low temperature thermostat doesn't trick the engine into warm up enrichment. Remember, if the engine doesn't go out of warm up enrichment in a certain window, it triggers a CEL. The DME is always adapting to hit it's target air/fuel ratios. Just because the coolant temp is lower doesn't mean it's going to run richer, it will run the same AFR! A cooler engine increases volumetric efficiency and more timing can be run safely, again timing being a variable that the engine can adjust.

The simplest answer for a low temperature thermostat is that other Porsche models have them and Porsche has been migrating to lower thermostat temperatures over the last few years on all their models. Just because Porsche did it, doesn't mean it's perfect or right.

Reducing the coolant temperature will reduce oil (and ATF, in tip cars) temperatures, which run 10-15F higher than the coolant temp in normal driving. If that was the only gain, that would be plenty in my book. Other benefits and general principals have been discussed in earlier threads.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #10

We already know that the casting alloys used by Porsche for the M96 are suspect and do suffer from cracking and failures. A simple 15-25F degree reduction in temperature can translate into an increase of several thousand psi of the tensile strength of an aluminum alloy. There are areas of the engine much hotter than what the temperature gauge indicates. Depending on the alloy, you can lose an additional 30 to 50% tensile strength from 212F to 300F.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
im under the impression ur not a fan of the LN stat?
Did you read my post? LN does great research and development to right the wrongs that our dear OEM did not and will not. I just want to understand the principal behind it.

Think of it like politics, I'm not going to act like a sheep because of what someone says, I want to know the background, path and if it makes sense.

cnavarro, thanks for the explanation. It does have merit.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-18-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Engine Surgeon

Just because the factory didn't offer it doesn't mean that its wrong...

I see benefits from the installation of this unit all the time...

I also have 3 sets of cracked heads in my shop right now, none of them came from cars that had "overheated".

Charles and I took the research supporting this unit's development very seriously, nits not just some tuner part thats advertised well but doesn't work. If it was I wouldn't include them on the engines that have my name stamped into them reconstructed with advanced components.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #13

Garage
jax i was asking a question to you when i read ur post i wasnt sure if it was sarcasm or if it was just a serious inquiry or what. i did not mean any offense or the sort i was just confused from ur post what your standpoint was
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #14

Garage
Lobo1186, no harm no foul bro.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #15

JAAY are you doing yourself? Let us know how it goes..
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #16

Of coarse I am doing it myself. After that look for my base dyno and then my dyno with techno torque installed maybe late next week. It all depends on when my thermostat comes in. My techno torque will be here on Tuesday.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #17

I changed mine in the garage; it's really pretty simple. It took more time to drain the old coolant and mess with that, than install the new t-stat. I even sold my OEM t-stat and housing on eBay to cover some of the cost of the upgrade (car had 16k miles).

My Box nows runs happy and cooler with lower temps and new juice running throughout.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #18

That is hilarious that someone bought a used thermostat on ebay! You can sell anything on ebay!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #19

Is pressure bleeding of the cooling system necessary after opening it up? Wouldn't want get any nasty dry pockets happening..?

Last edited by jaykay; 10-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
Engine Surgeon

Pressure bleeding is a really good thing.. I feel that quite a few of the head cracks that people are experiencing are coming from cooling systems with pockets that create hot spots..