Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

Adding cruise control

I've got a '99 986 5-speed and I'd like to fit it with cruise control. My preference would be to retro-fit it with the original Porsche system. I'd probably have to have that done at a dealer and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has an idea of the cost. The other option would be some aftermarket unit but I haven't had much luck finding anything. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #2

You will need the switch cluster with the cruise stalk and the cruise control unit itself, also you will need the pedal switch. The control unit attaches to the gas pedal with a cable, that and the wiring from the switch to the control unit and the control unit to the car ( cluster, brake/clutch switch and OBD port) . The parts are fairly expensive new, ~$150 for the stalk cluster and ~$1000 for the control unit. I have a good control unit removed from my car when I did the engine swap that works just fine. If you are interested in it just send me and email or message through the board. I would sell it very cheap.

-Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I've got a '99 986 5-speed and I'd like to fit it with cruise control. My preference would be to retro-fit it with the original Porsche system. I'd probably have to have that done at a dealer and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has an idea of the cost. The other option would be some aftermarket unit but I haven't had much luck finding anything. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
1971 911T

Last edited by tholyoak; 01-31-2010 at 06:58 AM.
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the info - I've sent you a message.

Mark
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

I'd check and make sure there isn't one already installed. I know I was reading on the renntech forums that some cars have everything they need except the stalk and to have the code enabled in the OBC. That might only apply to the OBC display though.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARModen
I'd check and make sure there isn't one already installed. I know I was reading on the renntech forums that some cars have everything they need except the stalk and to have the code enabled in the OBC. That might only apply to the OBC display though.
OBC only! Because it's just part of the software pkg. already in the DME - buy the stalk, wake up that section of the DME software and you're good to go.

The CC uses it's own bits of hardware which are not part of the standard car.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #6

The 5.2.2 cars (2.5L) used an external cruise control device. In the 7.2 and 7.8 cars the DME and instrument cluster, respectively controlled the cruise. Thus in the 7.2 and 7.8 cars you can just add the stalk and wires to the DME or cluster and activate the cruise control with a PST2 or PIWIS. This is what is explained on renntech.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholyoak
The 5.2.2 cars (2.5L) used an external cruise control device. In the 7.2 and 7.8 cars the DME and instrument cluster, respectively controlled the cruise. Thus in the 7.2 and 7.8 cars you can just add the stalk and wires to the DME or cluster and activate the cruise control with a PST2 or PIWIS. This is what is explained on renntech.

-Todd
Agreed. Absolutely!

But the car in question is a '99 - 5.2.2 Motronic - it's the lack of egas which requires the extra bits.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-04-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #8

OBD, OBC, DME, PST2, PIWIS, egas .... Fellas....I'm just a simple cableguy and this is all going right over my head. Plus, I've only had the car for a few months and I'm still at the steep end of the learning curve.

Let me see if I'm understanding this or not:

Because I have a '99 without egas I will need to get the control unit (kindly offered by Todd) and I will also need to acquire the cruise stalk for the steering column, but the wiring should already be in place (or not?). Does this mean that I if I get these two components they should plug right in to existing plugs/ports/wires and then all I would have to do is go down to the dealer to get the cruise "turned on"?

Mark
Old 02-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
OBD, OBC, DME, PST2, PIWIS, egas .... Fellas....I'm just a simple cableguy and this is all going right over my head. Plus, I've only had the car for a few months and I'm still at the steep end of the learning curve.

Let me see if I'm understanding this or not:

Because I have a '99 without egas I will need to get the control unit (kindly offered by Todd) and I will also need to acquire the cruise stalk for the steering column, but the wiring should already be in place (or not?). Does this mean that I if I get these two components they should plug right in to existing plugs/ports/wires and then all I would have to do is go down to the dealer to get the cruise "turned on"?

Mark
Almost - you also need the disconnect switches for the brake and clutch (assuming a manual), then you're good to go.

BTW, this should help flatten your learning curve: OBD = On Board Diagnostics (OBDII on the Boxster), OBC = On Board Computer, DME = Digital Motor Electronics (ECU), PST2 = Porsche Systems Tester #2, PIWIS = Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (really just a proprietary version of Bosch KTS650), egas = Electromechanical throttle control - Drive-by-Wire - 2000MY+.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-05-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #10

When I started to look into this I was kinda hoping that I would find something like a retrofit or aftermarket kit that I could install or have installed. I appreciate all the advice, and I've done a ton more reading besides, but at this point I think it is beyond my abilities to pull this one off. I'm just not familiar enough with the car's systems yet to be able to figure out how to get it all working. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Thanks again for helping out,
Mark