986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Adding cruise control (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23514-adding-cruise-control.html)

Mark_T 01-30-2010 05:58 PM

Adding cruise control

I've got a '99 986 5-speed and I'd like to fit it with cruise control. My preference would be to retro-fit it with the original Porsche system. I'd probably have to have that done at a dealer and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has an idea of the cost. The other option would be some aftermarket unit but I haven't had much luck finding anything. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

tholyoak 01-31-2010 06:50 AM

You will need the switch cluster with the cruise stalk and the cruise control unit itself, also you will need the pedal switch. The control unit attaches to the gas pedal with a cable, that and the wiring from the switch to the control unit and the control unit to the car ( cluster, brake/clutch switch and OBD port) . The parts are fairly expensive new, ~$150 for the stalk cluster and ~$1000 for the control unit. I have a good control unit removed from my car when I did the engine swap that works just fine. If you are interested in it just send me and email or message through the board. I would sell it very cheap.

-Todd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I've got a '99 986 5-speed and I'd like to fit it with cruise control. My preference would be to retro-fit it with the original Porsche system. I'd probably have to have that done at a dealer and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has an idea of the cost. The other option would be some aftermarket unit but I haven't had much luck finding anything. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark_T 02-03-2010 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info - I've sent you a message.

Mark

ARModen 02-03-2010 06:47 PM

I'd check and make sure there isn't one already installed. I know I was reading on the renntech forums that some cars have everything they need except the stalk and to have the code enabled in the OBC. That might only apply to the OBC display though.

Lil bastard 02-03-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARModen
I'd check and make sure there isn't one already installed. I know I was reading on the renntech forums that some cars have everything they need except the stalk and to have the code enabled in the OBC. That might only apply to the OBC display though.

OBC only! Because it's just part of the software pkg. already in the DME - buy the stalk, wake up that section of the DME software and you're good to go.

The CC uses it's own bits of hardware which are not part of the standard car.

Cheers!

tholyoak 02-04-2010 05:58 AM

The 5.2.2 cars (2.5L) used an external cruise control device. In the 7.2 and 7.8 cars the DME and instrument cluster, respectively controlled the cruise. Thus in the 7.2 and 7.8 cars you can just add the stalk and wires to the DME or cluster and activate the cruise control with a PST2 or PIWIS. This is what is explained on renntech.

-Todd

Lil bastard 02-04-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tholyoak
The 5.2.2 cars (2.5L) used an external cruise control device. In the 7.2 and 7.8 cars the DME and instrument cluster, respectively controlled the cruise. Thus in the 7.2 and 7.8 cars you can just add the stalk and wires to the DME or cluster and activate the cruise control with a PST2 or PIWIS. This is what is explained on renntech.

-Todd

Agreed. Absolutely!

But the car in question is a '99 - 5.2.2 Motronic - it's the lack of egas which requires the extra bits.

Cheers!

Mark_T 02-05-2010 08:20 AM

OBD, OBC, DME, PST2, PIWIS, egas .... Fellas....I'm just a simple cableguy and this is all going right over my head. Plus, I've only had the car for a few months and I'm still at the steep end of the learning curve.

Let me see if I'm understanding this or not:

Because I have a '99 without egas I will need to get the control unit (kindly offered by Todd) and I will also need to acquire the cruise stalk for the steering column, but the wiring should already be in place (or not?). Does this mean that I if I get these two components they should plug right in to existing plugs/ports/wires and then all I would have to do is go down to the dealer to get the cruise "turned on"?

Mark

Lil bastard 02-05-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T
OBD, OBC, DME, PST2, PIWIS, egas .... Fellas....I'm just a simple cableguy and this is all going right over my head. Plus, I've only had the car for a few months and I'm still at the steep end of the learning curve.

Let me see if I'm understanding this or not:

Because I have a '99 without egas I will need to get the control unit (kindly offered by Todd) and I will also need to acquire the cruise stalk for the steering column, but the wiring should already be in place (or not?). Does this mean that I if I get these two components they should plug right in to existing plugs/ports/wires and then all I would have to do is go down to the dealer to get the cruise "turned on"?

Mark

Almost - you also need the disconnect switches for the brake and clutch (assuming a manual), then you're good to go.

BTW, this should help flatten your learning curve: OBD = On Board Diagnostics (OBDII on the Boxster), OBC = On Board Computer, DME = Digital Motor Electronics (ECU), PST2 = Porsche Systems Tester #2, PIWIS = Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (really just a proprietary version of Bosch KTS650), egas = Electromechanical throttle control - Drive-by-Wire - 2000MY+.

Cheers!

Mark_T 02-09-2010 02:01 PM

When I started to look into this I was kinda hoping that I would find something like a retrofit or aftermarket kit that I could install or have installed. I appreciate all the advice, and I've done a ton more reading besides, but at this point I think it is beyond my abilities to pull this one off. I'm just not familiar enough with the car's systems yet to be able to figure out how to get it all working. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Thanks again for helping out,
Mark