Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #1

Massive Leak comming from Tiptronic Transmisson

Hello all,

First of all let me apologise if there is currently a thread on here covering this topic. There is a google ad that blocks my ability to do searches. I try to get into the search box but it just takes me to other websites that the google ad is trying to sell.

I have a 2000 Boxter 2.7 with a tiptronic tranmission.

Background info: :ah:
Recently on my wife way to work she noticed her car smoking and pulled over immediatly and called the tow truck. When it got back to my garage I got it off the ground and started it up to find out where the leak was comming from. I had check the engine oil level and it appeared fine. I turned on the car for approx 30 seconds and could see a stream of oil comming from in between the engine and transmission. I thought it was enginer oil (I am embarassed to say that's how dark the trasmission fluid was ) but as it turns out i was tranny fluid. Nobefore I realised it was transmission fluid I tried to pulled it up on a trailer and then the tranny actuall started slipping and I could only get the front 2 tires on the trailer before I relised that it was a tranny problem. I am fairly sure that it would be the seal behind the torque converter, however in trying to pull it up onto the trailer and may have done bad thing to my tranny. I probably only ran it about 45 seconds in all but I could hear the pumps in the tranny cavatating in retrospec.

Question 1:
Do you think replacing the seal would fix the tranny?

Question 2:
Is there anyway to take the tranny apart once I get it out and determine if everthing in it is in good working order? (I am told by Porsche that they don't have any rebuild kits for it)

Question 3:
Will a tiptronic from the S model work with my car. I have the non S model.

Question 4:
Do you guys have good suggestions on where I could get a good used tranmission from trustworthy people?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #2

TIP Leak

I have never seen a front seal blow out and you loose oil that quickly. I believe the trans holds about 1.5 liters. Maybe the torque converter went. I would call RennTech people and ask. Also, check ebay for TIP's...if need a replacement you might find a good deal there. JB

Last edited by jcb986; 11-24-2009 at 08:33 AM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Hello all,

First of all let me apologise if there is currently a thread on here covering this topic. There is a google ad that blocks my ability to do searches. I try to get into the search box but it just takes me to other websites that the google ad is trying to sell.

I have a 2000 Boxter 2.7 with a tiptronic tranmission.

Background info: :ah:
Recently on my wife way to work she noticed her car smoking and pulled over immediatly and called the tow truck. When it got back to my garage I got it off the ground and started it up to find out where the leak was comming from. I had check the engine oil level and it appeared fine. I turned on the car for approx 30 seconds and could see a stream of oil comming from in between the engine and transmission. I thought it was enginer oil (I am embarassed to say that's how dark the trasmission fluid was ) but as it turns out i was tranny fluid. Nobefore I realised it was transmission fluid I tried to pulled it up on a trailer and then the tranny actuall started slipping and I could only get the front 2 tires on the trailer before I relised that it was a tranny problem. I am fairly sure that it would be the seal behind the torque converter, however in trying to pull it up onto the trailer and may have done bad thing to my tranny. I probably only ran it about 45 seconds in all but I could hear the pumps in the tranny cavatating in retrospec.

Question 1:
Do you think replacing the seal would fix the tranny?

Question 2:
Is there anyway to take the tranny apart once I get it out and determine if everthing in it is in good working order? (I am told by Porsche that they don't have any rebuild kits for it)

Question 3:
Will a tiptronic from the S model work with my car. I have the non S model.

Question 4:
Do you guys have good suggestions on where I could get a good used tranmission from trustworthy people?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Not to add addtional pain and expense; however, the trans most likely can be rebuilt (by someone that knows Tiptronics); and this would be an excellent time to do an IMS upgrade............
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #4

If the color of the tranny fluid is dark like engine oil, that tranny is probably fried. It should be redish.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
I have never seen a front seal blow out and you loose oil that quickly. I believe the trans holds about 1.5 liters. Maybe the torque converter went. I would call RennTech people and ask. Also, check ebay for TIP's...if need a replacement you might find a good deal there. JB

You really need to investigate. Not necessarily the front seal. Could be the tranny cooler, or valve.

The TipS tranny takes 9 ltrs. of tranny fluid (full refill).

For it to be dark as the lister describes, there's definitely some band material in it.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #6

I knew the dark fluid meant bad things. In fact it was so dark that I thought it was the rear main seal on the engine.

Thanks for the help. I'll give the Renn Tech people a call and find out my options from here.

I know that the dealership is not an option I got a quote from them and I would have to part the car out before paying that kind of money for the repair.

One more question.
Where can I get the special tools I need to do this myself. It seems that there are some pins I need to take off the torque converter and hold it in place. However, Porsche dealer does not sell them and I found the pins on line for a bunch of different porsches for like $600.00. It seems like a screwdriver could do this job from what I have seen in my manual but I don't want to damage anything any further.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #7

FYI Tool Info

Quote:
I knew the dark fluid meant bad things. In fact it was so dark that I thought it was the rear main seal on the engine.

Thanks for the help. I'll give the Renn Tech people a call and find out my options from here.

I know that the dealership is not an option I got a quote from them and I would have to part the car out before paying that kind of money for the repair.

One more question.
Where can I get the special tools I need to do this myself. It seems that there are some pins I need to take off the torque converter and hold it in place. However, Porsche dealer does not sell them and I found the pins on line for a bunch of different porsches for like $600.00. It seems like a screwdriver could do this job from what I have seen in my manual but I don't want to damage anything any further.

Thanks!
The basic tools you need (9595 & 9595/1) are available in a SIR Tool Kit P258 which you can purchase for about $40 at SkywayTool.com, their part number is 25759. Also need U-shaped coolant block-off hoses (unless you plan to drain coolant) and cross-engine top support unless you want to damage engine mounts.

Last edited by GoodJohnny; 12-24-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Also need tools...
GoodJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #8

I started the disassembly

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the help so far.

I got the tools I really thought I needed (the alignment pins and the tool to go into the starter location to remove the torque converter bolts) I will make an engine support brace my self and have some hose drain clamps already.

However, once I removed the starter and lined up the front pully to the correct hole and place my pin though the tranny I was surprised that there are no bolts to be seen though the flywheel like my manual siad there would be. See pictures below.

So my question is are there any bolts to rmove from the torque converter or does it come out with the tranmission and have a standard spline like connection to the engine?

If anyone has any information on pulling the tiptronic, I would be very greatful for any tips you can give me.

Thanks!!
Chris
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the help so far.

I got the tools I really thought I needed (the alignment pins and the tool to go into the starter location to remove the torque converter bolts) I will make an engine support brace my self and have some hose drain clamps already.

However, once I removed the starter and lined up the front pully to the correct hole and place my pin though the tranny I was surprised that there are no bolts to be seen though the flywheel like my manual siad there would be. See pictures below.

So my question is are there any bolts to rmove from the torque converter or does it come out with the tranmission and have a standard spline like connection to the engine?

If anyone has any information on pulling the tiptronic, I would be very greatful for any tips you can give me.

Thanks!!
Chris
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am about to be in this same situation (tomorrow) & would like to know if anyone has an answer to this last question.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #10

Where are the pictures...??..
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfrank38
Where are the pictures...??..
I guess the OP let his photo bucket account go and they got deleted.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote