View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Hello all,

First of all let me apologise if there is currently a thread on here covering this topic. There is a google ad that blocks my ability to do searches. I try to get into the search box but it just takes me to other websites that the google ad is trying to sell.

I have a 2000 Boxter 2.7 with a tiptronic tranmission.

Background info: :ah:
Recently on my wife way to work she noticed her car smoking and pulled over immediatly and called the tow truck. When it got back to my garage I got it off the ground and started it up to find out where the leak was comming from. I had check the engine oil level and it appeared fine. I turned on the car for approx 30 seconds and could see a stream of oil comming from in between the engine and transmission. I thought it was enginer oil (I am embarassed to say that's how dark the trasmission fluid was ) but as it turns out i was tranny fluid. Nobefore I realised it was transmission fluid I tried to pulled it up on a trailer and then the tranny actuall started slipping and I could only get the front 2 tires on the trailer before I relised that it was a tranny problem. I am fairly sure that it would be the seal behind the torque converter, however in trying to pull it up onto the trailer and may have done bad thing to my tranny. I probably only ran it about 45 seconds in all but I could hear the pumps in the tranny cavatating in retrospec.

Question 1:
Do you think replacing the seal would fix the tranny?

Question 2:
Is there anyway to take the tranny apart once I get it out and determine if everthing in it is in good working order? (I am told by Porsche that they don't have any rebuild kits for it)

Question 3:
Will a tiptronic from the S model work with my car. I have the non S model.

Question 4:
Do you guys have good suggestions on where I could get a good used tranmission from trustworthy people?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Not to add addtional pain and expense; however, the trans most likely can be rebuilt (by someone that knows Tiptronics); and this would be an excellent time to do an IMS upgrade............
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote