Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Techno Torque Dyno!!!!!!

These are real numbers. The test were done on my 3.4 swapped boxster. I have Turbowerx headers, Smuffler and a BMC filter. Cayman tranny too. The car baselined 238.6whp. I feel that this is a bit low for the 3.4 The a/f's were about a point too rich in my opinion and the tuner's aslso. ECU flash to come real soon.

YOU TUBE VIDEO BEFORE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7Gx2lQkLw
AFTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQfdFVcLaB0

I will post up the dyno curves in a little while. I have to scan them in.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #2

This first graph shows the red being the base pull. Notice that the horsepower stays higher up until about 4800rpm and then comes back at around 5700rpm. BUT then holds higher than the blue pull being the techno torque. So initially the the Techno Torque has increased the whp by about 10hp for about 1000rpms but then takes power in a few other places. If you look at the torque curve, the higher up curve. The same thing in the same spots. So the claims are true. It makes some power/torque. But so far it takes away some too. These pulls were done back to back with no adaptives/time to learn. I will go back for two more pulls after I get enough in my paypal to do so. Then we will see if this product is for ME. The second map shows the air/fuel ratios on the bottom. It is too rich for my taste. Notice the crazy difference from the first pull to the techno torque pull. This is because for this pass we reset the ecu. All the other a/f ratios on the other pulls with and with out the techno torque were the same as the Red a/f graph. The blue was just us resetting the ecu to see if it would make a difference.
I know the tuner can't spell boxster.... LOL
Please send a bit more for my next dyno pull. It is only 100 dollars to get the next pulls done and Yes I can provide the receipt. I am up to 30 dollars so far. If you feel this benefits you your donations are definatley appreciated.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

could these results be because it, at first shapes the air for better flow, but in the end, at wide open throttle, the fact that it comsumes space and lowers the effective volume of air that can go through shows up?

If you look at other factory versions of this, the intake tubes make a better flow of air, without taking away from tidial volume.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #4

same dyno I used for my exhaust mods. I would think you should be much higher than that with a 3.4 swap. You will probably feel a noticeable difference when the ecu corrects, if it plays out the way my exhaust install did. after a few days my car completely changed in feel and sound. (for the better 246 whp). Good luck
I also need to do the ecu tuning thing
Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #5

My air fuels are way too rich. I dont know what is up with that. I have the correct maf and my o2 sensors are good. I dont know what else. I need to change the spark plugs, there still the ones that I got the motor with. I probably should clean my air filter also. I am going to look into all that stuff tomorrow. Do you have a dyno graph for your 246?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Air leak from swapping the parts out?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
My air fuels are way too rich. I dont know what is up with that. I have the correct maf and my o2 sensors are good. I dont know what else. I need to change the spark plugs, there still the ones that I got the motor with. I probably should clean my air filter also. I am going to look into all that stuff tomorrow. Do you have a dyno graph for your 246?
yeah, post 87 http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=191477#post191477

oh, and I did change my plugs and gap them as well. I went ahead and tried these: http://www.pulstar.com/technology.htm

you should check out your plugs. might be an issue
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 AM   #8

I have no air leaks. The car wouldn't idle correct if I did. It could be a few things. Small diameter cats designed for a 2.5. Gotta clean my air filter and change my plugs. I'll start there. Dynos are not good for measuring but good for before and after which is what we are doing here.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
I have no air leaks. The car wouldn't idle correct if I did. It could be a few things. Small diameter cats designed for a 2.5. Gotta clean my air filter and change my plugs. I'll start there. Dynos are not good for measuring but good for before and after which is what we are doing here.
My old 99' had a minor air leak after I cleaned the throttle body and it idled fine and took 500+ miles to set it off.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Probably another 30 hp left on the table from these curves. Get your exhaust breathing right for a 3.4L, remap A/F ratios and she will start singing.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #11

That is what I am thinking.. I am doing a basic tune up today. Clean the filter change the plugs. It is all in the mapping though. I am down in the mid 11's most of the chart and even down to 10.5 when it switches to high cam. I am going to talk to fvd later on maybe and see what there input is. I was looking at other 996 3.4 graphs and many of them make about 245 at the wheels. So I am not far from that and each dyno is different. I still have to go back for 2 more pulls just to see if the techno torque has actually synced up with the computer or not. Stay tuned. I do agree though that the reflash should be the next step.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #12

Jaay, I've seen very similar A/F curves for the Pontiac GTO. I just bought one and have been looking at a lot of dyno curves. With the GTO it's mapped to be very rich 10.5 to 11.0 throughout the rev band. Tuners then make a lot of money by just re-mapping the A/F ratio and giving the car 20 HP. Why does Pontiac do this though? Very simple - a rich mix is less prone to detonation, it's safer for the engine. My guess is that Porsche tunes their cars in a similar manner. An ECU reflash then would resolve this.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #13

Yup.. trying to get in touch with rhonda over at fvd now..
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

Re-Dyno fund is up to $40

Thanks
60 more to go.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Yup.. trying to get in touch with rhonda over at fvd now..
Jay, you may want to get in touch with these folks. They offer ECU tuning for cheaper than many of the other companies. No affiliation. They have dealers that can do it for you locally too.

I think this is the program you need for your 3.4L: http://www.upsolute.com/index.php?option=com_upsolute&task=car&id=282&id_marke=18&id_model=75

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #16

Interesting results. It added a bit of hp/tq in the mid range then took away some up high. I hope the learned ECU results are more promising. Jay, keep up the good work. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you control the variable and do another set of runs with and without the techno torque being the only change. I'm sure you already know about isolating variables and will do so, but it's worth mentioning.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #17

YUP YUP... just waiting on some more funding.. We are up to 40 dollars. Only 60 more to go. If you want the after learned curve. PM me for my paypal. Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #18

I guess I don't understand your graphs or explanations.

You say that the first graph is a comparison of before/after techo-torque install with no other changes.

Then, the 2nd graph is before/after an ECU reset (disconnect battery).

But, the hp vs rpm curves of first and second graphs are absolutely identical, which indicates that the two graphs are showing the same set of runs.

So something seems wrong - either in the graphs that were posted, or in your explanation of those graphs.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Jaay, I've seen very similar A/F curves for the Pontiac GTO. I just bought one and have been looking at a lot of dyno curves. With the GTO it's mapped to be very rich 10.5 to 11.0 throughout the rev band. Tuners then make a lot of money by just re-mapping the A/F ratio and giving the car 20 HP. Why does Pontiac do this though? Very simple - a rich mix is less prone to detonation, it's safer for the engine. My guess is that Porsche tunes their cars in a similar manner. An ECU reflash then would resolve this.

Kirk

I had to laugh when I read your post Kirk. I'm on my second GTO (first one got totalled by a 16 year old who had his license all of 4 days, he pulled out in front of me 2 years back) and got dang near exactly 20 hp from A/F adjustments alone. Now I know why it popped so much on second gear deceleration. VERY stout cars, got over 100k w/o issues from my first one and just turned over that in my newer one.....

Please keep us posted Jaay, I'm curious of the results.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #20

Sorry if I did not explain good enough. Yes the hp/tq are the same. The difference in the runs were so minimal that I put them up like this. The only big difference was the a/fs after the ecu reset. I put up that graph to show the base line air fuels. They also were pretty much identical with and without the techno torque. I hope this clears things up for you.