Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #21
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
That is a really great offer!!! I wish I could take you up on it in 2K3_Boxster_S's place, but my car only has 19k miles on it with a good service history so I'm probably not the best candidate.

I am saving up for the 3.2 -->3.6 upgrade you do though. We might have to discuss doing a full before->during->after DVD for it if you are willing even if I have to pay a little extra for it for my own personal collection.
Even at 19K I'd bet you have at least a few lifters that have the same condition.. There is NOTHING worse than these engines sitting idle for the lifters and this condition.

The engine thats in my personal test car had 28,000 when it was installed.. I put 2K more on it then used it to test my MKII camshafts, at which time I pulled the lifters to install my new springs that were designed with the camshafts... I had 11 bad lifters in that engine at 30K.

Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #22

I have 2 yrs. 10 month's and about 34,000 miles left on my extended warranty. Fidelis Plantinum. If the engine explodes into a cloud of dust tommorow. I pay $0 labor and $0 for parts while the engine is replaced. So that would be less than what you are offering. Plus I believe that would probably void the warranty. no thanks.

Living in a dream world with rose colored glasses...

My '02 has 15k miles and so far I have installed the billet filter adapter/filter, drain plug and low temp t-stat. If I had the extra cash (too many college bills) I'd have the IMS bearing updated, just to be certain. I don't use Mobil1 0W40 and change my oil once a year or every 2500 to 3000 miles. When I drive the car, it is always for extended periods, making sure to get everything good and hot.

I, too, would be interested to hear of preventitive measures to ensure lifters do not stick. Wouldn't this be a result of extended oil change intervals?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 08-06-2009 at 05:40 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #23
Engine Surgeon

Here is James' IMS bearing.. It was a single row bearing.

I'll post more later.. I need to go finish the engine work on his car and get it dynoed today.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Don't scare people. The IMS issue is mainly with 3.2L(and non-gt3 or Turbo'd 996) engines,not the base models...
Sadly, my neighbor would disagree. Her 04 base car imploded at 12K miles on the clock. IMS and the engine never stood a chance.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #25

Here's the thing:

My Lexus V6 has 133K on the clock and is bulletproof. Sounds and runs like new.

My cousin's Lexus V8 has 315K on the clock. No leaks, no repairs on engine, no RMS leak after 17 yrs of driving.

I guess I am puzzled why lifters stick at 60K.

Anyone else puzzled?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #26

I dont want anyone to think I am trying to scare the boxster community. My whole point of this post is to let people know what may be happening in their cars.

I am the normal boxster owner...I dont track, it is my daily driver, I love to rev it up on the twisties and a long strait road screams for a 0-100 test drive.

I change the oil and care for the care like a baby. Aside from a little hesitation on cold start up, I thought it drove fine. Unknown to me I had all of these things wrong with the car.

Tappets are one thing, but read here about chain tentioners...http://www.lnengineering.com/chaintensioner.html
and we all know about the IMS.
I was all confident about letting it blow its self up and replaceing the whole motor until I heard about the aftermarket companies not replacing the motors due to fine print reasons. Then I read my contract. Pretty scarry if read with a critical eye.
That is why I sent it there to be fixed before it became a paper weight.

As far as costs go, I am hopeful that the warrenty company will pick up the bill, so I am out 200$. So for those without warrenty, I suggest you call Mr. Raby and inquire about prices.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If these lifters are such an issue and are going at such a low mileage how are there a handful of people with near 200k on their boxster on ppbb? One dude on there even has 225k on the original engine!

(not starting an argument just wondering)
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If these lifters are such an issue and are going at such a low mileage how are there a handful of people with near 200k on their boxster on ppbb? One dude on there even has 225k on the original engine!

(not starting an argument just wondering)
I wonder the same thing though I'm starting to think the really high mileage M96 motors with no issues are more of the exception than the rule? I think there's enough enough evidence out there that the M96 motors are more prone to some of these issues that we would all say is ideal. There has to be a percentage of them out there that don't have any issues though wouldn't there?

I have a friend that blew up his Lexus IS350 motor earlier this summer with only 25,000 miles on it. Lexus was so shocked they shipped the motor off to Japan for autopsy......it certainly seemed to be the exception for one of their motors which normally will run 200/300k+ miles without issue if well taken care of. It does happen though.

Sadly it seems like the M96 cars are on the wrong side of the exceptions right now.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy

As far as costs go, I am hopeful that the warrenty company will pick up the bill, so I am out 200$. So for those without warrenty, I suggest you call Mr. Raby and inquire about prices.
Do you think the warranty company will deny your claim because you are "upgrading" the engine with Raby components and not Porsche replacements? And technically nothing failed, it was more like preventative maintence? Keep us posted.

Last edited by Adam; 08-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
If you think that they will replace your motor if it goes, I have a bridge to sell you. They will get out of it somehow.
I am courious, has anyone had a porsche motor replaced by a warrenty company?
US fidelis does not have a good reputation to begin with, look them up on BBB or just google it.
The easiest way to get out of it is to have you produce oil chages reports, or when they download the DME and see that you may have redlined your motor once or twice. That would constitute abuse and that makes everything not covered.
Sorry it's not fidelis. It's Fidelity Warranty Services. The extended warranty service that Porsche dealership sells. It's been used already no questions asked. AC blower motor and re-charge, they had the car for a week. I was given a rental car and I paid $0. Yes they will pay for the engine and any power train, transmission, suspension, etc. or a lawyer will be involved. the only thing they will not cover is normal wear items brake pads and no Clutch parts. It's not a $5,000 warranty for no reason.
http://www.jacksonville.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=4781
yes, you are right about US fidelis. they are a scam.

Last edited by 2K3_Boxster_S; 08-06-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: info
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #31
Engine Surgeon

As far as the IMS bearing goes:
Well Porsche will not sell you an IMS bearing, it is not in the parts system.. Thgere is no Porsche part to use as a replacement.

An engine can go 225,000 miles with all 24 lifters bad... You'll have loud valve train, but it'll go that far without catastrophe.. BUT you'll be losing .040" valve lift, which is about 10% of the net valve lift of the engine.. That makes for low power, etc, etc...

Its your choice- deny the issues exist and refuse to do a few preventives or listen to what experience has taught us and solve simple issues while they are simple..

BTW- this is a a lot like Breast Cancer or Prostate Cancer... You can feel fine and be dead in a matter of months... If caught early it can be treated..

James was wise... His engine had a terminal illness and was cured with intervention that Porsche didn't develop and said could not be done!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Here's the thing:

My Lexus V6 has 133K on the clock and is bulletproof. Sounds and runs like new.

My cousin's Lexus V8 has 315K on the clock. No leaks, no repairs on engine, no RMS leak after 17 yrs of driving.

I guess I am puzzled why lifters stick at 60K.

Anyone else puzzled?

That's why my daily commuter is my beloved Lexus.

I just laugh it out (big time) everytime i read/hear that Porsche is ahead of Lexus/Toyota on any satisfaction, quality survey
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Jake Raby]

BTW- this is a a lot like Breast Cancer or Prostate Cancer... You can feel fine and be dead in a matter of months... [QUOTE]

Sounds familiar.....
This statement reminds me of Insurance agents selling catastrophic life insurance to some of my patients.

Last edited by spine911; 08-06-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
As far as the IMS bearing goes:
An engine can go 225,000 miles with all 24 lifters bad... You'll have loud valve train, but it'll go that far without catastrophe.. BUT you'll be losing .040" valve lift, which is about 10% of the net valve lift of the engine.. That makes for low power, etc, etc...
What test can be done or what do I tell my mechanic to find out if I have bad lifters?
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #35

Maybe I am ignorant or a bit touched, but I knew what I was buying when I bought my 986. I paid significantly less for my car than my wife paid for her Jeep Liberty. I have had it a tad over a year and put about 9,000 miles on it (74,000 on the clock). The honeymoon is not over. The only repairs I have put into it other than routine Maintenance is to replace the A/C display and a brake light switch.

If it implodes tomorrow or 4 years from now I would probably buy another. What is it they say about insanity, "It's doing the same thing and expecting different results."

If that is the case, I am crazy about my 986. :dance:
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdacat
Maybe I am ignorant or a bit touched, but I knew what I was buying when I bought my 986. I paid significantly less for my car than my wife paid for her Jeep Liberty. I have had it a tad over a year and put about 9,000 miles on it (74,000 on the clock). The honeymoon is not over. The only repairs I have put into it other than routine Maintenance is to replace the A/C display and a brake light switch.

If it implodes tomorrow or 4 years from now I would probably buy another. What is it they say about insanity, "It's doing the same thing and expecting different results."If that is the case, I am crazy about my 986.

I feel pretty much the same way. I got my boxster at a fire sale price. I always said if I end up liking it(which I do/did) then if the engine goes kaboom, I might think about dropping in a 3.4 or even a 3.8.

After chatting with an "expert" on the IMS subject, I am trying to weigh the cost of Preventive maintenance and engine replacement. The Ims is about 12.4% to 25% of an engine replacement(depending on what size I get). Here is the sick part. to do the lifters,clutch rebuild and ims/rms its 47% of what I paid for my Boxster two months ago. I have the upmost confidence in the "expert" but that is a lot of money to ponder, especially in this economy(couldn't resist blaming it) .

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #37

for Jake

Jake,
What are some normal price ranges for upgrading the IMS and a few lifters etc. Are we talking $500 or $5,000?

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdefino
What test can be done or what do I tell my mechanic to find out if I have bad lifters?
Your mechanic should have a trained ear to recognize the tappet noises... A dyno run will show if the engine is low power, but you'll need other graphs from similar cars to know what is actually low power..

The only way to know is to pull the lifters and inspect them...

I know the main contributor to this issue, but will not post it, because it would start WWIII...
Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby

I know the main contributor to this issue, but will not post it, because it would start WWIII...

LOL ....NOT ANOTHER teaser from you - i smelled that coming......
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #40
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
LOL ....NOT ANOTHER teaser from you - i smelled that coming......
See, I get in trouble even if I keep my mouth shut..
Open the rear trunk of your Boxster and the issue is staring you right in the face.