Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
anyone intalled NHP full exhaust???

Has anyone done this install???

Will be installing the following NHP full exhaust. slightly different from pics. I will be running: Headers with Sport Cats, ByPass Mid pipes, and the Muffler.




I am considering GIAC chip tuned for this setup?? anybody? agree, disagree?

thanks

__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,689
Garage
I have not but others here have done similar installs. If it were my car I would get a custom reflash with a dyno or a rolling tune and shoot for a big fat torque curve rather than peak hp. We buy hp but we win races with torque. More effective than off the shelf "chip" reflashes.

Some pitfalls others have faced with aftermarket header/cat/exhaust so just a friendly heads up:

Serious droning resonance at 3k rpm
Continuous CEL issues.
Cannot pass state smog inspections (not street legal)
Headers made contact with nearby PS lines, car caught fire and burned to the ground (yes, several Boxsters have gone car-b-que after installing headers)

Pay attention to the details.
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colchester, CT
Posts: 489
Yes you must tie back the power steering lines or else you will have issues. I lucked out and it happened in a driveway when someone who had a hose happened to be standing right there when the fire started. No damage other than a messy engine from the fluid and a burst PS hose.
Chris
__________________
1999 986 2.5L, Stock Exhaust (S muffler), EVO Intake, 18" Stock rims (17" during winter), IMS Upgrade, 150k+ miles and counting!
87 944S brought back to life
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
He's not going to have CEL since there's 4 cats shown in the pic. As long as the O2 sensors are plugged in then it'll be fine.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
He's not going to have CEL since there's 4 cats shown in the pic. As long as the O2 sensors are plugged in then it'll be fine.
yes I will be running the front and rear O2's, although the front CAT's will be 200 cell cats (much less restrictive) than a factory 600 to 800 cell CAT. and that can but rarely cause a CEL.

not to worried about the CEL even if it does it will be fixed when the car is tuned.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Yes you must tie back the power steering lines or else you will have issues. I lucked out and it happened in a driveway when someone who had a hose happened to be standing right there when the fire started. No damage other than a messy engine from the fluid and a burst PS hose.
Chris
Very much thanks for that information, I will definetely make sure the PS hoses are out the the way . That would not be good. Also was this on 3.2 or 2.5 or are the hoses identical on a both???????
__________________
2003 Boxster S

Last edited by 2K3_Boxster_S; 06-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
I have not but others here have done similar installs. If it were my car I would get a custom reflash with a dyno or a rolling tune and shoot for a big fat torque curve rather than peak hp. We buy hp but we win races with torque. More effective than off the shelf "chip" reflashes.

Some pitfalls others have faced with aftermarket header/cat/exhaust so just a friendly heads up:

Serious droning resonance at 3k rpm
Continuous CEL issues.
Cannot pass state smog inspections (not street legal)
Headers made contact with nearby PS lines, car caught fire and burned to the ground (yes, several Boxsters have gone car-b-que after installing headers)

Pay attention to the details.
Thanks I will see If I can get that torque curve up. It definetely feels like it needs more torque especially at lower rpms.

Also, it is a street legal setup where I live. there are no smog inspections and I am still run CATS.

Thanks everyone for the help.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Personally, I wouldn't sink any money into an exhaust until we get more info from Jake Raby.

Jake has intimated that only a couple of the aftermarket setups actually outperform the OEM gear and that most actually underperform OEM.

__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Personally, I wouldn't sink any money into an exhaust until we get more info from Jake Raby.

Jake has intimated that only a couple of the aftermarket setups actually outperform the OEM gear and that most actually underperform OEM.

I understand what you are saying. after market support for the boxster's is fairly new. NHP is providing dyno sheets with each part. And the OEM exhaust seems very restrictive 1 1/2 inch exhaust inlets?????? I just can't imagine how going to a equal length merge header and from 42mm to 50mm overall piping, removing 4 restrictive CATS is not going to out perform OEM. I can't believe that's possible.
wish I could do a pre and post dyno on this install but I'm afraid I will only be able to do a post dyno. Let you know in a few weeks when I return home. Also the muffler is straight through no baffles.

__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,425
I continue to gather data... But it's not looking like I'll end up sharing the info publicly.

I'd most certainly end up in court if I did so, the results are that bad in some instances.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I continue to gather data... But it's not looking like I'll end up sharing the info publicly.

I'd most certainly end up in court if I did so, the results are that bad in some instances.

so in other word spending any money of aftermarket exhaust is not worth it ?
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 145
I have the full system on my 2.9L. Looks nice, sounds good. Made a difference on my 2.9 over a stock system, but my engine is far from stock. My biggest complaint is that the tube diameter is wrong for using the factory U pieces that you have to use in the install, so it's pretty much impossible to not have exhaust leaks.
__________________
Charles Navarro
President, LN Engineering and Bilt Racing Service
http://www.LNengineering.com
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
I have the full system on my 2.9L. Looks nice, sounds good. Made a difference on my 2.9 over a stock system, but my engine is far from stock. My biggest complaint is that the tube diameter is wrong for using the factory U pieces that you have to use in the install, so it's pretty much impossible to not have exhaust leaks.
so you have NHP Full exhaust installed on your 2.9L and you are saying that it does not bolt up perfectly? If so then, my whole set will be getting returned.

Also specify exact set-up if you have NHP.

example: Headers with sport cats, mid pipes with or without cats, and exhaust.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I continue to gather data... But it's not looking like I'll end up sharing the info publicly.

I'd most certainly end up in court if I did so, the results are that bad in some instances.
Court??? what?? ever heard of the 1st? if you want to claim upgrading headers and exhaust is worthless and can't post data that you have then your opinions and claims are worthless.

If you have installed NHP headers and dyno'd a 3.2L then post the results:

EX: Maxspeed Dyno Sheet suggest's 8hp 4LBS change


Exhaust and headers on any other car would yeild gains in HP and or torque, just curious why it would be the opposite for a Boxster?
__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I continue to gather data... But it's not looking like I'll end up sharing the info publicly.

I'd most certainly end up in court if I did so, the results are that bad in some instances.

Well you could avoid any litigation possibility by merely reporting those systems with positive gains.

You certainly could not be sued by a company for not mentionining them at all or for not saying anything negative about their products.

__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,425
You'd have to be in my position to understand the flack that gets started when a discovery is made and shared.. Gathering the data scientifically without variables being imposed is hard enough, dealing with the people after it happens is unbearable.

Lets just say if you like to sound like you are going faster than you really are, then you'll love most of the after market systems.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Well you could avoid any litigation possibility by merely reporting those systems with positive gains.

You certainly could not be sued by a company for not mentionining them at all or for not saying anything negative about their products.

I think everyone is missing an important point: Jake and Charles are owners of two businesses that specialize in providing upgrades and replacement components for Porsches. As such, they could potentially be held to a different standard in a lawsuit as “the market” considers them “subject matter experts.” Therefore, their “opinions” carry a lot more weight than that of an average enthusiast that publishes their like or dislike for a particular component, regardless of how the data was collected. As a business owner myself; I can fully appreciate their reluctance to state their knowledge on some subjects as the facts as they understand them can still end up costing a whole lot of cash to defend when you piss someone off…………….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
You'd have to be in my position to understand the flack that gets started when a discovery is made and shared.. Gathering the data scientifically without variables being imposed is hard enough, dealing with the people after it happens is unbearable.

Lets just say if you like to sound like you are going faster than you really are, then you'll love most of the after market systems.
Don't you just love all the marketing hype on the street.....................
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
You'd have to be in my position to understand the flack that gets started when a discovery is made and shared.. Gathering the data scientifically without variables being imposed is hard enough, dealing with the people after it happens is unbearable.

Lets just say if you like to sound like you are going faster than you really are, then you'll love most of the after market systems.
Don't worry I completely understand now, didn't realize your are a salesman.
scared of losing business to competitors.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
Don't worry I completely understand now, didn't realize your are a salesman.
scared of losing business to competitors.

Way to go...............why not insult one of the most respected independent Porsche engine builders in the country.......................Jeez

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page