Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #1

??????How come no one has posted here before?

How come no one has posted here before? Surely there must be some kind of peformance upgrades for these cars. I have just brought an R reg 2.5 manual Boxster and it needs a little more power. Any ideas what can be done to these to make them any quicker, maybe a turbo conversion?? Any advice would be greatly received. Cheers

cc300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #2

not sure why you would say that....there are many many posts about upgrades. On this board I probably have one of the most converted 986's feel free to look at www.09860.com for a few pics if you havent already seen mine around.

Yes there are Turbo kits for the boxster, but unless you plan to make an engine upgrade you would probably see your best gains getting a supercharger(cheaper too)about 5 k for supercharger and about 15-20k for twin turbos(noone does a single turbo kit for these cars as of yet)....check out http://www.turboperformance.com/ . Last i knew though about these superchargers, spoke to guys on phone, this supercharger is only good on a stock platform. If you have performed any upgrades to the engine or exhaust then that package is not for you.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 AM   #3

Talking

Yes, there are many upgrades for the Box that are performance oriented. This will never be a stop light champ but can be made to fly around the corners pretty well.

Welcome to the Board!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #4

Actually Bruce..the 986 can become a stop light king....The twin turbo kit produces a ton of power. I have driven in 2 of them so far...thats why I am hoping to do my car one of these days. I have seen the twin turbo dust a heavily modified EVO multiple times. The TTP twin turbo kit adds over 125 HP to the car. on a 3.2 with the twin turbos you are looking at 0-60 mph in 4.8-5.4 seconds depending whether it is stick or tipronic. That is very fast in my book! And by my standards definatly the potential to dust 99% of the cars on the road
feel free to check out www.t-t-p.de
Old 02-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Real Performance Products??? try this conversation, some good advice there too.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #6

I should have qualified my answer as I was not thinking anything as over the top as a TT addition. More I was thinking chips, intake, exhaust etc.

How much does the TT cost to add to the 986? The S is actually pretty quick to 60 so I can see how you can get under 5 with the TT.

Good stuff! :dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmillr
Actually Bruce..the 986 can become a stop light king....The twin turbo kit produces a ton of power. I have driven in 2 of them so far...thats why I am hoping to do my car one of these days. I have seen the twin turbo dust a heavily modified EVO multiple times. The TTP twin turbo kit adds over 125 HP to the car. on a 3.2 with the twin turbos you are looking at 0-60 mph in 4.8-5.4 seconds depending whether it is stick or tipronic. That is very fast in my book! And by my standards definatly the potential to dust 99% of the cars on the road
feel free to check out www.t-t-p.de
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
...I have seen the twin turbo dust a heavily modified EVO multiple times. ...[/url]
I assume you're referring to the Mitsubishi Evo? It must've been modified badly. There's no way a TT Boxster can outrun a properly heavily modified Evo. I had the Evo V myself couple of years back. By changing the cams, exhaust system (manifold, muffler, cats), intake, fully programmable ECU and boost controller, I was already putting out 280bhp at the wheels. That's 400bhp at the flywheel assuming a 30% drivetrain lose for a 4WD system! My 0-62 was already sub 5! Of course, the usual 1.2t race clutch/pressure plate upgrade was done to sustain the increase in power.

I wouldn't even considered my Evo to be heavily modified compared to the ones locally. There's the 2.2l engine upgrade kit that comes with forged crank, pistons, the works. Once that goes in with the proper EMS (Motec, Autronic, Apexi Power FC), it'll already be in 996 TT territory or even beyond.

Then again, I'm told that Evos in US are somewhat different (detuned) from the ones the rest of the world gets. Because of emission regulations. However, the car should be able to be brought back to 'normal' with some proper tuning.

So never ever think you could outrun an Evo in a Boxster. Chances are you'll be smoked by one. It's better to just let them pass and avoid the embarressment. Because when you're driving a Boxster, it's not just about speed anymore
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:16 AM   #8

Well I felt compelled to respond since I have seen the 986 TT eat up the EVO VIII and several other cars. The TT boxster (boared to 3.4) when properly tuned gives 450-500 hp. You might think there is no way, but when you have seen these two cars on the line on a quater mile track its interesting to see the EVO hang around 12(trap times about 105) seconds on the 1/4 mile and the TT boxster was pulling 10.5-11 seconds(trap times give or take 115).

Both cars had very experienced racers behind the wheel. The runs were done multiple times for accuracy.
Its funny because your response is the same response the EVO guy made after a run or two...he said, "...there is no way!" Thats what he said after two runs. And after about 6 he gave up and swallowed his pride and then watched the TT boxster walk a 996 TT (more or less stock)
Maybe you should take a look at www.t-t-p.de or www.gemballa.com
You can get a look at some more info from these sites...
LoL...your comments soud like the guy that owned the EVO...Well put me in a modified TT 986 and anytime I will line up with an EVO...and watch the silly look on his face as hes pounding the steering wheel in disbeleif after throwing your hazards(confirming the kill) on when you are 50-100 ft in front of hima 1/4 mile later...

Last edited by jfmillr; 02-09-2005 at 04:20 AM.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:20 AM   #9

Talking

Irrespective of what car is actually faster, the problem with the Evo is that, in all seriousness, it might be up there with a AMC Pacer as the ugliest car I have ever seen.

The Box on the other hand, is as pretty a car as the world has ever seen.

All this is subjective and my opinion, but come on, who wants to drive a car that looks like a shoe box gone bad?

Now, take that as a mild jab at the car, not you please!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:36 AM   #10

I agree....at the end of the day regardless to which ones faster and what mods have been done to either of the car , the boxster is a hot car fast or slow. THe EVO is made to be fast. Really its only asset. As for looks it looks like a brick with a slanted nose
Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Irrespective of what car is actually faster, the problem with the Evo is that, in all seriousness, it might be up there with a AMC Pacer as the ugliest car I have ever seen.
It's a rally car. How many rally cars have you seen that you can consider pretty? It is fierce looking though and is an ideal boy racer car for the money. Am sure the US is just flooded with them after Mitsubishi decided to address the US market from the VIII onwards.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
...TT boxster was pulling 10.5-11 seconds(trap times give or take 115).
Wow! Those are very good times for a Boxster! BUT.... my friend's Evo just pulled a couple of sub 10s in a recent drag event It was VERY heavily modified though... He didn't share with me his bhp readings but I'm guessing about 550-600. A stock Evo is supposed to be pulling about 13, at least for the cars we get over here.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:06 AM   #13

Aesthetics. I just find the car appalling to look at. I don't even like to have one on the read next to me.

It is all fine. People buy what they want to buy. It is good.

Of course, in CA, these are cars that go off the Freeway at 110MPH every night. Seems the boys can't wait to race at the track, they do it in the streets.

Dead is dead I guess.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

The Audi Quattro wasn't nearly as ugly as the EVO, and the WRX STI, aside from a certain blandness, possesses it's own appeal. Not only is the EVO f'ugly, but it looks cheap and flimsy to boot.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #15

Thumbs up

Audi makes some very sophisiticated shapes, proving that the boxy look is not necessary even in the rally world.

Good point!