Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

2.7L engine swap question

I have a 2000 2.7L 5 speed.

My car has 75k. Porsche put a new motor in at about 15k, so the engine has 60k on it.

if/when my motor goes out - or if it just get boring and I want more power but don't want to fork over the dough to buy a new car ....

what is the best "bang for the buck" engine swap/upgrade for a car like mine?

would it be cheaper to do the Raby 2.9 big bore motor OR to just drop in a 3.4L motor?

I'd be looking for the cheapest route to bigger power.

ALSO - and this is a BIG issue - I live in California. We have very restrictive emissions laws. I really don't know what happens in CA if I were to do either of these mods. is a 3.4L going to flunk the sniffer portions because it's a bigger motor and will therefore be out of "specs" for a 2.7L or can I just tell them that it's now a 3.4L and get smogged as if it were a 911? or do I just flat out FAIL the visual once they figure out I have a 3.4L motor in the car?

being in CA is a PITA - sometimes I wonder if it would just be flat out easier and less hassle to just save up the dough I will eventually spend for a motor swap and as long as my car is still in good shape - sell it, pocket the money,a nd then add the "motor fund money" and just get a newer 987 with a bigger motor and maybe a warranty...

I guess a big factor in all of this is how cheap can a guy get a 3.4L swapped in? if it's going to cost me $15k by the time it's all done - i could sell my ca rnow for about $10k easy - and then go look for a $25k 987 or 987S.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #2

Don't offer any extra information - they won't notice it's different in either case, whether it's a 2.9 or you put in a 3.4.

That said, the 3.4 route, unless it's a very late model one, isn't a good idea, with how 3.4's drop like flys. Building a larger engine off your 2.7 will let you incorporate all the fixes we do for Flat 6 Innovations, and should be able to make as much power as a factory 3.2 easily and maybe even a 3.4 with some of the additional work Flat 6 is developing.

We in the process of building a 2.9 for my Boxster and I'll have it at Hershey this year for all to see - and I'll be able to answer any and all questions people have about all the R&D we've been doing jointly.

Given the adapability of the motronic to changes and the parameters it's designed to maintain in operation, I don't see why the engine would not pass smog, as long as it looks blatantly stock (i.e. catalytic converters are still there, etc) and there are no CELs.

Regardless of what you do, it will cost roughly the same and just plan on keeping the car if you plan on sinking any more money into it. These are wonderful cars and worth the effort to fix and keep!
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution

Last edited by cnavarro; 02-22-2009 at 12:47 PM.
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Engine Surgeon

My 2.9 would look exactly like the 2.7 on the outside and would pass any visual.. Thats because you will get ALL your external parts back on the engine when we complete it as a 2.9.

The 3.4 looks different, the intake is vastly different than any Boxster engine.. Not to say that they'd even look at the engine, or be smart enough to tell, BUT its something to consider.

I can create a 2.9 with stock cams, built for torque. This engine would retain all the characteristics necessary to successfully pass a smog test, but I never guarantee that.. I just won't make any blanket statements on a topic with so many variables... One thing is for sure... IF you offer up the info that the car isn't 100% bone stock- it WILL immediately fail!

As for what you should do.. Well, those who buy my engines have no desire to sell their vehicle... They love it the car for what it is and want to strengthen the only real "weak" part of it...

I'd be happy to discuss possibilities with you should you become more interested.

Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote