View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
23109VC

2.7L engine swap question

I have a 2000 2.7L 5 speed.

My car has 75k. Porsche put a new motor in at about 15k, so the engine has 60k on it.

if/when my motor goes out - or if it just get boring and I want more power but don't want to fork over the dough to buy a new car ....

what is the best "bang for the buck" engine swap/upgrade for a car like mine?

would it be cheaper to do the Raby 2.9 big bore motor OR to just drop in a 3.4L motor?

I'd be looking for the cheapest route to bigger power.

ALSO - and this is a BIG issue - I live in California. We have very restrictive emissions laws. I really don't know what happens in CA if I were to do either of these mods. is a 3.4L going to flunk the sniffer portions because it's a bigger motor and will therefore be out of "specs" for a 2.7L or can I just tell them that it's now a 3.4L and get smogged as if it were a 911? or do I just flat out FAIL the visual once they figure out I have a 3.4L motor in the car?

being in CA is a PITA - sometimes I wonder if it would just be flat out easier and less hassle to just save up the dough I will eventually spend for a motor swap and as long as my car is still in good shape - sell it, pocket the money,a nd then add the "motor fund money" and just get a newer 987 with a bigger motor and maybe a warranty...

I guess a big factor in all of this is how cheap can a guy get a 3.4L swapped in? if it's going to cost me $15k by the time it's all done - i could sell my ca rnow for about $10k easy - and then go look for a $25k 987 or 987S.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote