Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #1

Clunk noise comming from rear

I have a 2000 Boxster with a strange clunk noise coming from the rear of the car.

It only makes this noise when I have stopped and am starting to move forward again.

If you made me guess, I would say it's an engine mount or drive shaft that was slightly loose thereby allowing slight movement of this item once I have stopped the car and then taking back off.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? I have checked drive shafts, the front engine mount and miscellaneous bolts that are part of the suspension, but I have not found the culprit of the clunking noise. I have found some bolts that I tighten up a little, but none seem to make a huge difference in the noise.

If anyone has any clues I would love to hear them before my clunking noise becomes jackpot noise for the local dealer.

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #2

No one on this forum will be able to help you much until you get the source of the clunking sound identified.

See if you can get an indy or the stealership to tell you what's gone out and then take the car back.

Then, post what's worn out here and a bunch of us can tell you how we went about replacing it for a lot less money.

I have replaced my entire suspension now and I'm happy to help you if it's a suspension or bearing issue. I have not had the pleasure of replacing my drive shafts as of yet
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

Hey, i think i know what your talking about. Do u hear the noise when your in neutral or when your driving? It sounds like bolts rattling?
lookimviet07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Sounds a little like a loose bowling ball in your trunk?? Check your motor mounts. It is a common problem.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #5

I agree, my mom had a Lincoln that would "pop" when you accelerate and it was a busted motor mount.
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #6

Hi all thanks for the replies!!

I especially like the loose bowling ball! (HA).

I'll dig deeper to see what I can find in regards to motor mounts.

As far as the ratteling comments I get that while driving on bumpy roadsas well and I have yet to figure out what that rattle is, but it definatly is not the clunk I am talking about.

The cluck only happens after I stop and when I start to accelerate forward.

I have not had to deal with suspension yet, however, I had to remove my passenger side drive shaft due to a leaky coolent tank! (YEA) However, I have checked and recheck these bolts and can't seem to find the culprit.

I will dig deeper into the motor mounts when I can get my wife to park it long enough to open everything up!

By the way, where is the best place to get parts for my boxster? I have found differrent places, but none seem to carry too many parts and I really hate going to the Stealership for anything!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #7

Pictures of Engine Mounts

Here are some pictures of my engine mounts. The rear ones appear to be ok (however you can see the signs of age on the rubber)

The front engine mount seems to be missing rubber on the inside of the mount. Can anybody confirm via these picture that the front engine mount is bad and needs to be replaced. I am going to have to fix the water pump and I think it will be a good time to fix the front engine mount at the same time.

Following are pictures of the front engine mount.

Porsche Boxster Front Engine Mount 5

Porsche Boxster Front Engine Mount 4

Porsche Boxster Front Engine Mount 3

Porsche Boxster Front Engine Mount 2

Porsche Boxster Front Engine Mount

Following are picture of the rear engine mounts:

Rear Engine Mount 3

Rear Engine Mount 2

Rear Engine Mount

Thanks for the help!
Chris
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #8

The front motor mount is supposed to have some gaps in the rubber. I can't tell from that picture whether or not the rubber is OK. If your car has at least 30-40k miles on it then chances are the front motor mount should be repaired or replaced.

Consider doing a DIY repair or replacement or check out Pedro's solution (http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Performance%20Products.html) as you will save money.
Stefan (Boston) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #9

Here's a few pictures from when I replaced the front motor mount on our 2000S in April 2008

The one shows how the rubber mount was cracked around the circumference of the mount. I used a screwdriver to spread open the cracked rubber to make it obvious what was wrong.

The next pix shows a comparison of the old mount with the new one, shown on the left. This new mount is slightly modified from the original and the part number is: 987 375 023 04

I paid $207 (including sales tax) from a local dealership here in No VA.

It took about 3 hours start to finish doing the repair in my driveway. As already mentioned, Pedro's site and others have good write ups for the proceedure.

And no, I could not see that the mount was bad untill I pulled it from the car. I went on strong gut feeling that the mount was bad and bought from the local dealership ahead of time rather than order over the internet, thinking that it would be easy to return it if I was wrong. As you can see, I guessed right.
past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 12-29-2008 at 12:41 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate everyone's help!!

I think since the car has nearly 90 K on it I'll go ahead and get the front motor mount as well.

I check out Pedro's site and I will give him a call tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.