Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #1

K&N

hey guys wsup just wanted to know how i can install a k&n air filter in my 2.7?

thnx

yerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Garage
Are you going to replace the paper panel filter or upgrade to an EVO style with a cone?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #3

witch one do you guys think is better and what is d approx prices for them?
yerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #4

Garage
It's a matter of opinion. You can search this forum and find pros and cons about paper vs oil impregnated cotton gauze. Also stock air box vs aftermarket high flow with a cone filter.

I started out stock, got a K&N then found a EVO on EBay. The EVO breaths allot better but some seem to think performance suffers.

Just in case you decide on a K&N;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__96-97-98-04-Porsche-Boxster-K-N-Air-Cleaner-Filter-New_W0QQitemZ130277149087QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Acces soriesQQadiZ2865QQddiZ2811QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ 20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1302771490 87&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 12-25-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:23 AM   #5

Garage
I too was recently wondering which style filter to choose for my 2.5, in the UK the K&N panel filter is about £30 the EVO style is a little harder to find over here so we seem to pay a premium about £260, for that reason I thought I would try the panel filter first and then maybe at a later date remove the airbox and install an EVO.The K&N filter was simple to install, just follow the instructions supplied, the filter is a very tight fit but is supplied with lube to make it easier to slide back into the airbox, I also removed the intake silencer at the same time to give a bit more induction noise, I don't know if the 2.7 has one fitted or not?I know the EVO will sound even better! but for the moment and for the cost I am happy.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #6

A number of folks have reported MAF problems after K&N. Some obviously over-oiled their filters after cleaning them. Others said they just took them out of the box and installed them.

One post recommended wrapping newspaper around the filter to absorb any excess oil.

Not sure there is a definitive answer about where proper amount of oiling prevents K&N problems.

I would not put one in my Box. I do have one in my 914.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #7

Why would you

install an air filter that, in objective tests, allows more particles and bigger particles into the airflow into your engine?

Don't you use an air filter for only one reason...that being to keep dirt out of the engine and reduce wear?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #8

Garage
If that were fact, K&N would be committing false advertising. I haven't heard of any lawsuits? Have you? If it were such a bad product how come people still buy them? The company seems to be doing great business for having a terrible product, don’t you think? .

In the forties, cars used an oil bath filter. The air would go through the oil before getting drawn into the engine, cleaning out any dirt particles. The same principal holds true with a K&N. I can't see how a dry paper filter can clean air better than a filter with sticky oil being held in a cotton media catching the dirt.

But to each his/her own.

P.S. To the post above, yes the auto filters are sparingly pre-oiled.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 12-26-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #9

I just put a K&N filter in my Kawi a month or so ago. Noticeable improvement, but then again the stock filter was pretty thickly covered with bug parts. But I digress. The filter was preoiled from the factory. Don't they preoil the car filters too? I seemed to be done quite sparingly...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 AM   #10

No Problems Here

Have had mine installed for over 60,000ks that's about 40,000 miles I think & no problems at all. Light oiling is the key

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #11

The '99 I just bought had a MAF failure at only 35,000 miles (Sept '08) - car has had a K&N in it from the start. It was cleaned and re-oiled at 30,000 last year at 30,000, per the dealer notes. The first thing I'm doing is putting in a fresh paper filter. From the many used oil analyses I've done on various customer cars, I've found that silicon levels (dirt, contamination) are about double for engines running a K&N filter. The only cleanable air filter I have seen that doesn't allow more contaminants in are the oiled foam filters - there are a few out there. For reference, here's just one comparo of foam versus k&n:

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/amsoil_vs_kn_two_stage_air_filter.htm

Sorry to post an Amsoil link, but it's the first one I found in Google.

The best foam air filters are those made by ITG:

http://www.itgairfilters.com/

Another good link to read up on air filter testing is:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

K&N does offer foam pre-filters for some filter types, which would bring their performance up to par with other filters. But just changing your paper filter more often will yield roughly the same performance (at a greater cost of course over the lifetime of the car if you don't count MAF failures with over-oiled K&Ns).
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution

Last edited by cnavarro; 12-28-2008 at 06:55 AM.
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #12

Just because people buy something

and because it doesn't have lawsuits against the company that makes the product is no reason to assume the product is any good. The purchasing may be due to marketing (and K&N has done a lot of it over the years). And the lack of lawsuits may be due as much to the difficulty of proving the cause and damage as for any other reason. Damage from the increased abrasion would occur over many years. How would the lawyer prove how much of the wear was the portion caused by the dirty oil that was caused by the difference in filtration?

The comparison test I saw was in a magazine about 2-3 years ago. Amsol's tests came up with the same results.

Charles' oil samples testing only confirms what these other two tests have shown...the K&N when properly oiled lets in more particles of dirt and bigger particles of dirt.

If you want to install one because you think it sounds "cool" to have one...it is your car, your money and your choice. Or if you value a few HP over increased wear, then that is a valid argument for you. Or if you use the car on the track and your class allows the change, that too can be justified by the tests.

But don't kid yourself that it is the best air filtration device you can fit to the car to filter dirt from the air and keep it out of the engine.

If you have one, change your oil much more frequently (which will cancel out and advertised reuse savings in using the K&N).

There are some additional test results in this link

Last edited by mikefocke; 12-28-2008 at 07:23 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #13

I am not advocating one type of air filter over another, I just thought I would share one Boxster owners experience with a cone-type filter element, mine is part of a TTP intake. I had it installed a couple of years ago, before I knew much about the discussion about possible clogging of MAF sensors and oiled, paper filters possibily doing a poor job of filtering. I just knew it sounded great, as most of the aftermarket intakes do.

I have used my oiled TTP filter element for about 35k with no problems with the MAF what so ever. I clean and oil the filter element pretty often, because it gets dirty so quickly. I probably clean and oil it every 5-7K on average. Over the period of use the cone-air-filter, I have sent my regular 5 to 7K engine oil change samples in for analysis. They have come back saying the oil was very clean, and on one of the analysis sheets, they said whatever kind of air filter I was using, it was doing a very good job.

I am pretty careful when I oil the filter element. I usually blow some air through it after I have oiled it and lightly rub a rag over the surface. I dont know how different the cone-filter I use is, but it is sourced from BMC I believe. These filters are are not cheap, I think I paid 160.00 for an extra filter element. One more data point.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Off Topic

Hey Ed, where is your MAF housing? I don't see it in the pic. Intake looks good though.

So far I am still committed to stock intake and paper filters. Kind of a competition rule freak I guess. I just change them annually.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #15

There is a very nice CNC machined opening for the MAF sensor with the intake. You can just see the black sensor sticking up toward the back of the box on the blue aluminum housing. Its a great intake, built to higher standards than I need. I think it was really designed for larger motors and turbo applications, but still works well for smaller, normally aspirated engines. I sure dont know why anyone would need a carbon fiber housing around the filter element. The fit is good, but weight savings?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote