Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milford, Ks.
Posts: 73
Desnorkeled????????

I'm not really sure of what desnorkeling a car is exactly doing. I'm sure that I could have looked it up some where in the forums, but I would much rather have it spelled out for me so that I get it. I got the whole deambering thing that seems to be going around ( lots of made up words) but I don't have the foggiest idea as to what desnorkeling is.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 998
search????????

I'm sure that I could have responded with something helpful but I'm feeling frisky this morning
__________________
kabel

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,591
search!!!!!!!!

+1 on that...there's TONs of posts on that subject, pics and all.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milford, Ks.
Posts: 73
Or not.....

Never mind, I read all about it and I get it now! Not that big of a deal because I have an evo motorsports intake already so it doesn't even matter at this point.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milford, Ks.
Posts: 73
Standard Terminology

I love that fact that some people make things up as the go along and then expect everyone else who owns a boxster to know THEIR terminology so here it goes.... irregardliessly I am going to put a chingadera on my high speed gafinator puck with reverse flow grooves!
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: southern california
Posts: 10
I did a search for "chingadera on my high speed gafinator puck with reverse flow grooves", but didn't get any hits. It sounds cool. Can you elaborate??
__________________
Lapis Blue 2003 (986)
rzucchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 109
A chingadera on my high speed gafinator puck with reverse flow grooves will give you some pretty good HP gains (57+) but only if you put in a larger flux capacitor.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 998
^ which are all on back order, because there is only only one mfg making the secondary flux-recic coil for the primary power unit
__________________
kabel

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Speaking of desnorking, anyone here resnork? I resnorked recently after having my car desnorked for almost a year, because of a perceived loss of power at highway speeds with the snork tube out (when the airflow differences would be most relevant).

I always had an inkling that the curved trumpet at the end of the snork must somehow smooth out the airflow into the intake to allow a better MAF reading, and that removing it would leave a highly turbulent and uneven flow of air because of all the rough waffle edges in the intake area left after removing the tube.

Before resnorking, however, I removed the cup at the end of the snork, as I thought the cup at the end was a further restriction that was added to help prevent cigarette butts and water from entering the intake. In 2003, the factory removed the cup from the snork tube, and instead put in a mesh screen behind to address those issues of debris entry. Anyway, after resnorking, I do feel that the power at speed has come back, but am not sure if it is all in my mind or not.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzucchet
I did a search for "chingadera on my high speed gafinator puck with reverse flow grooves", but didn't get any hits. It sounds cool. Can you elaborate??
You should have searched on the less obvious. "Irregardless" is not a word...

But while I do agree that some of these terms like "desnorkelling" are confusing to the nubie (I kept wondering what a "hack" was as it's not a term used by the BMW community), a search is not all the difficult. We should be gentle but firm with Grasshopper.
__________________
Walt Conley
01 Boxster - Meridien silver
wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Speaking of desnorking, anyone here resnork? I resnorked recently after having my car desnorked for almost a year, because of a perceived loss of power at highway speeds with the snork tube out (when the airflow differences would be most relevant).

I always had an inkling that the curved trumpet at the end of the snork must somehow smooth out the airflow into the intake to allow a better MAF reading, and that removing it would leave a highly turbulent and uneven flow of air because of all the rough waffle edges in the intake area left after removing the tube.

Before resnorking, however, I removed the cup at the end of the snork, as I thought the cup at the end was a further restriction that was added to help prevent cigarette butts and water from entering the intake. In 2003, the factory removed the cup from the snork tube, and instead put in a mesh screen behind to address those issues of debris entry. Anyway, after resnorking, I do feel that the power at speed has come back, but am not sure if it is all in my mind or not.
I suggest that any power increase is in your head. The snorkel trumpet shape is mirrored by the inlet to the intake plenum so the flow is as well guided and any turbulence will be normalized by the filter. The snorkel is a restriction.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milford, Ks.
Posts: 73
Lol

Also, just so that everyone knows (because it doesn't look like it) iregardliessly is also entirely a made up word.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
I have two pressure sensors set up and ready to data log the pressure in the intake runner both with and without the snorkel to see exactly what does happen..

All tests that I have seen have been done at WOT on a dyno where peak power rules, but I believe that lower engine speeds and cruising the de-snorkel may be hurting performance. Thats because the intake was designed with the snorkel in place-

My chassis dyno is almost completed and my new 28 channel data logger is ready to be installed, between the lab and field testing of my test cars I'll gain and share lots of data soon on this subject.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I suggest that any power increase is in your head. The snorkel trumpet shape is mirrored by the inlet to the intake plenum so the flow is as well guided and any turbulence will be normalized by the filter. The snorkel is a restriction.
You may be right, but the inlet to the intake plenum (when the snorkel is removed) is not curve trumpeted. It is simply a straight edge opening, and has waffle edges surrounding it. The inlet also sits all the way at the back of the housing, as opposed to the snork tube which runs right up to the edge of the louvres. Granted, any flow, as you said, should be normalized by the filter, so I don't know.

I just think that if the car was made to be faster without the snork, the innards of the intake housing would be designed much cleaner than it currently is with all those waffle edges. The snork tube, in essence, cleans up the flow, and the intake was designed with the idea that the snork would be in place. I also wouldn't disagree with you that the snork may very well be a restriction, but a restriction in the sense of smoothing out the airflow, yet still allowing enough air to enter the intake to allow the car to make the best overall power in all the varying rev ranges. After all, more flow to the intake doesn't necessarily equate to more power if the engine can't translate that extra flow due to other bottlenecks in the system, or if the engine already gets the right amount of airflow it needs to run optimally, no?
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I have two pressure sensors set up and ready to data log the pressure in the intake runner both with and without the snorkel to see exactly what does happen..

All tests that I have seen have been done at WOT on a dyno where peak power rules, but I believe that lower engine speeds and cruising the de-snorkel may be hurting performance. Thats because the intake was designed with the snorkel in place-

My chassis dyno is almost completed and my new 28 channel data logger is ready to be installed, between the lab and field testing of my test cars I'll gain and share lots of data soon on this subject.
I'd be very interested in seeing your results Jake. Thanks for the input.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
You may be right, but the inlet to the intake plenum (when the snorkel is removed) is not curve trumpeted. It is simply a straight edge opening, and has waffle edges surrounding it. The inlet also sits all the way at the back of the housing, as opposed to the snork tube which runs right up to the edge of the louvres. Granted, any flow, as you said, should be normalized by the filter, so I don't know.

I just think that if the car was made to be faster without the snork, the innards of the intake housing would be designed much cleaner than it currently is with all those waffle edges. The snork tube, in essence, cleans up the flow, and the intake was designed with the idea that the snork would be in place. I also wouldn't disagree with you that the snork may very well be a restriction, but a restriction in the sense of smoothing out the airflow, yet still allowing enough air to enter the intake to allow the car to make the best overall power in all the varying rev ranges. After all, more flow to the intake doesn't necessarily equate to more power if the engine can't translate that extra flow due to other bottlenecks in the system, or if the engine already gets the right amount of airflow it needs to run optimally, no?
This is a subject that's been beaten to death. There's nothing that hasn't been covered here already.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 295
Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster_s_boy_34
Also, just so that everyone knows (because it doesn't look like it) iregardliessly is also entirely a made up word.

That's right. "Irregardliessly" is redundant. It's just "regardliessly"
__________________
TimAustinW
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ignature-1.jpg
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 998
I think you argument is irredundant
__________________
kabel

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Marin, CA
Posts: 36
re-snork

Not to beat the subject to death, but to answer a question...

Boxtaboy,
I have a '99 box 2.5, which I just recently de-snorked for about a week and also felt as though performance had changed for the worse. I then resnorked having also removed the cup at the end, and it seems as if performance changed for the better, if not the same as stock.

I am not a mechanic, and used no tools to gauge my car's performance except my own senses, but thought I would share my experience.
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillian
Not to beat the subject to death, but to answer a question...

Boxtaboy,
I have a '99 box 2.5, which I just recently de-snorked for about a week and also felt as though performance had changed for the worse. I then resnorked having also removed the cup at the end, and it seems as if performance changed for the better, if not the same as stock.

I am not a mechanic, and used no tools to gauge my car's performance except my own senses, but thought I would share my experience.
Thanks for confirming I'm not the only crazy one here.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page