View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
You may be right, but the inlet to the intake plenum (when the snorkel is removed) is not curve trumpeted. It is simply a straight edge opening, and has waffle edges surrounding it. The inlet also sits all the way at the back of the housing, as opposed to the snork tube which runs right up to the edge of the louvres. Granted, any flow, as you said, should be normalized by the filter, so I don't know.

I just think that if the car was made to be faster without the snork, the innards of the intake housing would be designed much cleaner than it currently is with all those waffle edges. The snork tube, in essence, cleans up the flow, and the intake was designed with the idea that the snork would be in place. I also wouldn't disagree with you that the snork may very well be a restriction, but a restriction in the sense of smoothing out the airflow, yet still allowing enough air to enter the intake to allow the car to make the best overall power in all the varying rev ranges. After all, more flow to the intake doesn't necessarily equate to more power if the engine can't translate that extra flow due to other bottlenecks in the system, or if the engine already gets the right amount of airflow it needs to run optimally, no?
This is a subject that's been beaten to death. There's nothing that hasn't been covered here already.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote