Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

View Poll Results: Has your Boxster sustained a IMS failure, requiring engine replacement?
No:1997-1999 MY 16 25.00%
Yes:1997-1999 MY 2 3.13%
Yes-multiple failures: 1997-1999 MY 0 0%
No: 2000-2004 MY 43 67.19%
Yes: 2000-20004 MY 4 6.25%
Yes-multiple failures: 2000-2004 MY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #141
pjq

Wow, there is a lot of wishfull thinking going on here. As long as the wish comes true every thing is rosey.
Its sort of like Russian Roulette, as long as your not the one who pulls the trigger when the bullet is in the chamber, the game is easy and you can keep playing for a long time, but just that once...., just once .....if it were to happen to you, Uhhhh shi......!
We all carry car insurance and house insurance and some may even carry life insurance all because of the "What If situation"! We hope we never have to use that insurance but we still buy it.
Well if you don't believe in the IMS failure hype then think of it as another piece of relatively cheap insurance. If you have it you won't have to read these Sad IMS failure forums wondering what to do after you've had an IMS failure.
The bullet was in the chamber, I did everything I thought possible to avoid it (oil type, Oil change frequency, driving revs, magnetic plug, etc.),except change the IMS. Mechanics told me what great shape my car was in. I had no indication there was going to be a problem. I couldn't find a mechanic that would change the IMSB. The car was running great.
2004 Boxster S 44,000 miles bought 2 years ago with 23,400 miles at the time of purchase. I've enjoyed every mile I've put on that car. Its a hot looking car and a kick ass driving car. You just have to feel great driving this car. I think Porsche made the "Love Affair " commercial with me in mind.
Last week 4hrs into a one week road trip to warmer places, oil filter change completed, I suffered the infamous IMS failure, Uhhhh shi......!
If you have someone to change your IMS just go get it done NOW why wait? Nothing good can come from waiting in this case. Every mile of driving the risk factor can only increase.
An IMS failure hurts!

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #142

Garage
Sorry to hear about his--a failure at 44K is way too soon.

After reading stories like this, if I bought a used 986 one of the first things I would do would be the cam deviation test, then either the IMS Guardian or just replace the IMS, depending on whether a clutch replacement made sense. The cam deviation test would give you an idea of where you were at the moment and the Guardian--hopefully--would allow you to turn the car off in enough time before the engine was reduced to scrap

On a 987, it's a different proposition--the IMS Guardian would just be signal for you to park the car and gather your finances for an engine rebuild of some degree--a much more expensive proposition.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #143
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have a 2001 Boxster base and don't think too much about IMS failure as I have the IMS guardian installed. I notice the above poster has the 2013 Box on order so that must give a person peace of mind what with no IMS.
I may in several years time get the 2009 Box or newer as it has no ims. In the meantime if my Box blows up, then another engine from a wrecked Boxster or ship mine to Georgia for the upgraded engine.Sorry to hear the first post er having the IMS fail. A real bummer. Did u get a new engine? Where did u get it ?
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #144

Also sorry to hear about the 04 Boxster S. Have the same car with 44k miles. Did the IMS, RMS, water pump, 160 stat, clutch, and throughout bearing in July 2012. It was well worth the $4k. The shop showed me the bearing. Maybe could have gotten another 5 to 10k miles before she blew. Anyone just thinking about getting it done, just do it.
LuvTheBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #145

IMS related engine failure

All: I recently sent an email to the PCA officers asking them to intervene with Porsche for help on the IMS and heard back from Manny Alban, the President. Mr. Alban says that everyone with an IMS failure should write Porsche with copy to PCA; he further stated that PCA's policy is not to interfere with Porsche as it does not interfere with PCA. I had pointed out that the U.S. is Porsche's biggest customer and therefore the PCA should intervene on our behalf--I specifically suggested that Porsche could direct its dealers to offer reasonable extended warranty insurance to cover the IMS since I know that Porsche will never voluntarily do a recall on the IMS.
Maybe the class action lawsuit route is the best way to go since the PCA does not apparently want to help its members.
Thanks, Cabjose.
cabjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #146

IMS related engine failure

Many thanks for the advice from MikenOhio.
Cabjose.
cabjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #147

Send a message via ICQ to diuxuryindita
Test, just a test

Hello. And Bye.
diuxuryindita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #148

IMS failure

Add another one to the 'yes' list. '02 Boxster S with 65k miles on it experienced IMS bearing failure. Bearing 'melted' onto bearing race and cannot be removed with out pulling engine and splitting case. Specialty Porsche shop tells me I was the 3rd owner today that reported the failure. He says it has become a rampant problem for this engine series.

I am surprised no one has filed a class action suit given the obvious design defect of this engine series. Porsche is negligent not standing behind this issue.
chuck reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #149

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabjose View Post
Many thanks for the advice from MikenOhio.
Cabjose.
Adding to the preventative measures, think about the IMS guardian from Flat 6 innovations.
It can alert you to an impending IMS failure. It doesn't fix anything, but it reportedly does give you a heads up that things are going badly and you might not want to drive the car much further --check it out first, though.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
Adding to the preventative measures, think about the IMS guardian from Flat 6 innovations.
It can alert you to an impending IMS failure. It doesn't fix anything, but it reportedly can give you a heads up that things are going badly and you might not want to drive the car much further --check it out first, though.
FTFY!

From everything I've read, the IMS guardian basically utilizes the same technology that "chip detectors in aircraft turbine engines. Basically a magnetized plug is inserted into the oil system. The plug is designed to be an open circuit. Ferrous metal in the oil is attracted to the magnet. if the metal particles are large enough or in sufficient quantity, it closes the circuit which cause a warning in the form of a caution light or audible warning or both. A failing IMSB may release ferrous particulate into the oil stream, or it may be confined to the IMS tube. The guardian is inexpensive insurance. However, If IMSB failure is a real concern to an owner, I think the money is better spent on a magnetic drain plug and a Durametric code reader. Checking cam deviation regularly is easy and you have a host of other diagnostic tools at your disposal. Magnetic drain plug should be thought of as a back up check at oil change.
Attached Images

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #151

Why does Porsche continue to use IMS instead of more direct drive, crank to head?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #152

Porsche doesn't use the IMS design any more.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #153

When did they change it and which model have the newer engine design? Are there any photos of the newer H6 motor w/o the IMS? I'm curious to learn more about these H6 designs.

Last edited by Trey T; 09-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #154

2009 models for Boxster marked the IMS-less design introduction. Maybe grab one of the car mags reviews from that time period for descriptions of what changed.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #155

Cool! It appears that the 997 (2nd gen) 2010 has the IMS deleted also.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #156

Just called a local garage to ask the price of ims bearing . £900 for a seal. Not a ceramic bearing or a oil fed one. Just a seal replaced. More if the bearing needed replacing. He said he had a 986 and a 987 inshop for ims bearings now !
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #157

^I assumed w/ labor, then it's a fair pricing.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #158

How many times to do see an aircraft engine fail with good results? The warning lights flash and a siren goes off, then its bang ! I think the gurdian is a waste of money
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #159
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelove View Post
How many times to do see an aircraft engine fail with good results? The warning lights flash and a siren goes off, then its bang ! I think the gurdian is a waste of money
I disagree because when there is sufficient metal in the oil plug sensor then the light/aural warning will come on to warn you of more disastrous results that could result if you kept on motoring....

True damage may have been done at that point but I believe it is worth it to save the engine block.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #160
Vista glass

Garage
No
1998 base. 83,500
Put in LN IMS ceramic with clutch at 78,000.
The original IMS was in good shape, but"while you are in there....."

Last edited by Vista glass; 09-10-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote