Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Can of Fix-A-Flat

I'm buying a can of fix a flat and removing the spare tire in the front. I will keep the toolkit and the can in a backpack along with other spare parts. Doing this will save 30lbs from the front of the car.

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

The newer generation Porsches don't have spares,why do the older ones need them?

Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

Keep a small compressor that can be plugged into the cig lighter to finish the tire inflation. a can of fix-a-flat won't pump your tire up very far. And make sure to tell the folks at the tire shop that you put fix-a-flat in the tire. as a wrench (who doesn't do tire work anymore Thank god) I can tell you that you are risking your life my not passing that info on. It is nasty stuff to work with.
I like your idea and am going to do the same thing to the wife Boxster today.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #3

I have been carrying the can of fix-a-flatand tire plugging kit for the better part of two years. Luckly, I have never had to use the system. I used to carry a compressor, but just got the jumbo sized can of fix-a-flat designed for bigger tires instead, it should have enough juice for my 18" tires.

I ocassionally put my spare tire in when I think I would not want to be relying on the repair route. When I do, I also bring some bungi cords and cloth to put on the rear deck for the flat tire, as the 18's will not fit in the trunks or in the car with a passenger.

With my lightweight battery and no spare, I save about 50 lbs from the front of the car. I saved another 30+ lbs from the rear end of the car with lightweight flywheel and exhaust system. My coilover suspension was setup for this weight distribution, and it seems to work great.

BTW, I just drove 1500 miles in my Boxster in the last 3 days. It is running great, no issues with 78K. I was getting a little over 28mpg with the top down and a running speed of 75 mph. I would really like to run throught a tank of gas on the highway to with the top up to see how the mileage changes, but I cannt bring myself to do it when the top can be down...

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I wouldn't remove the spare tire. A can of fix a flat is not going to be nearly as useful as the spare if you do get a flat. Here's a Boxtaboy quote from this thread:

"
Again, as ToolPants pointed out for us before:
This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropriate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.

I would just keep the spare in your car. If you're really stuck in a remote area, you could always leave the full size wheel behind hidden somewhere, and come back for it after dropping your wife off someplace to wait while you go back and retrieve your wheel. There are times when even a fix-a-flat won't be of use.
"

I wouldn't hesitate to remove it for an autocross, but I wouldn't for daily driving. Why would you care about 30 lbs. around town?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
$9 later and my ride weighs 30lbs less.

Don't get me wrong,the spare will be put back in if I drive further then 75 miles but that doesn't happen too often.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

I have lost the spare in my car to my audio equipment, but instead I carry the "BMW M Mobility System" (BMW's glorified Fix-a-Flat and compressor) just in case. Hopefully I never have to use it though

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #7

Garage
I'm all about safety so I'll leave my spare in. I personally, through experience, don't believe a spare is needed anyway. As I've posted in the past, I drove to work 13 miles, 75mph down Interstate 40. When I got to work I noticed I had a flat (O psi). Other that a slight pull to the right the car ran fine. After resealing the tire I was back on the road and the tire still looks great.

So I have no worries about a flat tire in the Box, Run Flats live up to their name.