View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I wouldn't remove the spare tire. A can of fix a flat is not going to be nearly as useful as the spare if you do get a flat. Here's a Boxtaboy quote from this thread:

"
Again, as ToolPants pointed out for us before:
This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropriate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.

I would just keep the spare in your car. If you're really stuck in a remote area, you could always leave the full size wheel behind hidden somewhere, and come back for it after dropping your wife off someplace to wait while you go back and retrieve your wheel. There are times when even a fix-a-flat won't be of use.
"

I wouldn't hesitate to remove it for an autocross, but I wouldn't for daily driving. Why would you care about 30 lbs. around town?