Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #1

Exclamation AHH! Right air vent smoking!! some coolant is dripping!?! why!?

i just arrived home tonight and as i park my car and turn it off, the right side air vent is just smoking! i look around the car, and i see coolant leaking from underneath the car! i JUST put antifreeze this morning and checked my oil and everything...what happened!??! HELP! i dont think im gunna get much sleep tonight! (i drive a 2000 boxster 5-speed manual) what should i do? what do you think it is? thanks!

oh one more thing..there is no check engine light or anything. i mean i stocked up the fluids this morning, and i only drove like 10 miles from starbucks to back home, and i parked my car and saw this trouble. and also, as i was exiting from the freeway, i heard a screeching/humming sound...i thought it was the construction going on around the area..but now im thinking it could have been my car. any help would be great..thanks guys.

Last edited by tawaty; 08-14-2008 at 10:28 PM.
tawaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #2

Coolant leaking from center of car? Water pump !

I was thinking slight coolant overfill and then overflow (would come from passenger side wheel well) until you mentioned the screeching/humming noise which pretty much confirms the pump.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about that. I had the same problem 2 years ago. It happened to be a broken water pump.
leo_guim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #4

I'm not super mechanical - so excuse my overly simplistic explanation.

I had a similar scare the very first day after bringing the Box home from LA. Smoke from right vent and leaking coolant.

Towed the car to a local Porsche mechanic and it turned out a hose worked loose and simply needed to be reattached. 1 hour of labour and some new coolant and I was fixed for good (knock on wood).

Can't say this is your issue, but you could be as lucky as I was!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...yvr/Avatar.jpg
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #5

Don't panic, as it could be minor indeed. However, DO get the car to a mechanic now to see what you are dealing with.

Top off coolant if need be but don't overfill.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
Shift Light

Somebody can tell me where I find place to plug wire to get RPM pulse for my just added tachometer and shift light. Boxster S 2000.
Thanks for help
Jacques
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #7

phew..thanks guys. i thought i might have cracked a cylinder head or something!(thank goodness it wasnt) i got it towed to the shop that very day...turned out it was the water pump. hose also had a small leak in it, so replaced the hose too. thankfully im only paying about $350 to get it all done..and ill be back on the road by monday!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawaty
phew..thanks guys. i thought i might have cracked a cylinder head or something!(thank goodness it wasnt) i got it towed to the shop that very day...turned out it was the water pump. hose also had a small leak in it, so replaced the hose too. thankfully im only paying about $350 to get it all done..and ill be back on the road by monday!
Only $350?!

Man that's a replacement pump,hose and coolant system being bleed and labor?!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #9

yea..im actually a car dealer/exporter. i deal mainly with MB, BMW, and have recently started doing Porsches in the last few months. i export primarily to Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, and Dubai. i have a lot of mechanic friends, so they all help me out a lot. parts i get at wholesale price, labor isnt much because i give my guys work all the time...the beauty of being in the car business.lol.