986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   AHH! Right air vent smoking!! some coolant is dripping!?! why!? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/17903-ahh-right-air-vent-smoking-some-coolant-dripping-why.html)

tawaty 08-14-2008 10:23 PM

AHH! Right air vent smoking!! some coolant is dripping!?! why!?

i just arrived home tonight and as i park my car and turn it off, the right side air vent is just smoking! i look around the car, and i see coolant leaking from underneath the car! i JUST put antifreeze this morning and checked my oil and everything...what happened!??! HELP! i dont think im gunna get much sleep tonight! (i drive a 2000 boxster 5-speed manual) what should i do? what do you think it is? thanks!

oh one more thing..there is no check engine light or anything. i mean i stocked up the fluids this morning, and i only drove like 10 miles from starbucks to back home, and i parked my car and saw this trouble. and also, as i was exiting from the freeway, i heard a screeching/humming sound...i thought it was the construction going on around the area..but now im thinking it could have been my car. any help would be great..thanks guys.

Lil bastard 08-15-2008 05:53 AM

Coolant leaking from center of car? Water pump !

I was thinking slight coolant overfill and then overflow (would come from passenger side wheel well) until you mentioned the screeching/humming noise which pretty much confirms the pump.

leo_guim 08-15-2008 07:28 AM

Sorry to hear about that. I had the same problem 2 years ago. It happened to be a broken water pump.

pcar-yvr 08-15-2008 11:01 PM

I'm not super mechanical - so excuse my overly simplistic explanation.

I had a similar scare the very first day after bringing the Box home from LA. Smoke from right vent and leaking coolant.

Towed the car to a local Porsche mechanic and it turned out a hose worked loose and simply needed to be reattached. 1 hour of labour and some new coolant and I was fixed for good (knock on wood).

Can't say this is your issue, but you could be as lucky as I was!

Brucelee 08-16-2008 07:30 AM

Don't panic, as it could be minor indeed. However, DO get the car to a mechanic now to see what you are dealing with.

Top off coolant if need be but don't overfill.

Good luck.

:)

pinzgo 08-16-2008 08:46 AM

Shift Light

Somebody can tell me where I find place to plug wire to get RPM pulse for my just added tachometer and shift light. Boxster S 2000.
Thanks for help
Jacques

tawaty 08-16-2008 09:55 PM

phew..thanks guys. i thought i might have cracked a cylinder head or something!(thank goodness it wasnt) i got it towed to the shop that very day...turned out it was the water pump. hose also had a small leak in it, so replaced the hose too. thankfully im only paying about $350 to get it all done..and ill be back on the road by monday! :)

blinkwatt 08-17-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tawaty
phew..thanks guys. i thought i might have cracked a cylinder head or something!(thank goodness it wasnt) i got it towed to the shop that very day...turned out it was the water pump. hose also had a small leak in it, so replaced the hose too. thankfully im only paying about $350 to get it all done..and ill be back on the road by monday! :)

Only $350?!

Man that's a replacement pump,hose and coolant system being bleed and labor?!

tawaty 08-17-2008 08:30 PM

yea..im actually a car dealer/exporter. i deal mainly with MB, BMW, and have recently started doing Porsches in the last few months. i export primarily to Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, and Dubai. i have a lot of mechanic friends, so they all help me out a lot. parts i get at wholesale price, labor isnt much because i give my guys work all the time...the beauty of being in the car business.lol. :cheers: