Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #1

DME 7.2 to a 7.8---'02 box S to a '02 911

How hard is it to convert to a DME 7.8 that would be used on a 2002 3.6L engine from a 2002 DME 7.2 3.2L engine. Where can I find the wiring changes needed. Is it just a matter of changing pin locations in the harness. I need specifics or where to find the specifics. I have the Porsche Boxster Service Manual: 1997-2004 Boxster, Boxster S (Robert Bentley) on order from Amazon. I will probably need the wiring diagram from the 2002 911. where can i find it?

m2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #2

also curious on this... most people I've talked to about the swap, say for a 996 3.6L swap, that it is best/easiest with a 02+ boxster.... but that seems off since the 02 is still the 7.2 dme.... isn't it supposed to be with the 7.8 dme? ...which is the 03-04 boxster...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

The reason 02 is given as the limit is because the Can bus system that can along with the 7.8 was already in the car at the time.... can bus in the 7.8 ran the PSM, Cruise, ABS, Cluster, and the AC control Unit... the 01 986's had some can bus.... to the cluster, but not the others. In order to get the 7.8 3.6 into your 7.2 boxster you will need a 7.8 DME, reflashed to 3.6 engine management, and have to re-pin the harness to match the new DME layout.... you can get MOST of the info from the Bentley... it has 7.8 pin assignments, but they are a little off at times.... the bentley however does not have wiring diagrams for the 7.8, only 7.2....
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyc
The reason 02 is given as the limit is because the Can bus system that can along with the 7.8 was already in the car at the time.... can bus in the 7.8 ran the PSM, Cruise, ABS, Cluster, and the AC control Unit... the 01 986's had some can bus.... to the cluster, but not the others. In order to get the 7.8 3.6 into your 7.2 boxster you will need a 7.8 DME, reflashed to 3.6 engine management, and have to re-pin the harness to match the new DME layout.... you can get MOST of the info from the Bentley... it has 7.8 pin assignments, but they are a little off at times.... the bentley however does not have wiring diagrams for the 7.8, only 7.2....
Ok in here you say that 01 cars have SOME CAN bus stuff and mention specifically the instrument cluster.

I know in e-mails back and forth you said that an 01 has mostly all CAN bus but here it seems your suggesting only the instrument cluster is CAN bus. What about all the other items mentioned? I hear so many different things about 01 02 cars and depending on the date of the post it seems that 02 got all CAN bus, and then in later posts it seems that 01 in fact had all CAN bus.

Sorry i am confused and just would love some clarification.

What are you guys paying for USED 7.8 DME's? whats a good price? I checked Sunset and NEW they are $1185 and would come with whatever engine map you want i assume. I wonder what it costs to buy ANY 7.* DME and then when i decide to have the 3.8L X51 engine what it costs to have the service department flash the DME to run that specific engine.

Whats the going rate for the used DME, and whats the going rate for a reflash by Porsche to a different factory engine map?

Last edited by RyanPerrella; 08-06-2008 at 08:19 PM.
RyanPerrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Subscribed to this thread as a 3.6 is going into my 2000 S

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Subscribed to this thread as a 3.6 is going into my 2000 S
You guys need to get off this board and go over to renntech. This has all been addressed previously.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
Ok in here you say that 01 cars have SOME CAN bus stuff and mention specifically the instrument cluster.

I know in e-mails back and forth you said that an 01 has mostly all CAN bus but here it seems your suggesting only the instrument cluster is CAN bus. What about all the other items mentioned? I hear so many different things about 01 02 cars and depending on the date of the post it seems that 02 got all CAN bus, and then in later posts it seems that 01 in fact had all CAN bus.

Sorry i am confused and just would love some clarification.

What are you guys paying for USED 7.8 DME's? whats a good price? I checked Sunset and NEW they are $1185 and would come with whatever engine map you want i assume. I wonder what it costs to buy ANY 7.* DME and then when i decide to have the 3.8L X51 engine what it costs to have the service department flash the DME to run that specific engine.

Whats the going rate for the used DME, and whats the going rate for a reflash by Porsche to a different factory engine map?
Like I told you in my last email, the HVAC, cluster, and ABS are controlled in 01 by CAN bus... I also said I didn't know about Traction Control... I didnt look that up as I don't have it. To confirm it you would have to find 7.8 Wiring Diagrams (and they AREN'T) in any bentley or online 986 manual Ive ever found.

I apologize for the confusion here, and I apologize if it confuses you... to be honest, I think you should just go buy a porsche workshop manual and wiring diagram... so you can find this definitive answer for yourself.

As far as DME source... you have either a junkyard or new... make sure you have the VIN of the used or a dealer who is willing to look it up for you... the usual Porsche junkyards you see in Pano and Excellence have decent prices... just call them. If you try to buy one new, be ready to wait or pay alot ot have it expedited.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Like I told you in my last email, the HVAC, cluster, and ABS are controlled in 01 by CAN bus... I also said I didn't know about Traction Control... I didnt look that up as I don't have it. To confirm it you would have to find 7.8 Wiring Diagrams (and they AREN'T) in any bentley or online 986 manual Ive ever found.

I apologize for the confusion here, and I apologize if it confuses you... to be honest, I think you should just go buy a porsche workshop manual and wiring diagram... so you can find this definitive answer for yourself.

As far as DME source... you have either a junkyard or new... make sure you have the VIN of the used or a dealer who is willing to look it up for you... the usual Porsche junkyards you see in Pano and Excellence have decent prices... just call them. If you try to buy one new, be ready to wait or pay alot ot have it expedited.
Easy Easy, please don't get defensive. I am not trying to say you don't know what your talking about, i am just confused as information from board to board and post to post is sometimes conflicting. Again, I really appreciate your help, i was just asking for clarification on the matter because as i read it, it seems that there was some confusion on my part at least.

Just trying to get to the bottom of this thats all.

Sorry if my post came off as agressive, it wasnt meant to be, i was simply looking for clarification.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #9

I am being told that iA may have a way to use my 7.2 with a 3.6 motor just with the flash that Todd has spoken about on Renntech. I will keep you posted.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
I am being told that iA may have a way to use my 7.2 with a 3.6 motor just with the flash that Todd has spoken about on Renntech. I will keep you posted.
Really? Do you mean just using piggyback system Todd came up with? If not, I didn't think the 7.2 DME had the memory or Processor Power the 7.8 did... Id be interested to hear what they have in mind
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #11

Easy I asked you this in my last e-mail, but since i'm here i'll post it here.

Q: Is there any reason an 03/04 986 harness would not work (without any modifications) running a 3.6 or 3.8 engine in an 01 chassis? This would seem to eliminate the issue of changind DME plugs and adding wires for the variocam + system. Is it that simple?

Actually I know the variocam + wasnt available on the 03 04 986 cars, but is the wiring system not the same?

Or if i wanted just one harness would the 987 harness be the way to go?

I am not averse to making harness modifications, but if i can just get an off the shelf part that would work with a 3.8L then i would like to consider it. I would love NOT to have to get into wiring harness modifications.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #12

I just purchased an 02 996 instrument cluster for my car.... woo hoo!

My 2000 S one is now for sale.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Really? Do you mean just using piggyback system Todd came up with? If not, I didn't think the 7.2 DME had the memory or Processor Power the 7.8 did... Id be interested to hear what they have in mind

Easy I should have all the info by Tuesday of next week.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Easy I should have all the info by Tuesday of next week.
So what did you come up with?
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #15

I found out that if you want it done right you swap EVERYTHING.....

3.6, 02 newer cluster, HVAC, ABS controller, wire harness and 7.8 DME. I am adding the lightweight flywheel, 44lb injectors, complete exhaust, LSD, and my Super charger off of my current 3.2 complete with a one off tune. This should be a very interesting car when finished.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
I found out that if you want it done right you swap EVERYTHING.....

3.6, 02 newer cluster, HVAC, ABS controller, wire harness and 7.8 DME. I am adding the lightweight flywheel, 44lb injectors, complete exhaust, LSD, and my Super charger off of my current 3.2 complete with a one off tune. This should be a very interesting car when finished.

Whoa whoa whoa.....a supercharged 3.6L?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #17

YUP!

They already have the program for the 996 running the VF supercharger and that is how much boost I am running (5-6lbs). In addition I am switching to the Hitachi MAF so we can be a little more creative with the tune. I just hope I do not run out of money and go broke doing this.

My 3.2 is still running fine but when I had a leak down test done cyl 3 and 6 was a little low. I am still driving it and taking it on a 400 mile round trip drive tomorrow. If you know anyone looking for a motor that may need just a set of rings let me know.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #18

If you have an 02 S you should already have the 5.7 ABS controller. I am likely doing a swap into my 02 S as well.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote