View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
RyanPerrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyc
The reason 02 is given as the limit is because the Can bus system that can along with the 7.8 was already in the car at the time.... can bus in the 7.8 ran the PSM, Cruise, ABS, Cluster, and the AC control Unit... the 01 986's had some can bus.... to the cluster, but not the others. In order to get the 7.8 3.6 into your 7.2 boxster you will need a 7.8 DME, reflashed to 3.6 engine management, and have to re-pin the harness to match the new DME layout.... you can get MOST of the info from the Bentley... it has 7.8 pin assignments, but they are a little off at times.... the bentley however does not have wiring diagrams for the 7.8, only 7.2....
Ok in here you say that 01 cars have SOME CAN bus stuff and mention specifically the instrument cluster.

I know in e-mails back and forth you said that an 01 has mostly all CAN bus but here it seems your suggesting only the instrument cluster is CAN bus. What about all the other items mentioned? I hear so many different things about 01 02 cars and depending on the date of the post it seems that 02 got all CAN bus, and then in later posts it seems that 01 in fact had all CAN bus.

Sorry i am confused and just would love some clarification.

What are you guys paying for USED 7.8 DME's? whats a good price? I checked Sunset and NEW they are $1185 and would come with whatever engine map you want i assume. I wonder what it costs to buy ANY 7.* DME and then when i decide to have the 3.8L X51 engine what it costs to have the service department flash the DME to run that specific engine.

Whats the going rate for the used DME, and whats the going rate for a reflash by Porsche to a different factory engine map?

Last edited by RyanPerrella; 08-06-2008 at 08:19 PM.
RyanPerrella is offline   Reply With Quote