Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7676
Is there an easy way of accessing the camber plate adjusters once the coilovers are on the car? I have a very similar setup- Cross Coilovers and the access is quite hard through the small top-mount hole where the strut bolts to.
you can get to them but not easily with an "L" shaped hex wrench. If you grind a little off the short side it's a little easier. The guy who did my alignment was cursing like a sailor the whole time but he was able to get it all dialed in perfectly.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #162

Great old thread, I just read the whole thing. What is the max front camber possible with the k sports set at the maximum position? Can I get at least 3° without gt3 lower control arms?
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #163

OK Ksport fans.

I think my coilover top mounts or worn bushings are creaking/rattling on our crappy Houston roads. Anyone else with a couple of years on their Ksports experience this? If so, what was the cause?

This is driving me crazy and I don't want to disassemble my entire suspension on a witch hunt...

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-01-2014 at 06:32 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #164

Hey Randall-

My Ksports are still going strong. I have had to replace a couple of the hydraulic pistons but they are pretty cheap and not too difficult to do with an impact wrench. Make sure that you haven't blown a seal they'll make a racket when you hit a bump if they have.The pillow ball mounts are still in great shape and I average about 4 DE's per year and those are pretty tough on them. Plus the Ohio roads gotta be worse than whatever you have in Houston.

I get some creaking from the springs but I don't think there is much you can do about that. I replaced the nylon washers and that did help a bit but I will still get an occasional pop on a combo incline/extreme turn like when pulling in my driveway. If you have lowered it take into account that will stress the hydraulics quite a bit more. Less piston travel and more pressure. Replacement parts are pretty cheap though and the guys at Ksport on Phoenix are very helpful. I would recommend that you give them a call and discuss the problems you are having, I'm sure that they can help you pinpoint it. If it's a loud "thunk" when you hit a bump or dip the piston is probably bottoming out and will need to be replaced. I think new ones are about $100.00 each. They have redesigned them and the newer black ones are much better than the ones I originally got.

Happy New Year Randall

Edit-
I forgot to mention that you might want to check your lower control arms as well. I just replaced mine with the Vertex rebuilt ones. Very happy with them and they have replaceable ball joints. I also did all the sway bar links. Best price was on Amazon. That surprised me.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor

Last edited by der Geist; 01-01-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: update
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #165
Rennzenn

Garage
Lee,
I'm at -3.4 up front and -3.2 rear. The rears are about maxed out, but the fronts could go a lot farther.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #166

quick question - you folks getting an adequate track alignment on a lowered csr with these things without using adjustable rear toe control arms? thanks.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #167

Your answer depends on ride height
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Lee,
I'm at -3.4 up front and -3.2 rear. The rears are about maxed out, but the fronts could go a lot farther.
Sounds like I can avoid buying GT3 lower control arms this autoX season. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Your answer depends on ride height
I dont plan to go very low at all, maybe 1/2"-3/4" lower than stock. I prefer to sacrifice the benefits of a lower ride height for tires that stick out of the fenders, in this case, 275s on 17X9s on all four corners (Im running old cup1 rims).
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #169

It looks like the installation PDFs Insite attached back in 2008 have disappeared.
Does anyone have copies that they can re-post?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #170
Rennzenn

Garage
I did have to get adjustable rear toe control arms. The front worked out fine. I'm about 1.5" lower than stock, riding on 275 35 18 rear and 245 35 18 front NT01 tires. The car was aligned using Smart Strings with zero toe up front and maybe 1 mm total toe in the rear. Have a look at my solution for front adjustability...

I should probably be concerned with how OK I am with using a die grinder on my car, but I'm not.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #171

Hahaha, you're nuts! I did the same thing on a friends VW MKV GTI, it looks like the only way to adjust camber.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #172

Got this response from Ksport about my rattle/clunk when I asked how to best troubleshoot the source of the noise.

The boxster has a pillowball upper mount on front and back. The biggest chance for noise would come from the pillowball center bearing, a loose camber adjustment bolt, or sticking spring sliders. Look at your springs and see if they are covered in junk or crusty grease or dirt. Take them out and see if the pillowball top hat moves easily or is really firm to rotate and move around.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #173
Beginner

Garage
I should probably be concerned with how OK I am with using a die grinder on my car, but I'm not.[/QUOTE]

+1!
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #174

how do i upload a PDF? i only see gif/jpg option. i will repost the files if someone can tell me how. i think we had a mod do it before?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #175

Quote:
I did have to get adjustable rear toe control arms. The front worked out fine. I'm about 1.5" lower than stock, riding on 275 35 18 rear and 245 35 18 front NT01 tires. The car was aligned using Smart Strings with zero toe up front and maybe 1 mm total toe in the rear. Have a look at my solution for front adjustability...

I should probably be concerned with how OK I am with using a die grinder on my car, but I'm not.
Any cost in rigidity here?

just picked up an S for my drive to the track car.

Looking for economical improvements without getting too radical.

thx,

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #176

Greetings everybody who knows me. I've been back in Finland since fall 09 and got a update on this posting. No Porsche nowadays, but I'm working on it

Take care buddies!

from somebody who looks for a new used 986S
01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers
- Yellow center console
- Aerokit II wing & trunklid
- Eibach Pro springs
In memoriam: Black 935 Street

Last edited by LowFlyR; 01-09-2014 at 08:07 AM.
LowFlyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #177
Rennzenn

Garage
Tower integrity did not change from the cuts. The KSport hat is a pretty thick piece of aluminum, and all of the stress is distributed away from the cuts.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #178

I contacted K-sport and they refused to give me a 5.3 spring.

"Regarding spring rates, they advised that a 5.3kg up front isn't doable as they don't offer any springs in this design with that rate. "

"They did mention that is only a very small difference from the 6kg that the kit comes with. Regarding the rear, they said they could do the 7.5kg rather than the 8.7 if you'd like. They did warn that the warranty on the struts portion of the coilovers would be voided due to this. They advised that they spring rates offered on this kit were chosen for a specific reason and that by going softer on the spring rate, you do risk possibly damaging the struts that are included. If you'd like to proceed, it is an extra $12 per corner to change to a different spring rate. "

Should I go with 6kg front and 7.5kg rear? and void the warranty or go with the 8.7 rear?

i don't want the ride so rough that my teeth gets rattled out or destroy my wheels.
rionhosaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #179
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Tower integrity did not change from the cuts. The KSport hat is a pretty thick piece of aluminum, and all of the stress is distributed away from the cuts.
I'm not so sure. Round holes are much more structually efficient than square due to stress concentrations at the corners of square holes, not to mention the corresponding reduction in material. Bolt holes should have a minimum of 1.5 times bolt diameter to edge distance for similar reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for owner inspired redesign, I've drilled holes in my intermediate shaft, but the modification should take into account engineering principles. So +1 on stepping out and making the mod. Just the same, the big square hole with the limited bolt hole to edge dimension is outside my comfort zone. I do give seningen props for making the mod. I hope it works well.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #180

Question, I just got a set of Ksports from Ebay.

I dont plan to lower my car much, maybe 0.5". Can I max out the camber in the rear without needing adjustable toe control arms?