Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #61

Here's my alignment numbers. This is the best the shop could do to get my factory struts and suspension in alignment:

Kevin, knowing the information above about what I think is minor subframe damage, does this change your recommendation at all about how to set up the coilovers?

BTW, I am now going to do a thorough web search and learn all I can about alignment and finally learn what has always confused me. This should help me a lot.

Oh, and one other thing... kudos to creating a thread that is now on it's FOURTH page! Wahoo!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #62

randall -

don't just give them your car and say 'align it'. you have to give them the specs. they have neg camber on the front left and POSITIVE camber on the front right. this is in spec, but not technically correct. they should match (and i promise you your car is not the reason they don't).

in the rear, it looks like they could only get down to -1.9deg camber. what they should have done is match the other side to this setting, not simply leave it alone because the computer said it was okay.

your only real issue is the difference in caster between the front wheels. this is probably due to a bent strut and NOT to subframe damage. this problem will likely not exist when you install the ksports.

when you DO have the ksports installed along with your adjustable toe links, there will be NO excuse for not matching the left and right sides.

give them the alignment settings i posted earlier. tell them to hit them. if they can't, have them explain WHY and then tell them to at least match left and right to the same setting, even if it's not the ideal setting. all four corners on your car are so different that it must handle very badly. wait until you see how it feels when they're spot on.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #63

Kevin, thanks so much for the quick response!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Maybe a GB could be in order?????
JP, the KSport people were a little shocked (pun intended!) to hear that Kevin and I bought a full set of coilovers for our boxsters off eBay from different sellers for $1088.00 with free shipping thrown in. I do not think a "group buy" is going to gain any savings.

If Gary and Kevin give good reports, I'd buy them from Insite's eBay seller and request the spring rates on the front and rear he suggests or ends up with that he likes.

Don't take my glowing reports as anything more than an a happy idiot who finally has a porsche with a new suspension and wheel bearings all the way around... something I have yet to experience on my old, beat up, wrecked, and worn out boxster.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #65

I just received a return phone call from Anthony at KSport. He was nice enough to contact the engineers and find out the specs on the new nuts we need for the tops of the coilovers.

I was told we will need 12 "M8 x 1.25" nuts.

Now, where should I go to find these little gems?

Anyone? Beuller? Beuller? Anyone?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #66

Wink

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=fasteners+houston+texas&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #67

I just ordered a dozen from this place. Nine bucks and change.

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=15&cs=201&cm=22&selected=6884
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
JP, the KSport people were a little shocked (pun intended!) to hear that Kevin and I bought a full set of coilovers for our boxsters off eBay from different sellers for $1088.00 with free shipping thrown in. I do not think a "group buy" is going to gain any savings.

If Gary and Kevin give good reports, I'd buy them from Insite's eBay seller and request the spring rates on the front and rear he suggests or ends up with that he likes.

Don't take my glowing reports as anything more than an a happy idiot who finally has a porsche with a new suspension and wheel bearings all the way around... something I have yet to experience on my old, beat up, wrecked, and worn out boxster.

Maybe just a package deal already set up with the proper spring rates, bolts etc etc. It would be nice to just order these and have everything set up as a kit.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #69

I got my replacement rear springs in Friday and haven't had time to post the particulars, but wanted to do it for historical info should anyone read this thread fifty years from now....

The standard Ksport Koilover setup has the following spring rates on their units designed for the Porsche Boxster:

Front - 5.3 kg (stamped 10.5-205)
Rear - 9 kg (stamped 11.5-180)

Insite has recommended that anyone buying a set of Ksport Koilovers for their Boxster should order them with a special request for a different spring rate on the back struts that is closer to the rate of the fronts.

So, the change one would make would be to ask for the rear struts to be fitted with 7.2 kg springs that carry a factory stamp of 11-180.

I know the factory numbers between the 9 and 7.2's are very close (.5) but I verified this twice with Anthony in sales at Ksportusa just to make sure they are 7.2's and not 8's or 8.5's.

And that's all I have to say about spring rates right now. Bye.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-12-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #70

i recommend either of the following:

5.3 front / 7.2 rear (300lb / 400lb) for medium stiffness

OR

7.2 front / 9.0 rear (400lb / 500lb) for firm stiffness

FYI, the 5.3/7.2 combo is closer to the PSS9 rates.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #71

I am glad to see everyone has come around to see the K-sports as the are-a pretty darn good product for the money. Mine are still going strong. I had a slight problem with one of them, a valve blew out and K-sport stood by their warranty like pros. They sent me out a replacement coilover before I sent the blown one back so that I wouldn't lose any road time. Takes long enough to change these things out as it is. Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my $.02 here. For what it's worth I know a lot of people think K-sport is a johnny come lately to this but the fact is that they have been making coilovers in Japan for quite a while and their product is very well known and trusted in many circles.

Randall- I was happy to read that my opinion was a factor in your purchase. I am sure you are gonna enjoy them. You are getting top rate advice from insite, I couldn't possibly add anything to what he has already said but if you ever have any questions you are always welcome to call me and I'll do my best to help you out.

I wouldn't even think about putting these on a car without the helper springs on the front and back.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #72

guys -

i spoke to TCS about putting together a group buy. basically, i can have them put together kits that include either medium or firm rates (300/400 or 400/500) along with the right mounting hardware. they think they can do substantially better than $1,088 shipped if several people order at once. PM me if you're interested in a set of these (once i've reviewed them, clearly) so i can guage the number of people that are looking to purchase.

FYI, since i ordered mine with dyno plots & custom rates, they're taking a little longer than usual. i'll probably receive them mid-week and install next week.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #73

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Hey insite,

If your set up turns out great I'd be willing to give the coil overs a shot.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #74

After you review and give us a good impression one way or another I will decide. I have had the money ear marked for coilovers for a while. It is my stash cash that the wife does not know about so shhh....

Thanks for being the test mule.

have a beer on me!

Josh

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #75
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Hey insite,

If your set up turns out great I'd be willing to give the coil overs a shot.
Insite, if your setup turns out great, I'd be willing to give the coil overs a TEST DRIVE.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Insite, if your setup turns out great, I'd be willing to give the coil overs a TEST DRIVE.

i think we can do that! next track day is september 18th; you'll get the memo on monday.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #77
FTD

Yeow!

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #78

Thanks for the info and review.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #79

anybody know which nuts i need for the top mounts? i know they're a fine thread M10, but i'm not sure if they're 1.0 or 1.25 threads / mm. my coilovers should be here tomorrow or monday and i want to pick up the nuts ahead of time.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #80

I put a link to the right ones earlier on this thread. I got mine in and they fit perfectly, although I will need washers.

I should have bought ones with washers welded on but didn't know this until it was too late.