Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #1

reading light or dome light removal?

on 2002 986
how do you take off the lens on the reading light on top ( by the convertible lock latch) to change the bulb?

fu03steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #2

Dome Light Bulb Replacement: Caution!

I know that this is a dated question; but I just had the experience of changing that bulb, and want to share.... Perhaps it's not too late to prevent others from the Horrible Fate, which found me.

Bentley book says "using plastic prying tool or screwdriver w/ tape wrapped around tip; carefully pry out dome light socket (assembly), left side first."

I followed these instructions (the first time), using a small disposable plastic knife which is usually supplied with my fast-food orders. These work well, in lieu of having a set of plastic trim-tools, and is a good reason, probably the only reason, to keep these disposable items around, as they don't really function well as a knife on a tough burrito....

NOW, comes the sad part of the experience: Bentley does not include the words "super", "extra" or "super-extra" before the word "carefully". There are 2 VERY FRAGILE/BRITTLE plastic spring/tension "legs", on the left end of the dome light assy, which will break if you are the least bit cavalier in the approach with whatever removal tool you use (and a screwdriver w/ tape around the tip ain't one of them..).

When one or both legs are broken; the dome light assy will not snap back into place, nor will it stay there. Your entire dome light assy is now junk, all for the want of replacing a bulb, that doesn't put out much light in the best (darkest) of conditions.

Fortunately; this assy is comparatively cheap, from the Dealer PD, @ $14.95. The P/N for up thru '04 is: 986.632.051.00 (as long as you don't have the rain sensor option), and want to source this through other parts suppliers.
You Have Been Warned.....
superglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the warning. This sort of thing is truly one of the best things about a forum like this. Repair manuals are never going to tell you how they f'ed up the car taking it apart the first time, even though it's probably the most valuable thing they could include.

I've found this sort of advice (from other threads on this forum) really handy when taking the door apart. It's saved me a lot of time and money hearing about what parts are likely to break when following instructions.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #4

For when this comes up again

Just to reinforce what has been said for anyone happening on this old thread: be VERY, VERY careful removing the interior light housing. I read the post, and used a plastic trim removal tool, very slowly and very carefully, after taking a valium and making various small sacrifices to the Porsche gods. I managed to get the housing out without breaking one of the tabs, but then broke both putting it back in!

I think the housing should be considered a consumable part, and simply replaced as a unit when you need to replace a bulb.
Lewis Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #5

These may be an "A" inventory item. Being creative with some Scotch 33+ tape can offer a temporary, possibly long term, solution.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #6

I've used half a folded business card to keep the light assembly in place. It's held for at least a year and counting.
Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
A Porsche Guy

Why are people prying off the lens from the dome to switch out the bulb? You simply remove the alien eyes that cover the IR sensors with your fingernail. Unscrew the two torx bolts securing the dome that contains light/convertible top latch/ir sensor. The dome will drop down and from behind you can now access the bulb socket and replace the bulb. It's so easy you don't even have to unplug anything unless you really want to.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-15-2020 at 12:20 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #8

Garage
Just filed that info in my memory bank for future reference...

Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote