View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
superglide

Dome Light Bulb Replacement: Caution!

I know that this is a dated question; but I just had the experience of changing that bulb, and want to share.... Perhaps it's not too late to prevent others from the Horrible Fate, which found me.

Bentley book says "using plastic prying tool or screwdriver w/ tape wrapped around tip; carefully pry out dome light socket (assembly), left side first."

I followed these instructions (the first time), using a small disposable plastic knife which is usually supplied with my fast-food orders. These work well, in lieu of having a set of plastic trim-tools, and is a good reason, probably the only reason, to keep these disposable items around, as they don't really function well as a knife on a tough burrito....

NOW, comes the sad part of the experience: Bentley does not include the words "super", "extra" or "super-extra" before the word "carefully". There are 2 VERY FRAGILE/BRITTLE plastic spring/tension "legs", on the left end of the dome light assy, which will break if you are the least bit cavalier in the approach with whatever removal tool you use (and a screwdriver w/ tape around the tip ain't one of them..).

When one or both legs are broken; the dome light assy will not snap back into place, nor will it stay there. Your entire dome light assy is now junk, all for the want of replacing a bulb, that doesn't put out much light in the best (darkest) of conditions.

Fortunately; this assy is comparatively cheap, from the Dealer PD, @ $14.95. The P/N for up thru '04 is: 986.632.051.00 (as long as you don't have the rain sensor option), and want to source this through other parts suppliers.
You Have Been Warned.....
superglide is offline   Reply With Quote