Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB.
JP made a post earlier with a link to the agency control arms. They look promising for the high price. I'm starting to work on my suspension and researching information for parts I can add to my car that won't make the car feel unpleasant. So far, I've planned for the TRG sway bars with drop links, and the Pss9 kit. Are there any other suspension parts that I should be looking for? I don't plan to spend too much time at the track, so mostly street driving. I already have the strut and stress bars.
Yes, like I was saying above, I don't think those Agency Power control arms aka "dog bones" will work on the Boxster. I believe they have it mistaken... I don't see any way those fit on a Boxster. Yes, for the 996/997 Carrera, but No for the 986 Boxster, despite what their description says.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Well, got done with my install today, which involved Che's rear toe arms. These did allow us to get an absolutely perfect alignment, however, required some modifications to work which I'm not pleased about. The rod ends on these things are HUGE, and we had to remove some shims from the rod end, and trim the backing plates to get them to fit. Even still, there is barely enough clearance for my 18" BBS RSIIs. There is no way you could fit a 17" wheel now. All told, the added PITA factor for this cost me an extra $100 in labor on my suspension work.

All in all, I could be a bit more pleased with things.

Patrick
Patrick, do you have any pictures, or would you be able to snap some pictures of the modifications you had to do to the trimmed backing plates, and the removed shims? I am not sure exactly which parts you had to modify.

Also, have you noticed any better/worse feel in drive quality, or handling response?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
hahaha, a bit of both! Anyone feel free to add to this, as I don't doubt I'm missing a few, though here is what I see as available options as upgrades for the 986 in terms of suspension arms:

- Lower control arms (front & rear) --> GT3 & GT3 CUP lower control arms
- Adjustable rear Toe arms --> Che aka HardRace, TRG, Tarett, & GMG WC toe arms
- Rear Trailing arm, aka Track arm --> Che/HardRace
- Front "Tension Rod" arm --> Che/HardRace

^^^You know add in the GT3 front sway and drop links and that sounds like a nice set up there. Maybe the coilovers will have to go on the back burner for a month, so I can get all these parts to go on at the same time. I would hate to pay for 2 alignments and corner balance. The finance' now has me on a mod budget...

Oh well that is why we still pay for her undergrad in accounting I guess. How do you all feel about the front adjustable lower control arms? I was planning on just doing the rear.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #24

semi-related question here...

I've got to replace my rear lower control arms as well as the track rod OR the Track control arm (whichever one makes the car go "clunk" when driving over a bump) and I'm thinking of putting in a set of Ksport coilovers while I'm at it.

If I use the Ksports to lower the car, will I have alignment problems in the rear or front or both?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote