Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #1

Unhappy Oil droppings and smoke at startup

These days I drive my 99 Boxster only once every couple weeks. About a month ago I decided to get the oil changed, but at a local garage as opposed to a Porsche dealer or mechanic (there is not one very convenient to where I live). Since that time I have noticed 2 things that I never had before (well I have only owned the car for 2.5 years and have only driven about 4,000 miles with it):

First there is a drop or two of fresh oil under the car now each time I take it out from the garage. It never leaked not even a single drop before.

Second, when I start the car a fairly large puff of bluish white smoke comes out the exhaust. Its only on startup and goes away after the initial puff but it never did this before either. Today I even noticed that it did it a second time after I had let the car sit for a few hours.

Do I need to worry? What could it be? I am of course panicking that it could be the RMS... although it sure seems tied to the oil change event. By the way I checked and the oil level is not over full. The electronic meeter has it half way up.

rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #2

Some ideas:

1-On the oil leak, get the car on a lift and check the drain plug and filter. Likely one or both are leaking. Car requires a crush washer and to have the filter installed correctly.

2-Smoke is normal.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Some ideas:

1-On the oil leak, get the car on a lift and check the drain plug and filter. Likely one or both are leaking. Car requires a crush washer and to have the filter installed correctly.

2-Smoke is normal.

Good luck.
Thanks, that's very comforting, but why did it just start doing the smoke thing?

rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote