Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

Garage
Goodyear Gatorback Belts

I want to change my drive belt this weekend and I didnt get
a chance to stop by the dealer for the Porsche belt. I was
wondering if anyone has used a Goodyear Gatorback drive
belt and what their thoughts on using them are. Thanks for the info.
2002 Boxster s

:dance:

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
bmussatti

Use OEM. Only $28:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=99610215166&Category_Code=ENGMECH
Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #3

Those are good belts - not sure they're any better than OEM though.

The Goodyears cost a couple bucks more but if it's more convenient for you, I say go for it!

Just be certain you have the correct size. I think you're looking at #GTR-4060835 - 83.50 in. Length, is that what you have?

Be sure, compare it to the old belt - it should be very slightly smaller than the old one due to stretching - there is no pre-tension adjustment available, so it has to match.

Also compare the belt profile to make sure it will ride properly on the pulleys.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-22-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the info guys. So I pulled the access plate off on Saturday and inspected the belt. For 55,300 miles it looks to be in really good shape, no signs of cracks or fatigue, so I'm going to take bmussatti's advice and get the oem belt and probably change it out it the fall of 2008.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

You can't judge these belts visually. They have internal cording similar to the belts in a tire.

It's a 60k mi. service item but every major belt manufacturer (Gates, Goodyear, Pirelli) recommend changing serpentine belts every 5 yrs. regardless of mileage, so you're pretty close. Unlike a Timing Belt, if this one breaks, it won't grenade the motor, but it could leave you stranded.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #6

Garage
Yeah, your right Lil Bastard, It would be the wise thing to change out that belt
sooner than later. I called the dealer today just to compare prices with suncoast. (Suncoast $28, dealer $50) So I will order it up tonight and get it on there sometime
next week. Thanks again for all the info guys. I love this forum!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #7

I just tried the Gatorback belt, check part number several times. It's 83.5 in. but it will not go on no matter what I do. It is still and inch short even with the tensioner all the way slack.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #8

I bought one from Napa for my 02 S.
The size is 13/16" x 83-3/4" or 20mm x 2127mm.

edited in it's a Gates belt. One thing comes to mind that you may have non air belt? It's something like 5 inches shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
I just tried the Gatorback belt, check part number several times. It's 83.5 in. but it will not go on no matter what I do. It is still and inch short even with the tensioner all the way slack.

Last edited by Sputter; 06-07-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #9

I used the belt on the left made by Goodyear from the Kragens down the street. $20. I did not try the more expensive Goodyear gatorback.

The first belt they gave me was way too long. The part number on the belt did not match the number on the cardboard sleeve, so it was easy to figure out the wrong belt had been put in the sleeve. Went back and got the correct belt.

Puttting the belt on took some effort because it is stiff when new. Seemed like it was a bit too short at first. But I got it on. You might have someone depress the tensioner all the way so you can use both hands to get the belt on.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-09-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
I bought one from Napa for my 02 S.
The size is 13/16" x 83-3/4" or 20mm x 2127mm.

edited in it's a Gates belt. One thing comes to mind that you may have non air belt? It's something like 5 inches shorter.
Are you trying to slip the belt over one of the pulleys? If so, try sliding it over one of the idler pulleys (the pulleys without the ridges). I found sliding it under the one on the top left next to the alternator the easiest. I'm using a shorter Goodyear belt since installing an underdrive pulley.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #11

That is a good tip. Once the tension is depressed all the way I start removing the belt from this pulley with no ridges. When I thread the belt back on that is also the last pulley to slide the belt under.

Of course that is not the way Porsche says to do it.....

The 83.5 belt is correct. But a new belt is stiff and hard to put in unless you have 3 hands. I am able to do it by myself because I use an 18" breaker bar to depress the tensioner and hold the breaker bar down with my leg. Then I am able to use both hands to thread the belt on.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
That is a good tip. Once the tension is depressed all the way I start removing the belt from this pulley with no ridges. When I thread the belt back on that is also the last pulley to slide the belt under.

Of course that is not the way Porsche says to do it.....

The 83.5 belt is correct. But a new belt is stiff and hard to put in unless you have 3 hands. I am able to do it by myself because I use an 18" breaker bar to depress the tensioner and hold the breaker bar down with my leg. Then I am able to use both hands to thread the belt on.
Yep, that's exactly the one I was referring to. BTW, I'm using either a 82.25 or 82.5 inch belt with the underdrive pulley.

Last edited by heyjae; 06-08-2008 at 12:05 PM.
heyjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #13

So after trying to use the Gatorback belt and stretching it the best in could trying every possible way to get it on I decided to try the $16 Duralast belt from Autozone. Went on like a facoty part. I checked the part number on the Gatorback belt and it was the right one. I checked the Gatorback vs the stock belt vs Duralast belt. The stock belt was 1/2" larger than the Duralast. The Gatorback was 2" shorter than the Duralast. It says it's 83.5 inches, but it isn't. On the bright side, the new Duralast belt cured a terrible whining noise when the A/C was running.

Sean
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
The Gatorback was 2" shorter than the Duralast. It says it's 83.5 inches, but it isn't. On the bright side, the new Duralast belt cured a terrible whining noise when the A/C was running.

Sean
Sorry you had to find out first, I gave up the idea of buying the gatorback and just picked one up from the dealer. Glad you cured the problem.