Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 AM   #1

Water Temp Sensor

I replaced my coolant reservoir last night. Now, i get no reading on coolant temp at the dashboard gauge. Anyone know where the temp sending unit is? I *thought* that the sensor located on the bottom of the coolant reservoir was the water LEVEL sending unit. Is that in fact a temp sensor? if so, for curiosity's sake, where is the water level sensor? thanks.

insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #2

If someone doesn't give you good advice on this, PM toolpants. The dude knows everything about Boxsters!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #3

Well, problem solved, but i still don't know where the temp sensor is. I don't think that it could possibly be located in the reservoir, as this coolant will tend to be a lot less hot than the stuff in the engine. i'm inclined to believe that the sensor in the reservoir is in fact for the coolant level. Most liquid level indicators use a tube running into the liquid with a magnet around it. the magnet floats. a pickup sensor is then inserted into the tube and uses the magnet's level to sense the liquid level. looking closer at the reservoir, it appears that this is what the reservoir sensor does.

i'd venture to guess that the temp sensor is located somewhere near the thermostat or in one or both radiators. any takers?
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #4

Send me an e mail and I will show you were the temperature sensor is located.

You probably need to burp the system.

Scott

mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote