Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #21

Man, that doesn't sound right. If it only adjusted the reading +/- 5%, then it should read close enough now. Do you have another dealer nearby that you can go to? I'm lucky in that there are 3 large Porsche dealers and RUF within a short drive from my house.

I haven't checked my new cluster to see if the gauge is registering correctly yet, as I am also doing some other mods/hacks at the same time and have yet to reconnect the battery.

I'm not sure how the dealership deals with the "exactly 12 liters" part of the calibration. They must drain the tank and then add "exactly 12 liters". If my fuel gauge is off, I'm going to have RUF do the calibration as they never look at me funny and scratch their head when I ask about something. It's either "no problem", "yes sir" or they give me an explanation as to why it can't be done without making me feel stupid.

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #22

Thumper-

My thoughts exactly. If all you could account for was a plus or minus five perfect adjustment, theres no way it could be off as much as it is now, nor would you need a specific amount of fuel in the tank- the system would simply have a over/under calibration based in percent if that was the case.

That said, I'm nearly certain they simply dont know what they're talking about (which doesnt surprise me in the slightest). So I'm either going to talk directly to one of the tech's or go to another dealer in a neighboring town.

Trust me, I wish I lived near a RUF center.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #23

Cluster

Looks great...
Old 05-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #24

Getting close to low fuel after DME/ cluster re-set at full tank....so we'll see how this goes.....

Patrick
Old 05-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #25

Putting a 996 cluster in a Boxster is nothing new. Do not remember anyone having an isssue with the fuel gauge - unless they used a C4 cluster.

If the problem continues.

Is your 996 cluster new or used? If used, then can you rule out the fact it may have had a bad gauge and that is why it was sold.

How do you know for sure it came from a C2?

Last edited by Tool Pants; 05-19-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #26

I realize this is nothing new, and I was hoping for no issues related to it. Aside from the fuel issue (basically my 996 cluster is about 1/8 tank optimistic) all is well. Gentleman I purchased it from pulled it out of his C2 when he did a full interior gut to turn it into a track car, I have not cross checked the part #, but have no reason to suspect it not being from a C2.

If the DME/custer re-set does not work, I will just have the dealer calibrate the fuel sender to the cluster and I have to think that should cure all issues.

Patrick
Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #27

Just found a pic of the back of the cluster, it is attched. Can someone verify what series 996 this is from?

Part #: 996 641 980 76 70C
Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #28

Pic attached
Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #29

Best I can tell from the 996 parts manual is that it is for a '02+ Carrera 2. The only numbers that didn't match up was the 76. The parts manual does list a 996 641 981 76 70C, but it lists it as a Carrera 2 / 4 / 4S.

By the way, I was able to get my cluster in on Sunday. The first cluster I tried was fried, but the second one works great (it's nice to have a backup). Mine's a tiptronic and the tiptronic readout works great. I did the OBC hack at the same time and the dot matrix display is very cool. I filled my tank prior to the swap and the new cluster read full when I put the power to it. I also did the litronic retrofit yesterday.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #30

Per my parts guy 996 641 980 76 70C is discontinued and replaced by 996 641 981 73 70C.

PET is screwed up for 996 641 981 73 70C. After the part number it lists 480 which is the option code for a 6 speed. But it does not list a second code. Such as 339 for a C4 and 338 for a C2.

So, I cannot confirm from the part number if it came from a C4 or C2. Just that it came from a manual transmission 996.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #31

Thanks for the help guys. So it appears that this is a C2 cluster. I'm going to see if this reads correct as it gets low on fuel (after my DME/cluster reset), if not, off to the stealership we go to properly calibrate the cluster to the sender.

Patrick
Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #32

What does DME stand for?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #33

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Dang, Im so amped to do this mod, Can anyone give me the Part Number of a dot matrix cluster that will work for a 1997 boxster, and from what year to what year's & models will fit incase i find some without the part number listed online. THANK IN ADVANCE!

Would this part number fit my 1997 boxster, 996 641 223 01 70C ?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 05-22-2007 at 07:14 AM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #34

The dot matrix cluster started in 2002. It will not work on a 1997.

The 996 clusters that work on a 1997 are 1999-2000 and I also believe 2001. The 996 cluster needs to be from a C2.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #35

Okay, a few questions here:

1) What does DME stand for?
2) Can I get the C2 cluster for an 01 Boxster Base Model? If so does anyone have the right part number?
3) Do all of the other warrning lights and functions still work the same? Does this reset the odemeter?
4) Does the C2 have the light for our covertible tops? The one that stays on until it's closed all the way. Spoiler light?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #36

DME is the german term for ECU, i.e. engine computer (well more than just engine in modern cars but you know what I mean).

As far as doing the cluster swap for the "Older" generation clusters, it will have to be from a C2 up to 01. These used light bulbs instead of LEDs for the idiot lights, so you will likely have to put a bulb in for the convertible and spoiler lights. All the warnings, etc will work properly then. You will have the mileage from the new cluster, as that is where the data is stored.

Patrick
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
DME is the german term for ECU, i.e. engine computer (well more than just engine in modern cars but you know what I mean).

As far as doing the cluster swap for the "Older" generation clusters, it will have to be from a C2 up to 01. These used light bulbs instead of LEDs for the idiot lights, so you will likely have to put a bulb in for the convertible and spoiler lights. All the warnings, etc will work properly then. You will have the mileage from the new cluster, as that is where the data is stored.

Patrick
Sounds kind of risky with the milage thing. If you sell your car later on, how does the person buying it know the real milage? Did you have to have it reprogramed to the correct milage, or did you leave it with the new milage on the odometer. I would not want to show a false odometer reading and with one that shows more than is actually on the car.

And how did you get white face gauges? I only see black ones for sale. Did you get a later model one that came this way or did you switch them out?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #38

Still no answer?!

Sounds kind of risky with the milage thing. If you sell your car later on, how does the person buying it know the real milage? Did you have to have it reprogramed to the correct milage, or did you leave it with the new milage on the odometer. I would not want to show a false odometer reading and with one that shows more than is actually on the car. It's also illigal to change you odometer reading on a car that you are selling. Not that you selling yours. Just something to think about.

And how did you get white face gauges? I only see C2 black ones for sale. Did you get a later model one that came this way or did you switch them out?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #39

The white faced gauges are factory, but rather rare from my understanding. As to the mileage, I had mine re-coded to match my old cluster before I put it in.

Patrick
Old 05-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
The white faced gauges are factory, but rather rare from my understanding. As to the mileage, I had mine re-coded to match my old cluster before I put it in.

Patrick
How much does re-coding cost? And did you also need to buy the outside trim piece for the extra 2 gauges? Looks like a different shape from the factory 986 one.