Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #1

Clutch Performance / Indications of Wear.

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on clutch wear indications.

My 98 Boxster's clutch is concerning me, especially after my friend that has a 2001 Boxster took it out for a drive. He indicated to me that he thought the clutch seemed funny.

Anyway, my drivetrain doesn't really engage until the last 15% of the upward travel of the pedal.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am worried that my clutch is close to going.

Is there a way to change or adjust the pedal travel to allow for the engagement to be closer to the mid point of the travel? Or am I just looking at a new clutch being required very soon.

The car drives well and I do not feel any slippage.

Please let me know what you may think about my condition and as always...

Thanks to all!

Tom

Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #2

if it's not slipping, it's probably okay. the engagement points will be different on a lot of cars. the clutch is self-adjusting, so nothing to change.

if you want to double check, put it in fourth at about 2200 RPM's and floor it. if the clutch doesn't slip, you're alright.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Checking the Clutch

Insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
if you want to double check, put it in fourth at about 2200 RPM's and floor it. if the clutch doesn't slip, you're alright.
Thanks for your fast response. I assume the 2,200 RPM's in fourth is the worst case scenario and therefore the most likely to cause slippage...correct?